Can Bobrova & Soloviev make the podium at the 2014 Olympics?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 28, 2013.

?

What medal if any will Bobrova & Soloviev win at the 2014 Olympics

Poll closed Apr 28, 2013.
  1. Gold

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Silver

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Bronze

67 vote(s)
    67.0%
  4. No medal

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Just as judgejudy27, I don't see were they are technically superior than those teams. Unlike especially C/L they have regularly failed to get good levels on their step sequences and SD sequences, they often have problems with their twizzles, and their lifts are not all that great. Of course, skating skills are also technique, but they are not a significant part of TES (they are only somewhat reflected in step sequence GOEs), more of PCS. And, to tell the truth, that's the only advantage that they have. Their transitions are not the best, they skate quite far apart, Ilinykh's posture is also not ideal, and I don't think that their interpretation, or their overall execution and performance is truly better than C/L's and W/P's (although judge's marks may sometimes say otherwise).

I am not sure about "almost all" at all - I don't remember reading that many comments on this board that definitely said that W/P's SD (not OD ;)) was better. And if some people didn't like P/B's SD, then it had more to do with the concept of the dance, not with execution. P/B had a mistake in twizzles, but W/P had one level less in their rumba sequences. And higher PCS is understandable, since apparently P/B's skating skills are still better than W/P's (I am not such an expert, but so the more knowledgeable people say). As for the FD - people feeling that W/P were stronger may have had more to do with them liking that FD better than P/B's. It's true that at Worlds W/P had a higher technical base value - P/B closed the gap with the help of GOEs, and won the FD over W/P with the help of PCS. True, the gap in PCS could have been smaller, but that wouldn't have helped W/P to get the bronze.

2. zerom10

zerom10 New Member

Most likely for silver, but colud be gold. Very talented team for sure.

3. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Well, of course the politicking has already started. Already in their SD they received very generous PCS, so the judges clearly wanted them to medal. I think that even if P/B had skated better, B/S still would have won with a small margin.
    Ice dance results are the easiest to manipulate and Team Russia only have V/T as a sure podium lock. So they definitely need more medals (especially if their President is so obsessed with figure skating), I would bet a lot of money for B/S's bronze. Don't you remember what happened in Vancouver in ice dance?

4. elif

elif Active Member

Sorry but ice dance judging makes sense to me more than 2013 men, pairs and ladies competitions. I don't think Bobrova/Soloviev's medal results of the politicking. They have a good, original free dance, clean elements, very good skating skills. To me ice dance not just politicks anymore.

Like Zhiganshina-Gazsi and Bobrova-Soloviev, I think ISU judges wants to see original/interesting programs. If next year they came up with a good program, why not?

5. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Denkova/Staviski were dumped down to fifth in 05 then had an exceptional chance at olympics with a fabulous CD but then messed up in the OD :( bronze could well have been theirs even silver .They of course won two world's after that so anything can happen .:p

6. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

This is pretty much how I feel.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Any medal that wanst gold was treated as a huge loss so bronze for b/s like bronze for d/s wouldn't mean anything.

8. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Can you see I/K delivering? Seriously, I'm curious.

In terms of getting levels, C/L and W/P are certainly better. That W/P trounced them on levels this year with the lack of preparation speaks to that. C/L have gotten straight level fours before and under Shpilband will certainly be a force there.

You mention I/K's technical superiority, but it's worth pointing out that"*At their best*, deeper edges, how easily speed is gained per push of the blade, better run to the blade and ice coverage" is actually a fairly narrow component - Skating skills and some choreography in there. So even marked fairly and cleanly, that aspect won't gain them a whole heck of a lot over W/P (over C/L, probably).

I thought B/S deserved the bronze this year, fwiw.

9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think it's different for BS because DS were reigning world champions. BS are only reigning bronze medallists. (Although so were Virtue and Moir)

10. caseyedwards

It's gold or nothing! Silver Bronze medals were won by a handful in 2010 but they only counted the three golds as successes. you succeed with gold or you fail. Sure all the medal winners got some recognition from the government but only because they were going by what the Olympics consider worthy.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think a bronze medal would mean a ton to B&S. They were thrilled and emotional to have won their World bronze, and an Olympic bronze at home would mean even more. Only a total idiot thinks they have a prayer of Olympic Gold next year, and I am sure they dont think they do either, so why would they be dissapointed with a bronze if it happens.

12. caseyedwards

I am sure they personally would be fine with it and all the athletes in Vancouver who won silver and bronze accepted them and show them off but Vancouver even with the silver and bronze winners was considered and is considered one of the all time athletic flops of Russia so b/s personal view if the bronze would be meaningless because it's second loser to the sports federation of Russia.

13. judgejudy27

Well that is all that matters. The truth is a gold medal for them is completely unrealistic, and the sports federation of Russia will have to hope for their gold medals elsewhere. They still might get one in figure skating with V&M.

14. caseyedwards

If that's all that matters to them that's fine as long as if they win bronze they will ignore all the press about the ice dance catastrophe that happened and how can Russia fix it's broken ice dance program that you saw with d/s bronze and how can they actually win an ice dance worlds Olympics event again.

15. judgejudy27

V&M are retiring after Sochi anyway, and I have a feeling if D&W continue after Sochi their scores will start to plummet starting in 2016 at the latest, as the judges will be ready to see someone new on top. I think we will see the Russians strongly contending for gold in dance again soon, just wont happen at the Sochi Olympics is all.

16. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Yeah, V&M and D&W might both skip the Worlds 2014 and ta-daa B&S will be the new world champions! And I guess P&B will also retire after Sochi.

17. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

If P/B win the OB why should they retire if they have a chance of WG ? especially if D/W aren't there . I think they will only retire after olympics if they are dumped as many already think they are :rolleyes:

18. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

B/S could win if the USA and Canada boycott the Olympics to protest mistreatment of gay people by the Russian Government.

19. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

They wont so what does it matter. If they do it will probably mean Tessa retired early due to her leg problems which opened up another medal for the others, and would still probably be a retirement gift that they be wise to heed.

I agree Bobrova & Soloviev will become World Champîons soon although not super happy about it. A gold at the Games would be a big upset hough.

20. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Well I'm not giving up on P/B :p