Caitlin and John

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by belldkay, Feb 5, 2011.

1. belldkay

belldkay New Member

Are they a pair off ice also? Seemed that way at Nationals.
  2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

No.
  3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I thought I would take a shot at this question .... every time I look at Caitlin, my brain goes "she looks just like ....." and I can't place it. Does she remind you of anyone? Another skater? A singer? An actress?? Especially when you look at their pic on the USFS banner. Its driving me nuts how much I think she looks like someone, and I can't quite place who I think she looks like. Anyone got a shot? :)
  4. acadia

acadia New Member

Gwyneth Paltrow
  5. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

According to Peter Carruthers Oksana Baiul.
  6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am with Peter.
  7. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Julia Obertas.
  8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

She has that harsh Russian beach blond look.
  9. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Member

I thought so, too.
  10. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Ohhh. I think that's it. I was thinking skater the whole time. In my brain anyway, I think that's who I am thinking of. :)
  11. floskate

floskate Vacant

She does look like Julia Obertas actually but I wondered if her look is more inspired by a mix of Tatiana Volosozhar & Aliona Savchenko?
  12. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I doubt they are a couple but just a side note, she is just stunning and has an amazing style about her. I completely agree with Peter, Oksana Baiul was the first thing that came to my head too. I was completely not paying attention to her partner unfortunately, but every little movement she was doing. I was really floored.
  13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Caitlin and John were certainly repackaged from last year to this year-- their costumes, their music and choreography. Her very bleached hair and over-the-top makeup always struck me as a bit much until this year, but I agree that she has a very Julia Obertas look this year that's quite striking. I do wish she would tone down the very fake eyelashes and eyeliner just a bit, mostly because I've seen her without makeup and she's absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

I'm also a big fan of skates over the boots for the ladies and I'm glad she made the switch this year. Like Alissa, I'm sure it's made all the difference!
  14. belldkay

belldkay New Member

At the Fans of Figure Skating Breakfast at Nationals last week it wasw mentioned that they have gotten "very much closer"over the last year. Upon observation they throughout the event, they really seemed like a couple.
  15. MissIzzy

MissIzzy New Member

Last I heard, John Coughlin was still with his girlfriend named Stephanie. Or maybe he was just still bromancing Drew Meekins(Seriously, any excuse to link to this blog is a good one:D)
  16. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

What really struck me about Y/C this year is how confident they looked. Last year they seemed surprised to skate as well as they did in their short. This year it looked like they expected it of themselves.
  17. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

ITA, Caitlin = Aliona.
  18. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

I think they will have to be a couple at some point, have 10 kids, get a reality tv show (let's call it: "John and Caitlin plus ten").

I was gonna give the girl a break and say she can get away with only 8 kids and then the show could be called John & Cait plus eight, but that's just so 2009.
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I thought Caitlin looked like Tatiana Volosozhar, but now that people mention it, she does look like Julia Obertas too.
  20. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

well, her last name indicates she has some Eastern European roots.
  21. kwanette

22. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

All I know is that I love Caitlin's makeup! I've always loved it.

This year she has blossomed into a ballerina on ice and I'm in love with this team! They are precious souls and I'm very thankful skating has them so they can share their spirit with us. Their LP was one for the ages.

-Bridget
  23. kwanette

I couldn't agree more.
  24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Although I like their long program, I must disagree about her make-up. That heavy back eyeliner and fake Tammy Faye eyelashes are NOT doing her any favors. They is a gulf of difference between a smokey eye and washed up Vegas showgirl. She is too pretty to look like that. Besides it makes he look years older than she is.

I don't think she looks like Aliona or Tatiana at all, I think it's Julia Obertas.
  25. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

This is a great article, thanks for the link kwanette.

They definitely have great chemistry between them on the ice, that reaches to the audience. Just goes to show that "chemistry" does not have to equal "romance".
  26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I was reading the protocols from Nats.

They have developed very nicely. Interesting though that they go for level 4s on all elements with the exception of the triple twist and death spiral, which are only level 1. I think they should try to boost those levels if possible to compete with the teams above them. It seems like the triple twist is a fairly easy element for them as it is. Does anyone have any insight to this?
  27. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

A level 1 triple twist is normal... And they do sometimes get a lvl 2. But the lvl 1 death spirals hurt, as well as the lvl 3 pair spin. Those are upgradeable. Another lvl 4 lift would also help. More importantly, they'll want to try to get a harder throw into their SP in the future. But I understand that their focus has been on consistency.
  28. olympic

Thanks. That is what I thought -getting consistent. Maybe there is a plan in place to bump up the levels going into Worlds now that they seem really much more consistent.

I saw E/L had a level 2 twist. D/B had a level 3 twist, and considering his size and her basics, I thought they could probably get at least another level there if the others could do it.

Also, a throw 3loop is immediately doable in the SP. That would give them another 0.5, but maybe they're trying to just work GOE on a beautiful throw 3sal. I don't think I've ever seen them do a throw 3flip or throw 3lutz?
  29. madm

madm Active Member

To get a higher level on the twist, you need a difficult takeoff, lady's split of the legs, clean catch, and lady's arms above her head for at least one revolution.

Here's the link to the list of features for different levels on all pair elements:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/201011 Pairs Levels of Difficulty.pdf
  30. olympic

Thank you. I was looking for a protocol sheet just like this!
  31. julieann

I don't see where D/B had a level 3 twist.
  32. olympic

Maybe I misread it, but I found it in the protocol for either their Nats SP or LP
  33. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

On the Grand Prix, D/B were getting Lvl 1 for their twist, and E/L & Y/C were getting a Lvl 1 or 2, depending on the day. A Lvl 3 from anyone, never mind the US teams, has been rare. Several of the top teams do a Lvl 1 twist. So Y/C really aren't losing ground here like they are by throwing away a level on something like the pair spin, which generally shouldn't be that hard to reach Lvl 4.

Yeah, they've really just tried to keep it consistent, but I imagine they will try to get the loop in there for next season.
  34. olympic

thanks, how about the death spiral? They seem to pull only level 1 there and that would be another element they could gain ground / increase levels by simply adding extra movements
  35. julieann

One important thing to remember is, any element may be choreographed to be a level 4; it's just not executed that way the day of competition, for whatever reason. I'm sure they have a level 4 death spiral but something that day might have happened and the base value was lowered.
  36. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

I have to give John and Caitlin a lot of credit. They suffered a bitter disappointment at nationals in 2010. They stuck it out after a disappointing 2010 nationals and it payed off this year. They are good people who have the drive to be the best.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same thought here too.