Camel spin change of edge

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Artifice, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Artifice

Artifice Guest

How the change of edge should be done on a camel spin (outside edge to inside edge) ?
    It seems that one "falls" on the inside edge soon after changing edge.

2. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

With all my daughter's change edge spins, what seems to help is bringing the left arm across her body, even so far as to touch her right shoulder with her left hand, sometimes keeping the left shoulder and left elbow high and level. It seems to counterbalance that "pull" into the center of the spin when she changes edges. After she got the feel of the change and counterbalance, she was able to be more free with left arm position. She spins counter clockwise. The change front sit has been challenging.

She also says that keeping the weight toward the middle/back of the blade on the change helps her, but I don't know how common that is or how it's taught.

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Just to clarify: a "camel" is done on a BI edge; a "back camel" is done on a BO edge.

Or, are you talking about the entrance hook for the camel? (FO=>BI 3) If that is what you mean, then the secret is to ensure that your body is centered over the spinning foot, side-to-side and front-to-back. The free leg MUST be stretched behind the skating leg with the free foot up at high height or higher. (It feels like the foot's behind your head.) Most people that fall to the inside edge on a camel entrance are letting free leg drift to the side, often to effect the turn. No good - have to freeze the free leg behind and not let the hip open.

If the OP means a change edge within the forward Camel spin from a FO to a BI, that's different.

Most skaters start with the BI edge and then change to the FO edge, but to do it in reverse, the skater has to change both direction and blade edge very quickly without losing their balance. In a way, it's a twizzle off the back of the blade to change from FO to a BI spin on the front/rocker of the blade.

You do need to bend the knee slightly, check shoulders to the right, then quickly reverse as the edge changes. If you're pulling out of a forward camel onto a deep back inside edge, you're too far back on the blade. Pick up your heel and keep it off the ice.

For a back camel, which starts on a BO edge, think about spinning forward and let the blade shift diagonally to effect the edge change. It starts on a BO rocker and ends up on the FI edge, more towards the back of the blade. It's a quick change, and it helps to bend the knee and increase the depth of the BO edge just before you rock the blade.

If you're falling the inside on a back camel with a FI edge, you're too far forward on the blade. It could just be body alignment: make sure you're not breaking at the waist or allowing the head/shoulders to rock forward too far. Pick up your toes inside your skate and stretch the legs into more of a front-to-back split.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  4. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Whoops! Sorry. I have change edge spins on my mind! :)

5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Artifice, you'll need to come back and clarify what you're asking.

I understood it as how to start in a back camel spin on the back outside edge and change to forward inside, which is completely different from what FigureSpins understood; the answers would be different too. (Not that I can actually do the change of edge myself in a position that counts for features any more)

6. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Thanks for your advises.
    I was actually talking about the change of edge, as said in my first post and in the title. From BOE to FIE.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

So you are talking about a back camel spin (e.g., flying camel)?

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Yes, but a "camel" doesn't normally start on a BO edge; a "back camel" starts on a BO edge.
    That's what's confusing about your OP.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Yes.
    Whatever, it is the change of egde from BO to FI that I'm wondering about.

10. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

For a back camel, which starts on a BO edge, think about spinning forward and let the blade shift diagonally to effect the edge change. It starts on a BO rocker near the toerake and ends up on the FI edge further back on the blade. It's a quick change, and it helps to bend the knee and increase the depth of the BO edge just before you rock the blade.

If you're falling to the inside on a back camel with a FI edge, you're too far forward on the blade. It could just be body alignment: make sure you're not breaking at the waist or allowing the head/shoulders to rock forward too far or to the left. The weight shift shouldn't be too dramatic - you're not changing feet, just pressure point on the blade. Pick up your toes inside your skate and stretch the legs into more of a front-to-back split since a common mistake is to open the free leg to the side.

11. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Thank you ! :)