Calgary Stampede Ice Show

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by luna_skater, May 26, 2010.

1. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

Does anyone know more about this? I just heard about it today. Virtue & Moir have Stampede as one of their scheduled events: http://www.virtuemoir.com/events.php.

From the press release (link):

“It’s what you get when you mix world-class figure skating, a modern rock concert, a camera crew and huge video screens, acrobats suspended from the ceiling and an abundance of lights and lasers in one show...”

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think it was just announced today along with the rest of the Stampede events. It sounds like it could really awful and cheesy, Virtue and Moir notwithstanding. I hope at least it isn't in a venue that smells like manure and corndogs, like the rest of the Stampede :lol:

3. luna_skater

Yeah, the info was just released today. It's going to be in the Stampede Corral, which normally has other events going on, like sheep shearing and Super Dogs. It's on the grounds, so there's no escaping any smells. It comes with the territory. :)

I love skating and I love Stampede, but my initial reaction to this was that it's going to make me want to commit suicide.

4. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

I want to know how they get figure skates on the horses? :p

5. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Poor Tessa's gonna be a little out of her element!

6. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

It's good publicity for figure skating in Canada, if it's done well. The demographic of people who attend the Stampede is probably a little different than the demographic for people who normally attend figure skating events, so it could widen the audience for figure skating a bit.

7. missflick

missflick New Member

I read this and I was...what? At the Stampede? Hmm. Not sure what to make of it. But I will check it out. (I live here, after all).

8. key65man

key65man New Member

I most definitely agree with you on this.

Figure skating needs a different mind-set (along with changes in the aesthethic of figure skating) if it wants the infusion of younger demographic and new fans.

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Never having been to the Stampede or the Stampede Corral, could they set up an ice rink (and good ice) and have sheep shearing and Super Dogs (whatever that is) going on right next to it?

The whole thing sounds crazy -- figure skating, laser show, aerial acrobatics, and now sheep shearing all in one place? I'd think I was on an acid trip....

10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But I am not sure that competing with corn dogs and sheep shearing on the Stampede Midway is the way to achieve this.....

11. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

What kind of name is Stampede for an Ice Show? My mind can't process the idea:confused::confused:

12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

The Corral is an old hockey arena close to the Saddledome & one of many buildings on the Stampede grounds. It seats about 7000, and was the practice arena for Worlds 4 years ago. I've been to skating shows there - and formal receptions afterward - I'm sure it will work just fine.

13. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

That makes more sense.

14. missflick

missflick New Member

The Calgary Stampede is an annual event here.

http://cs.calgarystampede.com/

15. key65man

key65man New Member

Granted, I don't know the venue well. From what I read in the article, the ice show is tailored for the event and the folks. At least, it is worth a try IMO.

16. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Well, thanks... that even makes my point stronger, no?:scream:

17. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Not really. It's one of many events that are being held in conjunction with the Calgary Stampede - why wouldn't they call it that?

18. piano18

piano18 New Member

An ice show at the Calgary Stampede?? :lol: :lol:

Last time I went to CS horse feces were a common sight (or smell), even in the public washrooms. How will they all survive?

19. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Sorry, I can't see any connection with an ice show and horse races or buffalo riding:gallopin1...maybe I'm just too classic:p

20. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

I guess SC is getting ready for their move to Calgary....

21. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Of course, if people could just put their biases against Calgary and the Stampede away for a few minutes, and give something new a chance...

22. If I am still living here I am definitely going to check it out....and I will drag all my skating and non-skating friends along.

And of course, I will also give y'all a review afterwards :D

23. luna_skater

I've heard that's no longer happening. :sekret:

It certainly will expose figure skating to new demographics. The Stampede is the largest rodeo in the world and brings 1 million visitors to Calgary every July. Every show I've seen at Stampede has been world-class, but given the high cheese factor most non-competitive skating shows have, I'll be going into this as a skeptic. I'm sure it will be entertaining, but it won't necessarily be a good representation of the *sport* of figure skating, whereas the other shows and demos at Stampede are great representations of their field. I might be a bit more optimistic once a cast list is out...

24. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Do you mean Skate Canada headquarters or an event? The only thing left to give out was the Worlds bid, right?

25. luna_skater

Skate Canada headquarters. Last I heard, the move to Calgary is off.

26. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

If you can have figure skaters performing on cruise ships & in theme parks over the summer why not the Calgary Stampede? I live in Montana & rodeos are a big part of entertainment in the western states & provinces. I watch the chuck wagon races faithfully on my TV every July from the Stampede.

27. key65man

key65man New Member

One of the issues, I think, is that figure skating has become defined a little narrowly, which I suspect has something to do with the decline of it.

Many different approaches and aesthetics can be and should be explored and presented in figure skating. Programs could emphasize athleticism for competition or, if necesssary, contain it in order to achieve certain effects for gala/ice show. They can do ballet, modern dance emphasizing self-expression, jazz dance, square dance, etc., and skate to whatever music including blue-grass as long as done creatively and enjoyably.

Of course, the trick is to correctly identify the aesthetics of the target audience and accordingly make figure skating more palatable to them. I mean, the success of it depends more on creativity, artistic and business-wise, than on the nature of figure skating IMO.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  28. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

29. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Some of my friends are skating in it. I should ask them for some info, haha.

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Bring in Samuelson/Bates and Pechalat/Bourzat for guest spots. . .