Can a Skater enjoy competition into their 40s?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Jul 2, 2012.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I never heard the details about that court case.. care to elaborate? :)

2. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Still, not too shabby:

"Dara Torres will be watching the Summer Olympics from her home in Florida, instead of heading to her sixth games at the age of the 45.

The Cuban-American missed making a record sixth U.S. swim team by nine-hundredths of a second, finishing fourth in the 50-meter freestyle on the last night of the trials Monday."

3. AlisonS

AlisonS Member

There is no reason that skating could not develop events where people could compete longer. There could be events where people just do a short or just do a long or even bring back some figures! Not sure why there is no expansion of the discipline. We watch every conceivable distance and stroke of swimming at the Olympics, which is not exactly a thrill a minute.

4. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

I saw a recent video of Alexei Urmanov teaching - still has all triples and a beautiful 2 axel - if Jason Brown is a contender he certainly is. I don't think he is quite 40 yet!

5. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Age doesn't prohibit doing both a short and a long. After all, they never schedule them on the same day. As long as you've got 24 hours in between, it shouldn't be a problem, even for an over 40 person.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

The whole appeal process took over a year, so I don't think it helped Jo's performance at the Olympics, either. The initial appeal Miriam made was after the 2005 4CC which (for reasons that escape me) was used to determine next year's Turin spot. This article has a good summary of how things happened.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/AOC-unhappy-with-CAS-suggestions/2006/01/25/1138066861508.html

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, I had a dream the other night. Oksana Domnina's true birth year was revealed to be 1942, same year my mom was born. I was like "that chick is almost 70??? So. . . she won a world title with Shabby-Knees when she was like 60-something?" :lol:

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol: Very good

9. icellist

icellist Member

Long live Fumie Suguri!!!!

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

They have the Youth Olympics maybe they should have the Senior Olympics for advanced adult athletes ... but with a better name.

11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.. I never understood why there was a court case, other than there was one. It does seem weird to decide who is going to the Olympics a year in advance... it would be easier to have Nationals as the decider, or an official skate off.

12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The ISU Adult International Competition, held in Obertsdorf, Germany, in late spring every year, has an elite division. Midori Ito has competed the last two years.

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'd say 3 to 5. The amount a person can reasonably win in a single games. (Although an extraordinary swimmer can earn even more, so maybe we have to say 1 figure skating gold = 8 swimming golds? However, most Olympics won't have one person win 8 gold medals, and ALL olympics will have a person getting 1 figure skating gold medal)

Yes, but she is NOT competing at an elite level like standard eligible track competitions, so I don't think that goes with what the OP was asking, which was, like Dara Torres, could a skater in their 40s compete at the Olympics. She is a beautiful skater, but her Obsterdorf programs were nothing like what her skating used to be.

I think it MIGHT be possible, but it would be a HUGE toll on the body. I also think it would be more likely to be a man who started in his late teens, rather than a girl who likely peaked in her late teens. I also don't think it would be someone from USA/Japan etc, where the competition from younger skaters is stiff, but rather someone from a country with a small program where they are relatively unchallenged and just have to keep up a minimum standard to stay in the elite levels.

14. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I think it's cool that adult competitions are available, and that Midori competes in them. But let's face it, she was a whole lot more exciting when she was 19 years old and exploding with athleticism. Skating (esp. singles) is a young person's sport. It's great that older skaters continue to love competition, but it will never generate the level of interest that the more competitive and athletic youngsters do.

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't think they should have a senior olympics per se. The junior one is pointless enough without an old age equivalent. I do love the idea of senior IJS international competitions. Michelle Kwan could compete against Tara Lipinski. It would satisfy all the weirdos in the United States who have not yet moved on since 1998 and entertain the rest of us. I'd really LOVE to see Butyrskaya, Ito, Yamaguchi and every last one of them who can still do a sit spin competing under IJS.

16. natalia65

natalia65 New Member

I would not say the same about spectators.

17. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

No, it's not possible, unless you're an ice dancer. That's the hard reality of figure skating.

18. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

THIS

19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I agree, but it will not happen because of money. In swimming, 8 people can compete at once and it's over in 2 minutes, whereas letting everybody do their program, or going out there to stare at a figure, takes a couple of hours.

They could easily do some shorter events like jump and spin but regardless, each skater would have to go one-at-a-time and that takes time ($money$).

The only reason the ISU promotes the team competition, instead of synchro, is because they can "recycle" the same athletes and not have to pay for a whole team of new ones to fly in, get room and board, and practice.

MONEY. That's the reason.

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

This thread title... :lol: I wonder how old is the person who came up with the title/ question?

Why not ask The Protopopovs. :)

Some of us are just hitting our stride at age 40, or should be. ;)

Yes it's true that athletes/ dancers physically start to wear out in their mid to late thirties, but mentally, emotionally and psychologically we're still babies in our thirties in terms of life experience and reaching the full capacity of what we can accomplish. Its also true that biologically, humans have only evolved to where we use just a small portion of our brains. So maybe as we evolve more spiritually and mentally, we might be able to figure out a way to extend our physical capacities, who knows?

As to the question, I would respond with these questions: Are skaters still alive in their 40s, their 50s, their 60s and beyond? Are they still breathing and getting out on the ice? Do they still gain enjoyment from physical exertion and from excelling at what they do? Look at the successful senior tours in tennis and golf. (It's a shame there aren't those kind of avenues for skaters who retire from the eligible ranks). Athletes and people in general I think have a hard time stopping doing something that has been the major focus of their lives, and that has given them so much in so many ways.

ETA:

Okay, previously I had just read the thread title and responded. Looking back over your initial post, I can see the slant you were taking, olympic. But still, re the essence of your question, yes I think anybody can do whatever they really will themselves to do. Many skaters continued skating and winning into their 30s and 40s I believe when figure skating competitions first began. Today, however, looking at the realities of the situation, of course it is harder to remain competitive in figure skating beyond 35 I would think, yet that doesn't mean it can't be done. There are skaters in their late twenties who are still competing successfully and many pairs skaters who compete into their early thirties. And of course The Protopopovs are unique and incredible.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Speaking to some male ice dancers, many of them already have issues with backs, hips, knees, ankles in their 20s. They tell me it's about lifting a partner who is - in ice dance - often relatively tall, and the forces involved in those lifts and spins.

22. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I agree. The judges will throw you out eventually. :kickass: