Cameras saving competitions for Tape/DVD.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Dec 25, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,we know that the 1961 Nations was the first to ever be shown on TV....but...does anyone happen to know,how far back in Skating history we go with the tecnoligy (if you want to call it that) to at least use cameras to save competitions for when we want to put them on Tape/DVD? I ask this because I happened to be at my Rink,when a competion tape Lamilla and Orge (I can't spell their names) were watching from when they skated was on. Does anyone know how that was possible? As we didn't have even VCRS back then. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov competed in and won Pairs gold at the 1964 and 1968 Olympics and the first televised Winter Olympics was in 1960, according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics_on_television
    Does anyone know the year the first World Championships was televised worldwide?

What year was the earliest movie footage of figure skating at the Olympic and/or Worlds?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  3. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

The winter games of 1928 (in Switzerland) and 1936 (Germany) winter games were filmed, with most sports and the opening/closing ceremonies shown on newsreel, in cinemas around the world.

4. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Oops - maybe earlier, 1924.
    Here's a montage of clips of Olympic winter games, from 1924 (Chamonix, FRA) to 1968.