CA Doctor gets trapped in ex-bf's chimney, dies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Truth can truly be stranger than fiction...

See, this is crazy right here. Just let it go.

One of my exes had taken to writing letters to my grandma, who, fortunately could no longer read, so she couldn't understand it. Although she did have a few questions about the naked pics he sent of himself.

These people, along with her family, will suffer the most.

The authorities are treating the death as "suspicious", but to me, it cannot be anything other than stalking gone bad.

And forgive me, but part of me is giggling a little bit at this. Maybe it's nerves.

Discuss.
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Well it could potentially be that he killed her and shoved her down the chimney, trying to make it look like stalking gone bad. Just playing devil's advocate.
  3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I hear that theme song from CSI playing in the distance, Brian.....whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhh you you, you you!????!???
  4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That's a rather unlikely scenario, although that article contains some statements that taken together leave one a bit :confused:.
    So she's trying to break into the ex's house last Wednesday, he "escaped" from another exit, she's reported missing by her office, her car and belongings remain near his house for days until her body is discovered on Saturday by a house-sitter. I suppose the ex could have previously planned to be away from home, hence the house-sitter, but some things about the sequence seem a bit strange. Why didn't the ex call the police if she were trying to break into his house? Surely they would have heard her calling for help if she were trapped in the chimney. Playing the devil's advocate, it's possible that the ex didn't "escape" until after she had gotten trapped in the chimney. :shuffle: Sad for her family and patients, but truly bizarre.
  5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I agree; it seems strange if he just left her there to die. Maybe he didn't reailze she would get stuck in there?
  6. Allen

Allen New Member

You know I thought the same thing at first. Wow, let's say she really did try to get down the chimney of her own accord, that's some crazy Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction stuff, maybe even worse.

I guess the big question is, who, stalker or not, decides to slide down someone's chimney...that's mega cuckoo bird crazy.
  7. skatingfan5

Well, the way the story is written, you get the impression that he left the house before she came down the chimney (it says he left unseen by another exit, which I took to mean that she was trying to break in at a door). But that would necessarily only be his report to the police of what happened.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone would have been able to hear her screams if she were stuck.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Gruesomely horrible way to die. The existing stench and "fluids" (ugh!) at least indicate hope that she suffocated quickly versus lingering there, squashed in her chimney-coffin for many hours.
  10. skatingfan5

I would think that anyone in the house would have been able to hear her (I once heard birds that were nesting in a chimney) -- but of course, I really can't know for sure.
  11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You don't think he KNEW she was in the chimney? Or did he leave when he heard her try to break open the door with the shovel?
  12. znachki

znachki Active Member

They already did a stuck down the chimney story.

I'm wondering if this will be in contention for the Darwin Awards?
  13. skatingfan5

To me, that is the big question. But even if he left before she was trying to get in through the chimney, I wonder why he didn't call the police to report it.
  14. Squibble

Squibble New Member

She should have watched this before she attempted anything so crazy!
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Do people realize that there's a shutter that can be open and close to let the smoke into the chimney? And even if the shutter is opened, it's only a slit, how in the heck do people expect to get through it? Also, do people think there's a step ladder inside the chimney that will let one gently climb down inside it? Wouldn't the doctor have let out some cry for help once she realized she's stuck? It doesn't make sense.
  16. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Santa has a lot to answer for
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Like many of you, I'm not convinced this wasn't a murder. Waiting for the autopsy.
  18. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

CNN's version gives a clearer chain-of-events. Says bf just stayed that night elsewhere, apparently came back to the hosue the next day, then - AFTER first reporting her missing/reporting the incident - left for Europe.

I think it's reasonable that the boyfriend wouldn't have known that she was in the chimney. (The authories apparently didn't think to look there, either.) I mean, "who" would think to look in the chimney? Even if a ladder was seen at the side of the house, one would think she had tried to get into a window, then given up and left.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She sounded so intelligent and compassionate; when did she 'buy the crazy'?
  20. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

This is just so sad. This is yet another case that proves intelligence and sanity doen't go hand in hand.
  21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Like the BF-obsessed astronaut.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak
  22. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Eek.
    That she carried diapers with her cracks me up. Where did she think she was, the space?:lol:
  23. skatingfan5

That was so she could drive non-stop w/out taking time for any bathroom breaks. (Although I assume she had to stop to refuel the car.)
  24. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I wonder if she's had an onset of severe psychotic mental illness. Sometimes those illnesses don't show up until later in life.
  25. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Why would someone go in a chimney? You'd have to be reallllllllllly messed up to do that. Sounds suspicious to me too.
  26. skatingfan5

The more detailed timeline of events up thread sheds more light on the ex's behavior and if accurate, the doctor likely was dead shortly after she became wedged in the chimney. But if she was trying to break in, why the heck didn't she try smashing out a window rather than going down the chimney? She really must not have been in her right mind at all. :(
  27. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

His actions seem a bit odd...wonder if he knew she was stuck and then left for Europe?
  28. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's super-easy to deduce from an autopsy. If she suffocated in there, there would be soot in her lungs. If her lungs were crushed, it would show numerous broken ribs. Bullet holes, head trauma (with no soot), or strangulation marks would obviously show if the bf killed her beforehand.

So let's wait until the autopsy results come in before we start ripping apart the bf's side of the story. :p
  29. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

The fact that she went to his house to break in with a shovel is weird to me. Was she trying to dig her way in? If I were going to try to break in someone's door and I didn't know how to pick the lock, I'd be more inclined to attack it with a screwdriver than a shovel--which would make all kinds of noise and attract attention.

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrry strange.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. skatingfan5

I didn't think that she was trying to sneak in, but if she finally chose the chimney, perhaps she was. What I imagined when I first read the story was that her ex wouldn't let her in (maybe she was pounding on the door?) and she picked up and used a shovel that was there (near a back door?) to try and break the door down. Since her ex left "to avoid a confrontation" he definitely was aware that she was there, so avoiding making a lot of noise didn't seem to matter much to her. I really don't know, but it sounds like she was in a very irrational state to have tried using the chimney for access.

BTW, the story linked in the original post has been updated with info from the coroner that she died because she wasn't able to expand her lungs enough to breath when she was stuck in the chimney.
  31. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I just don't understand how anyone can look down the inside of a chimney and thinks she would be ok sliding down it.

I don't think the guy could've stuffed her dead body inside the chimney though. He would have a hard time dragging her body up to the roof and then to the chimney level.

You know how most chimney's openings have some sort of cover over it to keep out animals? I think those cover should now have locks on them to keep out people also, or the builders should just make the opening really narrow now.
  32. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Sounds like a slow and horrible way to go. :(
  33. Prancer

I refuse to put a lock on my chimney cap to keep people out of it. Sorry. People have no business climbing into chimneys and I don't think there enough of them who do that it requires everyone else to worry about it.

And wouldn't a really narrow opening present a fire hazard?
  34. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Prancer, are you burnt-out on chimneys after working so long for your last boss, Santa? :saint:
  35. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say, sounds like how a python or anaconda would kill their victims. :shuffle:
  36. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I meant just narrow enough so that even a skinny adult couldn't get into it but big enough for adequate ventilation. It could also be designed so that there are multiple tube openings grouped together instead of just one large opening.
  37. Prancer

Is Blue Ridge still spreading that rumor that I'm jolly?:mad:
  38. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: Aren't you?
  39. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

So does The Grinch. That's what I thought of when I first read this.
  40. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I heard on the radio that at least one neighbor reportedly heard quiet pleas for help (but didn't do anything - ugh!). If true, then she wasn't dead when she went in there. What a ghastly way to die!