Butterfly jump

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by leafygreens, Aug 24, 2011.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Anybody have any tips on the regular butterfly jump? I've got the Ann Margreth Frei tape and it's really good but the move is sooo hard.

Also wondering if this move is possible on skates: Butterfly with a twist. Has anybody ever done it?
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be possible to get that much horizontal rotation that quickly on skates.
  3. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

scissor kicks at the boards helps my students
  4. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Haha, that butterfly with a twist is neat. I'm sure it could be done on skates... perhaps I'll try it next time I skate.

As for tips... making sure you get your body parallel to the ice before you jump (this is the hardest part for me..) then yeah, after that it's just the scissoring leg action... holding on to the boards like skatemommy said helps to practice.
  5. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

If you are a CCW spinner, planting the right toe pick is the most important thing on the take off.
  6. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

7. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

8. aster

aster Member

Arabians should be almost upside down in mid-air -- it's kind of like a cartwheel, except without hands. Butterflies are flatter mid-air.
  9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That twist didn't even look real- if it was, WOW.
  10. sailornyanko

sailornyanko New Member

Wow, that twist at the end looks like an Iron Lotus without the beheading! I could try the Butterfly jump on the floor and later on the ice, but how to do the twist? Never done a twist before and don't know if I'm strong enough for it, but it would be fun as hell to do. :confused: