Bryce Davison's plans

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Skate Canada has issued a press release today (link not available yet) -- here is the full text:
    ETA link: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/989/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Good for him. One of the great things about Canadians each year is seeing all the former competitors at the boards, passing their experience, skills and encouragement to the next generation.

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Wish Bryce all the best as he begins the next stage of his skating career. Looks like he has settled in at the rink in Hamilton. And it would be great if he can bring more young boys to the sport!

4. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Best of luck to him in his coaching career!

5. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Good luck to him!!

6. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Bryce! I'm sure the younger skaters will learn a lot from him.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Very smart choice. He's going to be a great coach. :) Looking forward to seeing him on the other side of the boards.

8. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Bring more boys to the sport, Bryce!! We sure need them.. Best of luck in your future.

9. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Best wishes, Bryce! You are a wonderful role model for young male skaters!

10. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Great move, I think! I have a feeling he'll make a great coach. :)

11. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I wish him good luck with his coaching career. If he was living here, I would take him as my coach for sure lol!:)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

To be honest, personally I think Jessica was the person to drag them down, although she was also the person who shone. I really hope Bryce having a happier career as a coach.

13. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

I am so glad to see that Bryce is coaching here in Hamilton!! Hmm, might be time to put my daughter in CanSkate ... ;)

14. puretea

puretea Active Member

Good luck, Bryce!! :)

15. shutterbug

For anyone in the Hamilton area who might be interested:

This made me :lol::

16. Sylvia

Cambridge Times article (August 4, 2011): Davison not quite ready to retire

17. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Sylvia and the quote from it. :)

Just from watching Bryce interact w/the little ones at SC a couple of years ago, I had a feeling he'd be a great coach some day. I really hope this new direction in his skating life is a very successful one. :)

18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

To me it was Bryce who shone. They both have greater posture, but IMO Bryce's stands among garden variety male pairs skaters in terms of both posture and grace.

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, to me there was nothing that thrilling about Jessica Dube.

20. halffull

halffull Life is a beautiful thing

ITA with both of you :) I will miss Bryce's skating but wish him all the best as a coach. Lucky little skaters in Hamilton :rollin:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. shutterbug

Hmm. So some feelers were put out. I’d be curious to know who he was interested in. South of the border perhaps? Sylvia (or anyone else who might know), is there some sort of competition registration deadline in the US system? Sept. 1st?

Here is the CHCH news video interview with Bryce and some footage of him working with the kids both on and off the ice: http://www.youtube.com/user/HamiltonSkatingClub#p/u/0/6-zR1M6-QVk. Be forewarned, it’s a bit of an OTT lurve-fest. :lol: He does utter the “r” word” however. Understandable that he might still be a little ambivalent about his plans. I usually tell my clients to hold off making any major life decisions until they’re fully recovered because they may feel quite differently once they’re able to return their normal activities. It can be hard to stay motivated and positive during a long rehab program, especially when there here isn’t a specific goal to work toward or an activity the person is anxious to get back to.

22. Sylvia

Yes, any new US pair or dance team that hopes to qualify for 2012 US Nationals via one of the 3 Sectional Championships in November 2011 must register online with USFS by September 1, 2011.

23. shutterbug

Thanks Sylvia! That would have put the kibosh on competing for the US this season. Unfortunate. :(

24. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

A September 1st deadline seems so early. A team that forms in September or October could possibly throw something together in time for November's Sectionals and be plenty competent for January's Nationals, but instead has to sit out for the whole season. Oh well. I understand that registrations cannot be made at the last minute, but Sept 1 is early. On the bright side, it encourages new teams to not rush things, I suppose.

25. jessiesk8r

jessiesk8r New Member

The deadline is September 1st because most entrants start their qualifying season at Regionals (in early October). For a Senior pair, they get a bye through Regionals since there are not as many competitors and begin their qualifying at Sectionals, but need to register early to "qualify" for their bye.