Buying Air Ticket to Africa

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by barbk, Mar 25, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

D is going to work in Uganda this summer for her thesis project, and I have to purchase the ticket. Any suggestions as to the best way to do that? Are the student travel services any particular bargain? Anything to be careful about? The routings are all more complicated than the typical tickets I've booked, and there aren't very many flights a week to Entebbe Airport. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

I am also traveling to Uganda this summer and found the most efficient connections with KLM, code sharing with Delta. Leaving from Oklahoma City, which is not exactly a hub, I only have 2 connections. I will stop for under 2 hrs in Atlanta, then about two hours again in Amsterdam, then direct to Entebbe. Also just 2 same day connections on the return with Memphis as the US hub. All other carriers would have ended up requiring an additional day. I can send you the flight numbers if you think any of those would work with your departure city.

3. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

When I studied abroad in Africa in 2008, I went to a local travel agency (a non-student one). They were very helpful and easy to work with, and gave me an itinerary that worked very well for me. I flew from Detroit, to Amsterdam, to Johannesburg (stayed overnight), to Antananarivo (Madagascar). And on the way home I vacationed in Cairo, and flew through Johannesburg from Madagascar there, and then through Amsterdam back to Detroit. My total cost, with the travel agency fee, was around $2200, which I felt was very reasonable, considering I was adding an extra stop on the way home.

alexikeguchi, be careful with Atlanta. I had a connection there twice a few weeks ago and both times had delays... the first time, delayed getting in due to not being cleared to land, and the second time, my connecting flight was delayed leaving by about an hour and a half. I know that you probably can't alter your itinerary, but if that is an option, I would consider if it's available. The airport is huge, and I had to sprint at least a half a mile to get just to the next terminal over, and barely made my connection the first time I went through there. Heard some other horror stories from that airport... I'm going to try to avoid connecting through there at all costs in the future. Good luck to you, and have fun in Uganda!! :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

Thanks, Fridge Break! I've been through Atlanta before, so I will be prepared. I haven't had more of a problem connecting through there than other equally unpleasant and huge airports like LAX, DFW, or JFK but agree that it's pretty nasty. BTW, that sounds like a great trip you took a couple years ago. I have been fortunate to have visited Madagascar, South Africa, and Egypt as well but all different trips. I am hoping to add Tanzania, the Seychelles, and Ethiopia, but all in good time.