Caitlin Yankowskas on Ice Partner Search

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jkl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean, Ziggy. I just get nervous that the skaters may get the wrong idea.

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So how come no news about the breakup from USFS?

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Because they never competed at a USFS qualifying competition, championship or were on the national team is my guess.

4. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Converting roller skaters seems to be trending lately.

5. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Roller skaters turned ice skaters always have tiny jumps, but what an excellent idea.

A hockey player would be fast and powerful, but it would probably take them a few years to get him ready.

6. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything about Caitlin having any tryouts?

7. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

In reality, has any hockey player picked up figure skating as an adult (or late teen) and actually become successful internationally?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not like they don't hear about their weight all the time from their coaches, judges, federation officials, etc. etc. etc. :p

No.

9. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

On spanish tv they were saying Max Aaron played hockey till he was 14 and picked up fs from there...dunno if it's totally true as they often make some stories up:)

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I would really like to know a real bio on him. The information seems to be very conflicting.

His ice network bio says he started figure skating at the age 9. I would bet it wasn't very seriously at first though. Wikipedia reports 9th place juvenile at regionals in 2003, so he would have been like 11 then? He won juvenile the next year.

The ice network bio says he played elite hockey for 14 years. If he started hockey skating at age 4 like he bio says, I imagine there were a number of years he played non-elite hockey too, right? But wikipedia says he stopped playing hockey in 2008 (and had to take a year off the ice due to injury), and he would have only been 16ish then, so those numbers don't work.

It is interesting that he was playing with the US development team levels in hockey while competing junior in figure skating. That must be hard to maintain high level in two sports.

11. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Not True - he was playing hockey (and apparently quite good at it), but he was also figure skating. He competed in Intermediate Men at the 2006 USFS Junior Nationals (so Dec. 2005), when he would have been 13, unless my math is off.

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Not a hockey player, but didn't we have a thread recently get bumped about a football (soccer) star skating pairs with an established OES pairs skater? His skating skills looked really good for someone learning as an adult, and some of their pair elements lloked nice enough. I thikn he was struggling to land double salchows though....i'm drawing a blank on their names - they were training in germany (maybe obsertsdorf?).

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here you go: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...skater-aka-Bestandigova-news-(Threads-Merged)

I've re-posted the above comments and replied in the Max Aaron articles thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...mp-Max-Aaron&p=3885738&viewfull=1#post3885738

ETA:
    Yes on the first two, but Y/R were on the national team (Reserve team envelope).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    antmanb and (deleted member) like this.
  14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Well Reserve Team is pushing it for a PR but not out the realm of possibility. But I suspect USFS only does them if the skaters involve send them one to send out. And it looks like Y/R really want this partnership to fade into the night.

15. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am surprised that we haven't heard of any tryouts....also very surprised that Caitlin posted on IPS. I have never seen a former national champion do that. Most high profile skaters get their tryouts through word of mouth...right?

16. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Drew Meekins is a former Junior World champion, and he was on IPS.

17. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I noticed that Caitlin has updated her IPS profile. She corrected the fact that she wanted a dance partner to a pairs partner. ;)
    Anyone think she reads FSU?

18. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Well, she is no longer on IPS - any one know who she might be skating with? I hope it goes better this time around.

19. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

She should call Wesley Campbell, if she is still looking. I understand that he was interested at competing in pairs.

I just looked on IPS, I didn't see Caitlin on it, did she change her mind? (Or do I need new glasses?)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Crossing my fingers that she found a great partner!! :cheer2:

21. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Wesley will be giving up his eligibility very soon-- he has a cruise contract.

22. madm

madm Active Member

Wesley is also a leftie and hasn't competed much in pairs.

23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry to hear the news. :(

Caitlin has so much talent and ability and potential that's already been realized ~ both she & John Coughlin finished the highest of any American pair at Worlds in 2011 (6th) since Inoue & Baldwin in 2006 (4th) ~ that's saying a lot! No American pair has actually medalled at Worlds since 2002 (Ina & Zimmerman bronze).

She's honestly like the Oksana Baiul of pairs skating, such a shame that she's yet to realize her FULL potential at only 23 years of age, and I hate to say it (being a patriotic American) but mayhap it's time she switched to another country so she can skate with somebody of her calibre. Marina Anissina did it, so can Caitlin.

As it stands now, the only two American guys tall enough for her and good enough would be either Shnapir or Knierim, and both of them are taken unfortunately, more's the pity. :(

Here's wishing Caitlin all the best; she's still young enough to find somebody and make a phenomenal comeback! :cheer2:

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think you might be right. Let's play Fantasy Pairs skating - if the US released her, who is available in another country?

25. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:oksana1:

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It's very hard to find a strong male pairs partner in the USA because most talented men want to pursue singles career. I think Caitlyn would be better off looking outside at this point.

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Timothy LeDuc skating with DeeDee Leng, but a pairing with Caitlin would've been phenomenal. I believe he is 6-2 and like her, he skates with a lot of stretch and extension

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He tried out with her. IIRC, he was very surprised when she announced her partnership, as he thought he would be skating with her.

Tim and DeeDee are doing well, they had mistakes at nationals but show promise. It would be stupid, though typical of US pairs, for him to dump a partner heading into an Olympic season. Partner hoping is one of the reasons the US has done so poorly on the world stage.

29. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I had never really seen Tim skate till I went to Omaha in January and came away really impressed with how he looks on the ice and his skills as a pairs skater so I'm sorry things with him in Caitlin didn't work out. I'm not sold on his partnership with DeeDee but we'll see how it goes with another season under their belts.

30. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I think DeeDee and Tim have a ridiculous amount of potential. It would be completely stupid to break up; they could be national champions in 2 years...