Calling all runners - newbie advice and motivation needed!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by floskate, Aug 21, 2012.

1. floskate

floskate Vacant

Well seeing as this has been resurrected, a little update :) I'm on week 4 and now running 16 minutes total in two lots of 3min and 5 min splits with walks in between. I've crossed the line where we're now running more than walking. Four more runs and then the first real test - 20 minutes without stopping!!

Thank you all for the advice. I'm loving this program, I feel better than I have in years and the inches are coming off, as well as my fitness levels going up. So many people are asking what the difference is and commenting on how well I look and that I've lost weight :cheer: But what's really great is that I really do love to run. Now that's something I never thought I'd ever say. :lol:

2. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^ Cool!!!

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Good for you floskate! Wish I could still run or even walk for fitness. I can hardly stand up straight anymore. Unfortunately, everything that can go wrong with a spine runs in my family, and even with all the hormones and calcium and exercise in younger years, I'm still pretty pathetic! Run for me, will you?

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

I'm bumping this thread for completely self indulgent reasons but I don't care. :p This morning, exactly 2 months since starting to run, I completed my C25K program!! I'm now running easily for 30 minutes, have a PB for 5K of 28:31 and have lost a total of 15 inches from my chest, midriff, waist and hips!

I never thought I would be able to do something like this but it's only the beginning and I'm looking forward to many more happy years running :) Thanks to all for the advice. It paid off :D

manhn, Erin, allezfred and 3 others like this.
  5. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Flo, I'd see your doctor before going much further, especially if you're injury prone. Running isn't for everyone and it can cause injury or bring back old injuries. It really is good to have a check up and consult a doctor before starting a new exercise regime. Perhaps speak to your doctor and see if he/she thinks it's worth you following that up with anyone else based on your history.

ETA: oops. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread! Congratulations on your achievements floskate! :respec:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Congratulations, that is amazing!! I'll try not to be too jealous that in 2 months, you've run a 5K faster than I ever have ;) (It took me 5 years to achieve a 30:00 5K, but obviously speed must not be my thing.)

On a more serious note, I'm glad to see that you're hooked and sharing your story. So many people (myself included) assume that they would never be able to do something like this, and we're almost always wrong, so it's great to get the word out.

7. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Wow!! Congratulations Floskate! You set a goal for yourself and accomplished it and then some. 15 inches? Running for 30 minutes straight? Amazing! :respec:

8. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Floskate, also meant to ask, do you notice a big difference in your energy level?

9. floskate

floskate Vacant

Thanks Pollyanna, Erin and Angelskates. Yes a huge difference....so long as I stay away from bread. It still makes my energy levels plummet. I'm going to try gluten free to see if that makes a difference.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You already know how pleased I am for you, floskate.
    However, I wanted to post it here, also.

11. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Congratulations, floskate!