Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan Video

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by OrioleBeagle, Mar 9, 2012.

1. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Thanks for the clip. I don't see much height difference between them. How tall is he?

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

6'1" apparently but looks more like 5'10" to me..

4. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

Cool video. Why were they skating there?

I agree with Vash01, i don't think the height difference's enough.. But that double-handed lift position's already so much better than Caydee's.. lol

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

6. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I miss Caitlin!
    For me the height difference is ok, but there's not many conclusions we can get from that video. They were skating in a very small rink and couldn't even try to do crossovers together at full speed...they have nice lines together, though

7. chachacha

chachacha Member

Well he is for sure no 6'1 and he is to small for her. He looked so much better with Ashley. He should look for someone who will fit his size or he will be going down a dead end road. But regardless good luck to them both if they think it will work!

Louis and (deleted member) like this.
  8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

She looks like she comes up to just above his breastbone, and that would be about 8 - 9" taller than her. She's 5-2 or 5-3 so that's about right. Maybe 5-11.

The height difference would work out.

I paid attention to the lifts as best I could w/ the grainy video, but he looked like he could press her above his head fairly easily. He locks his elbows without any struggle.

I know they didn't do much otherwise, but their line together is very nice, especially in the SBS spins.

The fact that they were performing in a rink like this means to me that this is beyond a tryout, no? Closer to a done deal? I mean, why else would they do this??

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Didn't look to me like they were performing...they were practicing, ignoring the audience. Skaters use the Galleria for practice ice all the time. Outside of skating, they are unknowns-if they see the video, I bet they are surprised someone took it. Heck, even within skating he is an unknown. For all anyone lining up, who isn't a complete figure skating fanatic, knew they were some random local skaters. (Then again, Jeremy Abbott's Mom blogged about watching him skate on a Basic Skills session- and some parents were OMG!, and others were "Who let that adult out on the ice?"- completely oblivious.)

I hope they are still in try-out mode, because they didn't look like a fantastic fit... They could get there though. Who knows.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  10. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We're not there. Only time will tell if it works.

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

:confused:

Maybe to people who don't pay attention. I must admit I don't care about jrs all that much because they are too prone to growing and breaking up. But I do know him from winning jr nationals last year and getting 6th at the Cup of Russia this season and 6th at nationals so he is hardly unknown.

I think people are really over critiquing one video.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Caitlin is several inches shorter than Ashley so this comment makes no sense to me.

13. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

chachacha is related to Caydee Denney, so she's going from thread to thread bashing Caitlin because now Caitlin has a partner. Insecurity and nastiness are a terrible combo, and chachacha is the living incarnation of that.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Actually, I don't believe chachacha is related to Denney but suspect there is a Colorado Springs connection.

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Yes, but it seemed more than just a tryout. You use the term 'practice' in your post above, so that would also go to my point that this is beyond a tryout. No?

Are tryouts ever done in public mall rinks? Not a snark. I'm asking because I don't know...

I do think he's got a bit more going for him than John Coughlin as far as skating skills are concerned, and look how well Y/C did at '11 Worlds! My concern was, watching the video, how well he could lift Caitlin and it doesn't appear to be a struggle (it was just a simple press lift but it was OK).

I don't get it. A growing multitude of decent US pairs is something we should all root for. It will only help the US pairs program and perhaps encourage more competition / better performances. That is why I pull for all of them [D/C, too]

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't know about in Dallas, since there are a lot of rinks- but they may also be trying to avoid his former partner, so perhaps it was where they could get ice.

I skate at a mall rink, and in past years, nationals bound skaters and pairs have practiced there. If that's where their coach is, I'd assume that a try-out would take place there too if that's where they could get the ice. (We have a more serious training rink not to far from us, but they lose their ice all the time to hockey and arena football. The mall rink is more reliable to have ice time, oddly.)

I say "practice" because try-outs aren't one time things. Don't skaters usually skate together for a week or more, often at both skater's home rinks, before deciding on a permanent partnership? It isn't like trying out for a play, where you do it once, maybe get a call back and wait for the list to go up. And if a skater has multiple try-outs it could be a month before you hear back. I don't know which of the two has more "leverage" to decide. Caitlyn obviously needs a partner, and has been sitting out longer, but there are at least 3 men looking right now too, so she might have the advantage.

17. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Thanks for that information. I agree with you.

18. Sylvia

Yes.

I agree. Thank you for posting this.

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Thank you for the context.
    Same here! (well...with an extra dose of lurve for MBMB ;))

20. Vash01

I am a fan of skating, independent of countries, so I am not really rooting for US pairs; just rooting for pairs which used to be my most favorite discipline in FS. I think D&C are pedestrian skaters, and they are getting high marks only because COP totally ignores the finer points of pairs skating. Hopefully a better pair will come along, for the sake of pairs skating, not just in the USA.

I don't see how the current US pairs are better than the past. In the past the US had Babilonia-Gardner, Watson-Oppegard, Meno-Sand, Ina -Zimmerman, and even Ina-Dungjen were close to winning a world medal just before they split. Right now I don't see any US pair that is a contender for a world medal. I like Yankowskas, but without a decent partner she may not win a medal. I am not sold on Reagan as her partner, and it may just have been a tryout, so we don't really know. It's too early to get excited. He looked awfully short to me. MBMB could develop but then they may not. The COP certainly makes it easier for the N.American pairs to score higher than they did in the past. They don't have to worry about their postures, lines and unison. I still don't see any US pair coming close to the top 5 in the world (S&S, V&T, K&S, P&T, and may be one of the Canadian pairs, and not counting out Sui-Han).

21. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I took the video and I posted this yesterday... Thanks for linking me Sylvia.

I'm gonna quote myself from another thread so people know what was going on...

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think Ashley was better, than Joshua in Cain-Reagan team. So i am not sure this is good choice for Caithlin

23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Caitlin looks off for Raegan
    but its too early to tell, maybe with some decent performance
    they have some potential but for now...

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's certainly a better choice than having no partner - and since she has been clear about wanting to skate for the US, it's not like she has unlimited options.

25. Vash01

Good point. I hope she can find a partner who is as good as she is.

26. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

^

where is Caitlin originally from
    is she Polish ? ( Yankowski - Yankowska )

27. Sylvia

New Hampshire, USA.

28. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

These two skaters look good together.

No disrespect to Reagan's previous partner, who was a unique and elegant pairs skater. I enjoyed their performance very much. With her lithe, tall frame, I thought they looked like a hybrid of pairs and dance.

29. bek

bek Guest

I can't help wondering how both might feel about this video being posted.

30. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

And if they want it taken down, I'll take it down, no questions asked.