1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Political Races - 2010

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by UMBS Go Blue, Jun 2, 2010.

1. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue CLINTON / KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

With one week to go until the California primary, I thought it'd be nice to start a thread where we can discuss all the interesting races going on. So, starting off:

U.S. Senate

Senator Barbara Boxer (D) is running for a fourth term. Although California is a solidly Democratic state, she is vulnerable in the general election. Maybe it's my personal bias, but from people I've talked to, there's a perception that she's been far too lucky in her races for far too long.

The Republican field is crowded. Tom Campbell is a former congressman, state senator, and dean of the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley. He is as socially moderate as it gets in the GOP (pro-choice, pro-gay marriage), and he also has a reputation for not being afraid to hand out harsh fiscal medicine. But, sadly, he has no money.

Carly Fiorina is the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard and was a very effective spokesperson for John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign until she said that neither McCain nor Sarah Palin had what it takes to run a major corporation. She does have celebrity status and lots of cash. Among the Senate candidates she's been the only one consistently on the airwaves. She has aggressively positioned herself as a conservative, siphoning off support that would otherwise go to conservative Rep. Chuck DeVore, the 3rd major GOP candidate in the race. She even won Palin's endorsement. Let's not forget that she's also put forth some eye-catching web ads (ad 1, ad 2).

2. UMBS Go Blue

Governor

Our Governator is term-limited. He's basically been forgotten and consigned to the scrapheap of history anyway.

Attorney General and former Governor Jerry Brown is a lock for the Democratic nomination.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom aborted his run for governor but should win the Democratic nomination for lieutenant governor. He brought the issue of gay marriage to the forefront in California and nationally, but, sadly, with some self-defeating hubris along the way. As much as I was against Prop 8, seeing and hearing Mr. "Whether You Like It or Not" being replayed thousands of times on TV was seriously grating in 2008. While the lieutenant governor is elected separately from the governor, it'll be interesting to see whether Newsom serves as a headwind for Jerry Brown in the general election. Californians may think twice about putting someone polarizing (Newsom) in line to succeed someone who isn't a spring chicken (Brown) these days, so much so that they may not even vote for Brown.

On the Republican side, former eBay CEO Meg Whitman has spent over $80 million (!) on the race so far. She's held a sometimes commanding and sometimes precarious lead over Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner. Um, who? Both have been spending so much on nonstop TV ads attacking each other that I haven't watched much TV lately.

Like Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman has run aggressively to the right in order to win the GOP primary. Despite their celebrity status and unlimited cash, it remains to be seen whether they've damaged their chances at winning the general election against a Democratic machine.

And no matter who wins, getting things through a hopelessly gerrymandered, divided, and feckless state legislature is virtually impossible.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  3. UMBS Go Blue

Attorney General

The Democratic primary for Attorney General has been pretty interesting because San Francisco DA :swoon: Kamala Harris :swoon: ought to be the shoo-in, but isn't. She's been hit by a nonstop barrage of scandals that call her competence into question. (SF Chronicle: Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, Article 4, Article 5; some particularly devastating articles from SF Weekly: Article 1, Article 2).

Former Facebook Chief Privacy Officer (yes, you read that right) Chris Kelly has gotten a lot of attention by pouring millions of dollars into TV ads.

With all this negative attention, other candidates could still sneak through.

Ballot Measures - Prop 16

California's out-of-control system of ballot propositions is again being abused, this time by PG&E, which is paying for multiple TV ads per commercial break on a ballot measure that would require local governments to obtain 2/3 voter approval before establishing a municipal utility. This measure is laughably called the "Taxpayers' Right to Vote Act." With due respect to anyone here who might work for PG&E, this measure is an insult to our intelligence, and it's profoundly annoying.

4. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

This certainly rings true!

5. UMBS Go Blue

Kamala Harris keeps drawing extremely negative headlines. If you can stand watching the local news here in California these days (while hitting "mute" during commercial breaks because there are far too many political ads), it looks like SF Public Defender Jeff Adachi is really going after her.

As long as it keeps her in the news and on my TV screen though, I don't mind. :swoon:

In other news, Meg Whitman and Steve Poizner have both already spent $110 million and the primary isn't even over yet!!! :yikes:

Once the primary is over, I'd love to see a ban on political ads until at least Labor Day. :shuffle:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

And for those that don't live in California let me summarize their ads:

Poizner: "She supports Obama"
    Whitman: "No I don't"
    Poizner: "Yes you do"
    Whitman: "Well so do you"
    Poizner: "No I don't"
    Whitman: "Yes you do"
    Whitman: "Well you voted for A"
    Poizner: "No I didn't"
    Whitman: "Yes you did"
    Poizner: "Well you're a liberal"
    Whitman: "No I'm not"
    Poizner: "Yes you are"

Now all of you know about as much about the candidates as Californians do.

And they paid 110 million for this?

7. Squibble

Squibble New Member

We also know that Meg Whitman's idea of being "frugal" is to invest in campaign ads on KFOG, San Francisco's rock, blues, reggae, and alternative music station. :shuffle:

8. UMBS Go Blue

I love KFOG :swoon: :respec:

But I've stopped listening to the radio lately because of the political ads. I'm back to listening to The Economist audio edition on my iPhone over the car loudspeakers. No commercial breaks with endless political ads! :cheer2:

9. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

The latest Fields poll released today had the following numbers for the Senate primary:

37% Fiorina, 22% Campbell, 19% DeVore

10. agalisgv

From Magellan Strategies:

2010 Governor: Republican Primary
    64% Whitman, 22% Poizner

2010 Senate: Republican Primary
    54% Fiorina, 19% Campbell, 16% DeVore

11. UMBS Go Blue

This is the mail-in vote for Santa Clara County, released at 8:00pm. Just a snippet, but interesting to see what Silicon Valley thinks so far. Santa Clara County stretches from Palo Alto in the north (the middle of the Peninsula) to the large city of San Jose in the south, with most of Silicon Valley lying in between. Interesting to see that mail-in voters rejected Carly Fiorina.

Completed Precincts 288 of 1,177
    Total Registration 765,680

Vote by Mail Reporting Turnout
    20.79% 159,200

DEM - GOVERNOR
    Percent Votes
    EDMUND G. ''JERRY'' BROWN
    87.68% 73,515

DEM - Lieutenant Governor
    Percent Votes
    GAVIN NEWSOM
    71.86% 60,219
    JANICE HAHN
    18.94% 15,875
    ERIC KOREVAAR
    9.20% 7,710
    ⇑ Back To Top

DEM - Attorney General
    Percent Votes
    KAMALA D. HARRIS
    37.76% 29,702
    ALBERTO TORRICO
    17.49% 13,758
    CHRIS KELLY
    14.65% 11,524
    TED W. LIEU
    11.86% 9,327
    PEDRO NAVA
    8.50% 6,689
    MIKE SCHMIER
    7.17% 5,639
    ROCKY DELGADILLO
    2.58% 2,029

DEM - U.S. SENATOR
    Percent Votes
    BARBARA BOXER
    84.98% 71,406

REP - GOVERNOR
    Percent Votes
    MEG WHITMAN
    67.37% 36,111
    STEVE POIZNER
    22.76% 12,201

REP - Lieutenant Governor
    Percent Votes
    ABEL MALDONADO
    57.99% 28,448
    SAM AANESTAD
    17.55% 8,611

REP - Secretary of State
    Percent Votes
    DAMON DUNN
    69.08% 30,839
    ORLY TAITZ
    30.92% 13,806
    ⇑ Back To Top

REP - State Controller
    Percent Votes
    TONY STRICKLAND
    50.54% 23,057
    DAVID EVANS
    49.46% 22,568

REP - Attorney General
    Percent Votes
    STEVE COOLEY
    51.97% 24,307
    JOHN EASTMAN
    31.35% 14,664
    TOM HARMAN
    16.68% 7,801
    ⇑ Back To Top

REP - Insurance Commissioner
    Percent Votes
    MIKE VILLINES
    50.02% 22,471
    BRIAN FITZGERALD
    49.98% 22,457

REP - U.S. SENATOR
    Percent Votes
    TOM CAMPBELL
    51.63% 27,597
    CARLY FIORINA
    31.23% 16,692
    CHUCK DEVORE
    15.19% 8,119

Proposition 13
    Percent Votes
    YES
    86.82% 139,906
    NO
    13.18% 21,232

Proposition 14
    Percent Votes
    YES
    64.03% 104,175
    NO
    35.97% 58,523

Proposition 15
    Percent Votes
    YES
    53.56% 84,556
    NO
    46.44% 73,306

Proposition 16
    Percent Votes
    NO
    58.88% 95,527
    YES
    41.12% 66,716

Proposition 17
    Percent Votes
    NO
    53.49% 86,335
    YES
    46.51% 75,084

12. UMBS Go Blue

Oh well, some of the statewide results are coming in and Tom Campbell is getting creamed. Seriously, do nice guys finish last? :eek: :scream:

http://vote.sos.ca.gov/mobile/

13. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

He is not such a nice guy, imho...... not after he defended Sami Al-Arian..;)

To add..... Fiorina represents everything a leader should..... started out as a receptionist, ended up running Hewlett-Packard... :lol:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  14. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

AP calling Meg Whitman as the winner of the GOP primary.

...with 5% of the votes? :rofl:

15. UMBS Go Blue

Except this is a race for Senate, where you're supposed to work with others as part of a team of 100. Tom Campbell can build consensus behind tough choices and real solutions. Carly Fiorina's record might be one of leadership (of a negative, combative, and personally alienating variety), but it hasn't been one of teamwork. Good luck working with others in the Senate, if she can win. If she can't beat Barbara Boxer, it'd say more about Carly's shortcomings as a person and as a (not) positive leader than anything else.

16. Tinami Amori

Or the fact that California votes pro Dem/Libs most of the times.....:)

17. UMBS Go Blue

Well, with someone like Carly who's as cuddly as a porcupine, I'd say California has another sad excuse to do so this time.

18. agalisgv

So much for Orly Taitz's political future :shuffle:

19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Well liberals on MSNBC will always try to keep her name out there.

20. UMBS Go Blue

Well, to Carly's credit (watching KTVU 2 live right now), she's quite a good speaker. True to her combative style, she can really lay it in to Barbara Boxer. Meanwhile, the snippets they showed of Jerry Brown on the governor's side weren't too convincing. So we'll have a pretty interesting, drawn-out fight between two polished, scripted GOP women with bottomless purses ($$$) against two Democratic veterans with the entire public sector (sheer manpower) behind them.

ETA: watching coverage of the Santa Clara city ballot measure to approve the new stadium for the San Francisco 49ers. Apparently it was literally a David vs. Goliath battle there, with the "no" camp holding a sparsely attended party in a private home. :lol:

21. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Actually, she worked briefly as a receptionist before going back to grad school to get her M.B.A., and ended up running Hewlett-Packard into the ground.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Carly_Fiorina.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_Fiorina

:COP:

22. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I was just at a county GOP party and I was :rofl: at everyone calling stuff later when we left and my dad turned on the radio. Really?

The November elections should be interesting! I hated voting today because I was so :drama: about all the bad choices of the worst options I had to make.

23. Tinami Amori

The fact remains. She started out as a receptionist, and ended up, at a later time, running a major corporation. I admire her choices in life and the path she followed.

I also believe on some issues she was critiqued harsher because of the double standard in business, when woman is tought at work - she is bruja; when man is tought at work - he is a good manager.

24. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Carleton Fiorina didn't really "start out" as a receptionist.

The myth that she herself encourages is that she "started out" as a receptionist at Hewlett-Packard and worked her way up to C.E.O. The fact of the matter is that she worked briefly as a receptionist there and had several temp positions as a receptionist and as a secretary -- positions that were not starting rungs on a corporate ladder but ways of supporting herself while she prepared for and applied to business school.

And the reason Fiorina is criticized isn't because she was "tough," but because the company she ran tanked. If a man had done what she had done, no one would call him a good manager.

25. UMBS Go Blue

Just to be accurate, I think she was a receptionist at Jones Lang LaSalle (property management firm and brokerage that still exists today) before business school. After business school, she worked her way up to be a top exec at Lucent (division head, I believe) before landing the CEO position at HP in 1999.

26. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

27. Squibble

Squibble New Member

According to Wikipedia (see my link above):

28. UMBS Go Blue

Thanks. Marcus & Millichap (also a highly respected real estate firm), not Jones Lang LaSalle. Certainly, she's had quite a good career, although her success in her HP stint is up for debate.

I voted for Prop 14, the open primary initiative, and I think it could be useful elsewhere too. Louisiana, if I'm correct, has a similar system where all candidates run in an open primary and the top 2 advance to the final (although, specific to LA, any candidate getting 50% in the primary is "declared elected" right away).

Also, our current governator in the news:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...st-ballot-after-selecting-two-candidates.html

29. Tinami Amori

Where do we differ? I am saying exactly the same thing. Her career started as a receptionist/secretary and ended up in HP management.

The best way one can get from a receptionist to the director of a corporation is by getting an MBA. And you're supposed to work while you are in college and you're supposed to work to pay for your MBA. That's what I am saying. That's how it works the normal way. She did everything right.

30. Squibble

Squibble New Member

It's straining reality to say that Fiorinia's work a a receptionist and secretary was part of her career. Moreover, she could just as easily have been a florist or a department-store clerk as a secretary or receptionist in order to make ends meet before she went back to school.

Her career path effectively started after she got her M.B.A. and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_Fiorina

Of course, there's not as much mystique in saying, "I started as a lowly management trainee" as there is in saying, "I started as a receptionist," but that is what she did.