Buying Washer/Dryer - advice needed

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, Feb 6, 2013.

1. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

This has been a few years ago, but I had to have the heating element changed on my brand new LG dryer. The repairmen said they had seen it happen with the model and didn't recommend LG. Haven't had any more problems with it. Have to admit I had a problem with a smelly front loader. Used the smelly wash stuff and it has been better. I should have gotten a top loader since the washing machine was close to a door and hard to leave open all the time. Oh well live and learn. Congratulations.

2. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Count me int the top loader fans. We have a may tag bravos I think , it has no agitator and is he...I think with a family and the amount of use they get top loaders are the only choice, and this is after two front loader experiences ..the whirlpool Le btw lasted less than 2 years.... The repair guy tht we use, said it was not unusual for whirlpool (?????)

3. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Interesting, especially since my experience with 'everyone' is everyone when I grew up in Denmark, and those 2 brands are American brands. I wonder if it is a design issue?

In any case, I always use the sanitize option for bedsheets, so I run the sanitize clean at least every 14 days. Maybe that helps?

I also noticed that many American brand washers don't have a sanitize option (or a water heater), especially the lower end models. I don't recall having seen one without a sanitize ('boil wash' - 90-100 degrees C) option in Denmark, we had a million year old Miele in our apartment in Copenhagen (it was 70's brown, but probably from the late 80s), and it had that option.
    Besides bedsheets, kitchen wipes (reusable - another thing I don't see here in the US, actually) needs to be sanitized I feel.

This actually reminds me of some of those really frustrating minor cultural differences when I moved here - the no specific degrees on washers here for instance (just cold, warm, etc) and I am used to 30 degrees, 40 degrees, 60 degrees, 90 degrees programs as minimums. That was very frustrating - a little silly maybe looking back, but there can really be so many things when moving to foreign country, and this really surprised me.

Any way, BigB, congrats on you washer! No agitator top loader sounds like the right choice for you :). LG is a great brand.

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

That was supposedly the case with the Neptune. I'm not sure about the Whirlpool; that's a fairly new case. Kenmore will probably be next, as I understand there are a lot of complaints with most of their models.

I have Whirlpool Duets and I believe that the older models of those have a different boot; I know when I bought mine, I specifically asked about the boot design and was told that it was new! improved! and was not subect to the mold problem. It's open rather than closed, which I find interesting.

But I still run a Clean Machine cycle faithfully, even though I think my machine is clean (I took it apart a while ago to fix it and saw no mold or anything else). I like to breathe. it's a small price to pay, even if it's paranoid.

One of the reasons for that, and for the mold issue, is that most Americans wash their clothes mostly on cold cycles and sometimes warm, but rarely in hot water. This is one of the reasons that bacteria tend to be present in laundry, too--no one is killing the stuff.

When you say re-usable kitchen wipes, do you mean dishcloths and dishtowels? Those and all my towels get washed on the Sanitize cycle. Sheets, too (dust allergy--mites must go!).

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Interesting. Most people in Denmark would run most non-delicate things on 60 degrees (which is hot, not warm I think - 140 F). With modern soaps this should actually kill most things (They actually say to run kitchen stuff and sheets on this too, but I am not sure I believe them). Most 'nice' clothes on 40 degrees (104 F), and only super delicate items and wool on 30 (which is cold, 86 F).

No, I don't think so. It is something I don't know the English word for. In Denmark you usually have 2 types of kitchen cloths, a dish towel and a 'karklud' which is smaller, about 20x20 cm (approx. 8x8 inches). It can be made of knit fabric or some modern fabric type that looks like felt, but isn't, or microfiber. Usually you will use it everyday to wipe your kitchen area and dining table, and then replace it every night with a new.

You also have 'floor wipes' which are similar, but bigger, you use those to wash your floor by wrapping it around a stiff brush (either with or without a shaft). Most private persons don't have floor mobs, but these things. Make it easier to clean it out, I suppose, as you just wash the floor wipe.

In addition to all this, I haven't found a regular floor broom that looks like one I would get in Denmark. So strange these things are different!

yay for sanitize!