Camera Coverage

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DarrellH, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I always thought this camera at the Goodwill Games in 1998 was interesting. It worked well some of the time, but the downside was it only moves laterally...and it was only on one side of the rink...and the skater sometimes got away from it...yeah, come to think of it, it kinda sucked too. :p

I know they use one like it in some of the exhibition shows as well. But the overhead camera definitely aggravates me, especially when they show it during spins. You can't get a sense of what a spin looks like from a top-down view!:mad:

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

LOL! Or the Truth Booth; we have to find a sponsor for it.

"Truth Booth presented by the American Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals."

3. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I remember sitting right next to and in back of the ESPN team that was returning to NY after the 2005 Portland Nationals. ESPN had used the overhead cam for the first time that year and they were congratulating each other about it. I restrained myself from telling them that the overhead perspective absolutely sucked.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I'd be more then happy and honored to do this since I am a field producer and director in TeeVee

5. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Yes, the video direction this season at NHK was excellent. :respec: It really does enhance the presentation and enjoyment of the performances.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Restrained yourself? Whatever for?

8. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

The camera angle that puzzled me was one of Brian Joubert's Grand Prix programs last season. Brian was doing a footwork sequence and the camera zoomed in on his crotch for a full 2 or 3 minutes. I thought the camera operator must've taken a coffee break. I can only assume the cameraman was aiming for the knees and missed.

9. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

That's not the assumption I made...:smokin:

10. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

But it's worse when they separate and the camera can't keep both in shot, and all you can see is blank ice and leg or an arm on each side of frame. I blame the director for not changing shot in those cases, but as a fall back I'd prefer one skater to none!

11. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

That camera has been used for years in synchro, with varied degrees of success: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=afn9qM4f1fk#t=269s. If you back up a bit farther in the video, you also get a great example of how NOT to use an overhead cam, when a rotating formation travels right out of the frame. :D

Bonus feature: if you scroll to the start of that video, there's an interview with Josiane Lamond, who currently designs skating dresses. She's designed for Cynthia Phaneuf in the past.

12. midori

midori Well-Known Member

As much as I hate the skycam, the spider cam is much worse. It just makes you feel dizzy to sick, and makes any good spin looks traveling.

But the worst camera coverage is by certain TV station in Japan, which loves to use close-up of the AUDIENCE during performances :wall::wall: