Buying New Skates -- need advice please!

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Sailor Moon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon New Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a specific boot? I'm learning single jumps, and my foot has a high arch, yet really small heels and ankles. One coach at my rink recommended custom Klingbeils, but since I'm such a low level, that seems like major overkill.

Then the coach I started seeing gave me a recommendation to purchase Riedells from a shop that specifically sells figure skates. Unfortunately, I've already purchased skates from this shop twice, and have had rather poor experiences with the skates I got. My first pair were recreational Riedells (I'd never skated before), so it was understandable when I needed something better a few months later. However these were so big I ended up spraining my ankle, yet the arch was so low that my feet would get a sharp pain. I found this to be the case when I tried on Riedells of a better quality as well.

My second pair ended up being a set of GAM 035's, these were significantly better at first, but after a few months again, there are gigantic creases in the sides, and these have also turned out to be too big. As these would have originally been a $200 pair of skates, I was kind of annoyed that they didn't last long either. Granted, I knew that these were an older model that had been sitting in the store for a while (I got them discounted), but that doesn't help that this place fitted me with a pair of skates that were too big again.

I really liked my GAMs at first, so should I just try to stick with that brand and go down a size? Or if anyone else has a good brand recommendation that would be fantastic. Fortunately there's three other figure skate shops within a 30 mile radius, so I can avoid that one place, and still have a lot of options available.

I REALLY appreciate anyone who took the time to read that, and THANK YOU for your help!

2. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

If you're an adult skater, your longest toe should just touch the front of the skate. You don't need "growing room". For us the advice is - how did your previous boot fit? If there are no problems(bunions, calluses, etc), our fitter is reluctant to change brands.

I would try another shop and get fitted.

I would have returned any skates that only lasted a a few months.

3. Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon New Member

Yea, my toes definitely don't reach the front if my heels are hitting the back. My current boots seemed to fit great at first, but after a while they seemed too big (completely aside from the crease issues). The coach I have suggested that I look for a pair that have notches near the ankles, and newer GAM models have that. I've also heard that they're better than they used to be, so hopefully that's true!

I never thought to return them for breaking down so fast, and I guess it's too late at this point since I stopped skating for a while until about a month ago.

I'm also concerned about getting the right strength. My coach was kind of ambiguous about what I'd really need, haha.

4. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

If you are actively jumping and have difficulties with stock boots, customs are worth it.

5. Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon New Member

So far, I haven't had trouble with jumps, but spins, definitely.

I appreciate the advice though! If I find I have difficultly later on, I would definitely get customs.

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

It can be very worth the $$ to get customs. A good pair of Klingbeils is really not much more expensive than decent stock boots, and it sounds like with your unusual feet a custom pair might be worth it, even if it seems like a lot out of pocket (you do need these feet for the rest of your life, after all). If you are an adult, you will usually need more boot than a kid at your level because, well, we typically weigh more than the little waifs learning single jumps!! Absolutely take the time to go to at least one skate shop to get really properly fitted. You might ask other coaches at your rink, or the skating director, if they know a fitter whom they trust. It's important that the fitter knows what he/she is doing.

7. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Also recommend finding a good boot fitter....and that might be an option at a skating competition. A number of the skating boot manufacturers go to summer competitions as well as regional/sectional/championship events. That might give you the opportunity to try on different boots, and get a feel for the differences before you invest in a pair of custom boots. Also think about orthotic inserts...these should be custom made. The key is finding someone who really knows how to fit boots. Perhaps...email your regional or sectional (or US Figure Skating offices) skating representatives for suggestions for recommendations for someone who really knows the boots/styles/fits/ blade placement...it will make all the difference.