Buying Washer/Dryer - advice needed

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

My husband and I recently had a wedding shower with his dad's side of the family and we told them that all we wanted was a washer and dryer. Obviously we didn't expect anyone to get us a washer or dryer but we did get a lot of cash, gift cards, etc. We are now looking into our choices and it is really overwhelming. It reminds me of trying to buy a television. Does anyone have any advice? I think I know I want a top loading washer as the front loading washers require you to wipe off the ring around the door and you have to leave the door open. I can't risk forgetting to do this (and I will) and having my entire washing machine smell like mildew. I don't know which brand is best but the ones I kept seeing are Whirlpool, LG, Samsung and GE. We currently have GE and will not be going with them again so it seems to come down to those other brands.

I went to H.H. Gregg today and I think we will buy from them. They have free delivery and carry away, offer 5% discount if you finance with them (we can buy it outright but I could use it then pay it off and my credit score could be helped, too) and they are negotiable! They also have a 30 day price guarantee so I don't have to worry about just missing out on a big sale. I do need to ask about installation because the free delivery did not mention anything about that. Installation could be one of those surprise charges they hit you with to recoup their loss on the delivery.

So, any advice? I basically need to know what brands you have had good experiences with and what brands have been nightmares? Any specific machines you want to brag about or warn me about? All advice is appreciated.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My father-in-law the appliance repairman recommends top loaders, few bells and whistles (which don't add a lot of convenience but do result in astronomical repair bills), and usually says that Maytag is the best value and quality.

3. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I use a front-loading Samsung washer, and it's not a big deal to remember to leave the door open. I have a laundry-dedicated hand towel that I just wedge in the hinge, and it keeps the door open enough to air dry. I don't even wipe the ring (though sometimes I do when I'm feeling ambitious, it's just a quick swipe). Samsung is really nice, I would recommend. This is the washer.

My biggest piece of advice when buying appliances is to check the warranty. How long is it covered for, what does it cover, can you deal with the selling store or does it have to go through the manufacturer, etc.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We love our mid level Electrolux pair.

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The technicians I know all prefer top loaders. Fwiw most of the techs I know are older guys who were doing repairs before the front loaders became popular.

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The 20-something that works with my F-i-L bought a top loader for his new house, fwiw. The issue is not their discomfort, it is that they are well aware that there are more repair needs and repairs are costlier.

7. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I just bought a Samsung front-loading washer and dryer and am loving them so far. They're not the really expensive models. I just can't see paying that much. Mine are stackable because there was no other option in my house unless I wanted my dryer out in the storage building where the previous owner had hers. I hadn't bought a washer in nearly 25 years, so I'm amazed at how little water this new one uses and how quiet it is.

8. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I hate top loaders. They ruin the clothes I find, and it doesn't come out clean (you can't get top loaders in Europe either, when we moved here my top loader drove me crazy)

It is not a hassle at all to leave the door open. If you keep forgetting, and you get a bit of smell, simply run the washer empty on a short program. I never wipe the door, and I have never had any bad smell or mildew.

If you can afford it, get a Miele. Unfortunatly I the US they only sell the top of the line units, but they basically last forever. My mom got a Miele when she built her house in 1970, it was still there when she sold it 35 years later.

In the end we couldn't afford one here and got LG washer and dryer and I really like them.

9. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I have a front-loader and don't leave the door open most of the time (it gets in the way). Every 100 washes, a reminder light comes on telling me to clean the washer. And I do. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem with smell. I have some friends who did, but they never cleaned theirs.

However, if you want a toploader, that's all moot, and everyone's experiences will differ to such a degree that I don't think personal experience is much help. Consumer Reports' top three recommended top loaders are one Samsung and two LGs.

There was a thread about this a while back; I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?84735-Washer-Dryer-recommendations
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?83275-HE-Washer-advice

10. madm

madm Active Member

I have the undercounter washer and dryer front-loaders. I had Asko machines for about 15 years, and about 1.5 years ago I replaced the washer with a Bosch Axxis model. I love it. It cleans the clothes really well, has a lot of cycles to choose from, and uses very little water or electricity. I had the repairman out today to do a dishwasher repair, and he told me that he and his colleagues really like the Bosch front-loading washing machines. I will never again own a top-loading machine as it does not clean the clothes as well as a front loader and it uses too much water. Plus the Bosch washer heats its own water which saves on hot water usage in the house.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I have Whirlpool washer & dryer that I bought over 20 years ago and they are still working. The washer is top loader and I wouldn't buy any other kind.

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

We love our Fisher & Paykel top loader. One of the few (well, as of 7.5 years ago) top loaders that is still fairly water-conserving (or, as they call it, "AquaSmart"). Also Energy Star rated. Have not needed any service or fixes since we got it. www.fisherpaykel.com

13. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Just don't buy a cheap top-loader. Mine eats my clothes all the time. (Stretchy and long things catch in the agitator and are ripped, stretched and ruined.) I'm buying a front loading machine as soon as I've paid for my oven. Anyone want a used washer?

14. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Are you going to get High Efficiency (HE) machines? They are more expensive to start but I think you probably should, given the long life of most washers and dryers. The savings on electricity and water use adds up fast over time especially if you have a family and the machines get heavy use. Frequency of repair records for the various brands (Consumer Reports) are pretty important too.

If you're getting HE, I think the front loader washer is the only way to go. A small amount of water rests in the bottom of the tub, and the clothes are rotated in and out of it. You've seen this kind of action in the laundromat machines. I do not personally understand how a top loading high efficiency machine can get every item wet and then clean, and still use minimum amount of water. Someone with a top loading HE machine told me that the items toward the top of the load seemed almost dry after the wash cycle, and she wondered if they even got washed. Front loaders are (i believe) fundamentally more efficient and easier on your clothes from what other people say here.

I got a High Efficiency LG washer and dryer set in the summer of 2011 and have been very satisfied. They are fast (most loads take 40 minutes to wash or dry), quiet, and easy to operate. They look rather jazzy too, and are an asset to my house. Leaving the door open is not an issue--easy to remember. You can write yourself a neat little note "Leave me open" with a sharpie or a post-it on the door until it becomes habitual. I keep a calendar by the machine to track the monthly tub wash--simple matter of putting bleach in the little drawer and pushing the TUB CLEAN button. Wiping the gasket is not an issue--i do it sometimes and not others. There's another filter cleaning maintenance task that needs to be done now and then but this isn't a problem either.

Don't fall for all the bells and whistles on some of the absurdly expensive high end HE machines. You won't use them. Get a good quality entry level HE set and I think you'll be making a good investment.

15. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

For the dryer, make sure the lint trap is in a good location for easy cleaning. Do not get the lint trap that is pulled from the top of the dryer, because everytime you clean it, lint specks fly all over the top of the dryer and you have extra cleaning to do.

16. maatTheViking

Also, check with your local water company. When I replaced a non-HE washer with a HE one, I got a $100 rebate from the water company (I got my machine from my local Sears, so they just told me), awesome.

17. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I have a front loader, and have never had to wipe it, leave the door open, or do anything with it. Not one repair, problem, or a single bad smell. Mildew has absolutely never been an issue.

Bought a Bosch and cannot recommend it enough. We've also moved a few times with it, and never a problem.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have that one too. Sometimes, my husband forgets and shuts the door, but it has never had a mildew smell. I only swipe the ring once in a blue moon. It gets my clothes so much cleaner than the top loader I have at the beach that I have to bring stained stuff home to wash it.

19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

They now make top loaders that wash without an agitator in the middle of the washer . For me that was my main issue with top loader, the agitator would twist up and gnarl the clothes . My mom has one (Kenmore) so far no issues, so if I were to get a top loader I'd definitely choose one without an agitator.

I have a front loader myself (LG) , no issues for 7 years, uses little water and gets the clothes clean without twisting them , so I'm happy with it.

20. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

OMG. I feel so old right now. You were just a teenager jumping on the floor! Now you're married with a husband. CONGRATS!

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused:

22. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

You should ask BigB and see if he still got that video clip!

23. BigB08822

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think our best bet is a top loading washer with no agitator. Those are easier on the clothes and I don't have to worry about cleaning it or leaving the door open.

LOL! I wish I still had those video (if not to just look back and laugh at myself) but those were lost long ago, to the person who asked.

It was a video of myself doing off ice jumps. I think I once posted a video of a 3axel. My jumps would surely have been < or << under this crappy system. lol

24. hollygrove

hollygrove Member

Here is a cheap and practical answer. Check the Speed Queen top loaders with dials, not electronic panels. I wanted to never, ever have to deal with warranties and waiting for service repair, etc. again. This washer has been excellent. You might have to look at independent appliances places to find the Speed Queen machines.

25. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

My friend just bought a set and top loaders were recommended. There is a Consumer's Report article out there which was fairly recent and gave some best models if you want to check it out. Some brands that were the best in the past are not necessarily the greatest at this point.

26. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I'm curious--why are people leaving their washer doors open and wiping things down? I've never done that, and can't imagine why I ever would :confused:.

Is this an issue with fabric softener?

27. maatTheViking

Because of the way front loaders work, they can't drain the water completely, there will always be some moisture left inside the drum and especially inside the gasket ring in the door. In addition, the door has to be shut completely tight (unlike a top loader), so water doesn't run out when you run it :p, so the moisture trapped can theoretically generate a bit of mildew or mildew smell.
    I find that if you run your washer more than once a week, it wont happen anyway, but I like to keep the door open anyway ( I never wipe the gasket).

I am not sure why this is not an issue in dishwashers, as they will trap moisture too, and they need to be sealed completely too. I guess they don't have a gasket seal so you don't have a water entrapment in the same way?

In any case, I really don't think it is a real issue - I have never heard of anyone complaining of mildew in their washer, and you can't get top loaders in Denmark. But then again, I would NEVER own a toploader again and if we move to a house with one I would order a new washer asap. I don't understand why they are still sold.

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i dont understand what makes the front loaders so attractive to people. i just got a new machine and i told them top loader only.

29. BigB08822

We got an LG top loader. The main benefit to the front loader was that it cleans better and is easier on your clothes. We don't go out and roll in the dirt and our current top loader washes our clothes just fine so we don't anticipate a problem. It does not have the center agitator so it will be easier on the clothes as it is and this one has enough room for a king size comforter. Thank goodness because my cat likes to use it as a bathroom when I neglect her litter box. That saves us $30 each trip to the dry cleaner right there. We also got an LG dryer but we did not opt for the nicer version that includes steam. They will be delivered Saturday and I can't wait to use it. Our current washer is so loud on the spin cycle that it sounds like we live on an airport runway. Even with the door closed to our laundry room we can hardly hear the television. These are the ones we got, I did have to laugh a little because the washing machine kind of looks like a giant bread maker :lol: :

Washer
    Dryer

They were on sale for $629 each and this made them the cheapest of the higher end models. The only ones cheaper were the really plain traditional looking machines that we currently have and did not want again. I would have liked a fancier looking one, and there was one we thought about, but in the end it was an extra $300 for just a little more room and this one already has enough space. I like the look of the other ones better, especially the display, but that is just cosmetic.

30. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

It actually IS an issue, although it is more common with older front loaders like the Maytag Neptune, which settled a class action lawsuit over this issue in 2009; there is a similar lawsuit pending against Whirlpool right now, among others. The mold grows under the boot (which is the official name for the gasket) and on the outside of the washer drum where you can't see it (because any that starts growing on the inside gets rubbed off regularly). Mold LOVES soap and fabric softener residue, and because of the low water use, front-loaders and HE washers are prone to mold growth. It is a particular problem for people who overuse soap and fabric softener (most, especially those who do not use HE detergent in their HE washers) and have hard water (many). The first sign of the problem is usually that your towels start smelling mustbut by then it's usually pretty bad.

I am allergic to mold, among other things, and I get a lot of information from different allergy doctor sources about preventing mold attacks; front loading washer mold problems show up a lot on my feeds. Many people never do have problems, but for me, cleaning the washer regularly is something I consider a necessity, especially since we have a humid basement. It's also a good idea to sanitize your washer after someone in the house has been sick, because viruses and bacteria have been found living happily in washing machines and dryers; I've seen reports of a couple of other studies that have found this as well.

Congrats on the new machines, BigB! I hope they work well for you!