Caitlin Yankowskas on Ice Partner Search

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jkl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Any ideas WHY this didn't work out?

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I wish we'd at least have gotten to see them compete once.

3. chachacha

chachacha Member

So glad to here This. Andrea and Joshua would make a great pairing. She is a beautifull skater.

4. figureit

figureit Member

Only problem is she is Canadian and he is American so high level Oly competing is a problem right? Unless he is going to try to gain dual citizenship or maybe he has that already does anyone know?

They would be beautiful together.

5. hippychick

hippychick Member

Colin may be tall enough, but I don't think he looks like he would be strong enough.

I think Speroff would be strong and tall enough, his last partner Brittany Chase was at least 5'3. I also think he would be pushed more to get his jumps consistent but I don't think he would ever leave Donlan. I remember reading an article prior to Nationals where he was quoted as saying that Donlan would be his last partner. Since I love D/S I am happy that he doesn't seem inclined to change partners and will work through their issues, although I think he and Yankowskas would look fabulous together.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

So, what about Mark Ladwig, as mentioned previously? He is older, but this might be for only this one year for a wild shot at the Os, and they seem like a good physical match...

7. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

I am so bummed about this! :(
    Hey, is Themi Leftheris available/eligible??
    Can't think of anyone else (save Mark Ladwig) off the top of my head.
    Sure hope we see Caitlyn skate again. Loved her posture and extension!

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed

9. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Get her a Russian skater ASAP!!!!

Obviously her goal should now be 2018 instead of Sochi. I'm sure we can get her some lonely starving-for-a-partner foreign skater. :drama:

I'm actually serious*

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Didn't Brian Joubert say he wanted to try pairs after 2014? :p

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Morgan Matthews wanted a release to skate for Azerbaijan and later to skate for Canada (IIRC) and USFS kept refusing her. She lawyered up but didn't manage to get the release ever IIRC.

She was a Junior World Champion, however. Yankowskas never medalled at ISU Championships, did she?

12. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

:wall: How sad and frustrating. After listening to her interview with Jenny Kirk I thought things must be working out. I actually saw Caitlin and Joshua skate last year at the Skate for Hope show in June and the sp at Skate for Detroit in July and they appeared really rough. He seemed extremely nervous and stiff with no expression and she had jump problems. I thought it was just because they needed more time together. Whole thing is really sad.

13. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said this. I had the same impression from watching the youtube clips including the one taken from a distance at the Galleria in Dallas. He looked like he was totally uninterested in skating.

14. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

A bronze at Cup of China was the closest, I think.

I recalled Matthews, but haven't looked up whether the rules are exactly the same now. I recalled some tightening on citizenship issues, but flexibility on Pairs/Dance & some discussion about the goal not being to allow a federation to stop a skater from ever competing again. Just haven't had time to look it all up in the last couple of days!

Jarrett- in simple terms, yes, it is the process of being permitted to skate for another country, and the wait time varies based on whether the skater competed internationally for a country and whether it is singles or pairs/dance. The ISU has a rule & communication (1420, IIRC) about it, but member federations add their own "layer" of requirements. USFS, oddly IMO, may have "policies," but it isn't part of their published Rulebook. Worse, ISU doesn't have any deadlines for acting (like 30 days from receipt...), so it really can just be a big mess.

15. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Josh Regan skated stiffly with no expression when he was with Ashley Cain. Ashley was definitely the star of that pairing.

16. dots

dots Well-Known Member

You know it would be so much easier if she could snatch a partner from someone else...

Desperate times call for desperate measures. :shuffle:

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm NOT surprised by this at all for some reason. IDK - all the withdrawals last season.

FWIW, I recall a poster some time ago stated that Josh was a handful to work with. There may have been buyer's regret on Caitlin's part.

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just time for her to move on :shuffle:

19. dots

dots Well-Known Member

If Rockne was able to comeback twice, why not Caitlin?

20. figureit

figureit Member

I would hope she can but Rockne has had partners and competed. Caitlin really hasn't. She had a partner but they did not really ever get off the ground competing. She's been gone and not competed. It is different and sad:(

21. reese

reese Well-Known Member

???

Her most recent partner didn't work out and they didn't compete for the season they were training together. With her previous partner she was National champion. Not sure how that qualifies as "really hasn't" competed or how it's that different from all the partners Rockne has been through. Every time Rockne loses a partner there is an outpouring of support here on FSU and blame is never assigned to him and I cant remember anyone ever suggesting he just pack it up... Yet for Caitlin, arguably the most talented American female pairs skater of the last 10 years, posters are quick to say "well, maybe it's just time to move on."

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's tall for a pair skater and she was never a very strong jumper.

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I still vote for a Ben Okolski comeback. Then we could have another pairs team with rude Eastern Euro roots and long unpronounceable last names (Yankowskas/Okolski) :)

24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

That ship has sailed.

25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Actually, a lot of people have blamed Rockne. Someone said that he was an *sshole in the last thread.

26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. He retired, they've been in the same place for 2 years now, and I don't even know if they're really suited to each other, but hey, I can dream, no?

27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I have a feeling we will be very surprised by her next partner. No, I don't have any idea who. It is just a feeling I have.

I was really looking forward to seeing them compete.

28. figureit

figureit Member

DO elaborate on your feeling. I have had a feeling about that too and was wondering if we are thinking along the same lines.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Rockny has always had a more realistic chance of being back on the elite competitive scene than Caitlin; He did do that and was quite successful with Mary Beth and now has another realistic shot with yet a new partner. Caitlin hasn't been anywhere close to being seriously back on the elite competitive scene since her partnership broke up. With the lack of talented male pair skaters to choose from, her chance of coming back get dimmer and dimmer as each season passes. A similar thing happened to Drew Meekins, and fans were posting the "time to move on" phrase when threads popped up about his status.

30. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Wasn't Drew still looking, recently?