Calling on bakers for help...please.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by milanessa, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I never worry about the size of the pan, but then I usually only bake quick-rising breads. Surely 8 versus 9 inches shouldn't make a difference.

A tall, rectangular loaf pan is certainly not the same as a low, square one, but I've always had the same results for quick breads.

Recently I made a zucchini chocolate bread that didn't turn out more like a brownie than a quick-bread, although it was delicious. The bread/brownie was equally over-moist in both types of pans.

2. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I do a lot of baking & I can't remember ever scorching the bottom. It sounds like your oven gets hotter than the gauge says. Try turning it 25 degrees lower.

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Blondie ingredients are still sitting on the counter, well except for the eggs and butter. :lol: It's been a busy couple of days.

Doggie stayed here 2 nights - didn't jump into bed with with me but I did sleep in the guest room. I called the animal shelters and most of the vets in town to see if anyone had reported him missing - no luck. None of the neighbors I checked with recognized him. At first I took him outside for "relief" but he stayed close to the house and wanted to go back in right away. Then I let him out on his own and stood by the door. He did what he needed to do and barked at the door to come back in. Then I let him out and went into the kitchen for a moment - I expected him to bark and after less than 2 minutes I went to the door and he was gone, not seen since. I'm hoping he found his way home. I was supposed to take him to the vet that morning to check for a microchip but didn't have the chance.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

And just like that the universe snatches the wiener dog away from us. :wuzrobbed

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I have an electric Kitchenaid double oven. A religious one, at that, it has a Sabbath mode :). It can do regular baking and convection. I have not gotten used to the convection. But, that shouldn't scorch the bottom, right? It does cook hot, though. I think I will try your suggestion. I have to bake for my daughter's engagement party on Sunday. I think I'll cook the baked ziti lower too :).

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Aww I hope he's on his way home too. :fragile:

7. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, you also might try putting the rack higher.

8. cruisin

Awww :( poor doggy. I am assuming there was no collar. We have a neighbor who has a Ruby Cavalier. They have a collar on the dog that is so lose that it slips out all of the time. Fortunately, we all know who's dog it is, and we bring him home. But, if that dog ever wandered out of the neighborhood...:( It actually upsets me that they are so irresponsible, but it's not my dog.

I had a dog follow me home when I was walking Cooper, one day. It was a Maltese type dog. Seemed well cared for and had a collar and tag with a phone number. I caught the dog and brought it to my house. But, couldn't bring it in, My dog was attacked once, I was not going to traumatize Cooper. I called the number on the collar, no answer. Called several times over the course of 2 hours. I had an appointment and had to leave. I was not going to bring a strange dog into my house with my dog. So, I called Animal Control, explained the situation, tied the dog up on my deck (13' off the ground, so it was safe), and left it for AC to pick up. I then called the owner to let them know what I did and where they could p/u their dog if they got there before AC. The dog was picked up. The owner never called me back. Even after several calls (over several days) to make sure they had their dog back. I finally called AC to make sure the dog was back home, it was. But, I was :mad: that the owner couldn't at least call me back and let me know they had their dog back.

9. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I was going to say this as well.

I was having things bake on the bottom and edges too quickly but not in the middle for awhile. My father-in-law checked the temperature for me and sure enough it was off. Majorly off. Like 80 degrees high. He reset the thermostat and no more problems. It is a common issue regardless of how new or old or expensive or cheap an oven is. It is also a quick and easy fix so it might be worth checking the temp and calling a repair man.

(I didn't need a repair man because FiL is one).

10. cruisin

Thanks, I didn't know that was an option :)