But, It Was For My Mommy!" (Top Chef: Just Desserts)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DarrellH, Sep 23, 2010.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I have never seen anyone have a complete meltdown like they showed last night! Seth does not need to be in a kitchen with sharp knives.:watch:

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wondered why Seth was cast. He is so "troubled" that it's hard to see if he has any ability.
    The other contestants shouldn't have to deal with his issues, in addition to the pressures of competing, themselves.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We're having a bit of a discussion over at FORT. Something about his inability to switch gears and his social interactions is making me think he might be on the Asperger's continuum. If so, shame on the producers for casting him.

4. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

ITA.

Was really sad about the elimination.

5. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Just bumping this up--to :wuzrobbed that they FINALLY find a way to do a fashion challenge on Top Chef, and PR is on freaking Lifetime.

Why couldn't they have made edible clothing as a joint collaboration/challenge thingy between Top Chef and Project Runway when they were both on the same channel? Oh, the specials and the snarkiness that could have been had...with knives! Just imagine Marcel and Gretchen...:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I like this show but I have never seen such a cast of NUTS! People are forever having meltdowns, quitting, passing out from anxiety, getting kicked off, etc. I hope that next season they focus on casting for TALENT and not to bring in the drama.

7. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I call BS that Zac didn't win this challenge. His dress was more difficult and detailed and executed just as well as Morgans. And I'd be surprised if Morgan's was wearable like Zac's.

I also like the size and shapes of Zac's petit fours better than Morgans, as well as the flavors, but that's just a personal preference I guess. I thought Zac's were more technically demanding as well.

And yes Jayar, I can back up a technical opinion of pastry and chocolate technique. :p

8. slicekw

slicekw #ICanFixYourComputerButICan'tFixIceNetworkFreezes

Yes, but do you look better than Jayar in an edible dress? :watch:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Looks are one thing, but were you actually there to taste anything? Zac may have had more interesting flavors on paper, but Morgan may have had better texture and pulled off his flavors better.

10. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

That is entirely possible.

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I thought the top 3 were so far ahead of the others, actually, that I would have been OK no matter who won. Some of the also-rans were just WTF.

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I was laughing at Morgan and his (seemingly) intense shoe fetish.

13. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I do agree the Top 3 were close enough to justify the winners, but I thought that the execution and difficulty level of Zac's should have put him at a slight edge over the other two, and his petit fours did tie into the dress.

14. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Mrs. Reuven tutored Zac for his bar mitzvah. He hasn’t changed, he always seems to be having a great time.

15. Matryeshka

According to my sister, ALL pastry chefs are like that. :rofl: Of course, she's uber-snob savory chef, so she's biased. BTW, Seth was on an episode of Chopped, and he was definitely an arrogant asshat on that show too, but there was no indication that he was insane momma's boy, so I'm going to give the producers a pass on casting him. If he got through one network and had TV experience on his CV, then they probably didn't think, hmmm, maybe this guy will break down over grapefruit juice and plastic cups.

I like Morgan OK, but I think he's trying too hard to be the "straight guy" to the point of thou protest too much. He gets a little less attractive each time he opens his mouth, but he hasn't totally lost his appeal to me (yet).

Zac's also too much I think playing to a charicature, and Heather H. needs to get over herself. SHE wanted to do that damn sculpture, and she wanted to do it by herself. It's on tape. :p And it's not like Morgan decided who won; the judges did. He didn't personally cost her the win--she cost herself the win by focusing more on the sculpture than the dessert. I'm with her on the finding guys that refer to all girls as "honey" or "baby" annoying, but her reaction is still over the top and has less to do with her being genuinely offended and more to do with him winning again and her being on the bottom.

Prancer and (deleted member) like this.
  16. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

yes, didn't Johnny say that one of Zac's ended up being kind of grainy?

17. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I was really looking forward to this show, but it's been too much :drama: and not enough baking. I gave up on it with the glee/cheer stuff. The lady who quit will probably turn out to be the real winner, she left the nuthouse.

18. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Rewatching the episode. Yeah, Zac's ganache was a little grainy according to JI. My guess would be his chocolate didn't properly temper properly (it's a bit of a process to do, and not the easiest thing, for the most part, you just have to kind of guess if it is actually tempered or not. There are a few tells, but even then they aren't always full proof). It is noticeable in the final product if it did or did not temper though.

19. Prancer

Prancer Ghetto Fabulous Staff Member

That must have been fun. Zac always has that little twinkle in his eye :).

20. Matryeshka

Who will win? Yigit, possibly the only likeable character on the show? Manly manliest of manly men Morganza? Or, will the winner be, it came from planet Danielle!

Odds on Morgan and Zac shagging sometime after the end of the show, or Morgan trying to shag Zac and Zac running away begging Yigit to protect him from the big butchy man?

21. BigB08822

Did this air yet? I would put my money on Morgan. I think Yigit chokes in the elimination challenges but has been lucky to somehow keep slipping by. Danielle has been awful and is such a b*tch most of the time. Morgan kind of wins by default. I think he is a little off putting at times but he seems like a nice enough guy and I think he is probably the most talented of those three.

22. Matryeshka

It aired.

Yigit WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, based on the comments, I don't even think Morganza was in the running for the top spot. His only out-of-this world dessert was the kuchembaum thingy, but I noticed they talked more about technique regarding that dessert than the taste. It was kind of surprising/shocking though about one thing--if this episode had been the only one I'd seen the entire season, I'd be wuzrobbing for Danielle, but if you consider the run of the entire season, I think Yigit was the right winner. It was like skating. Morganza had teknik, Danilelle had the voids, but Yigit was the best all-around.

23. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

I'm pleased with the outcome, as I liked the winner from the beginning. I tend to doubt this will be back for a second season though. I think I was the only one in the northeast watching it! And even I thought it was a bit too overdramatic!

24. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the series, but wasn't a big fan of Yigit. He obviously ruled the final, though.

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Another non-fan here. I found him thoroughly unlikeable and was hoping someone else would win.

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

l liked Yigit fine and was glad he won. I don't think Danielle did well throughout the season, but I would have been okay if she won based on the final. I just flat out did not want Morgan to win. Usually, I just want the person that wins to do the best job, but I just wanted him to do a bad job. When he called Zac a fairy, I was done.

27. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

Yigit was unlikeable???? :huh:

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Yiğit struck me as a kind of tough, no-nonsense competitor, but outside the kitchen he seemed like a nice enough guy. Morgan on the other hand...what a jerk.

29. BigB08822

They need to try a bit harder at casting likable people next season. They also should work on not casting so many walking Prozak advertisements. If it even comes back, that is.

30. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

Unfortunately I think a lot of these shows pull in ratings with "unlikeable"...as much as I usually hate the unlikeable characters, I will admit the shows can get dreadfully boring once they're voted off/cooked off/booted/eliminated/last to the bathmat.