Broadmoor skater Flatt quickly ‘growing up'

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jlai, Sep 8, 2010.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Can't wait to see the 3/3 combo. I do think it is a little degrading to say she is becoming a young lady...she already is one! Will be very fun to see the programs. Not sure about the music choices...but we will see.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

A 3Lz+3Lo and a 2A+3T?!

:cheer2:

It would be nice seeing Rachael accomplish this!

4. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It sounds like she is adding difficulty to her programs. It will be interesting to see how these combinations work out.

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. diskates

diskates New Member

I think its a great time for her to try adding difficulty. Last year the most important thing was that she make the Olympic team and have a good showing so adding new material that she may faulter on would not have been the best idea. Now that the Olympics are over, she can work more on developing her skating for the future. I think she needs it too in order to make up for her lack of artistry and distinctive skating style. Hopefully she is working on all of that too. She seems to have such a great personallity off the ice but her skating is often bland and forgettable in my opinion.

7. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Love her exhibition. Very well choreographed and executed! I notice some improvements in posture, use of arms, and ice coverage. Rachael looks more elegant too. Good, good, good!

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Finally an article about Flatt that DIDN'T focus on her academics. Looking forward to a 3lutz3loop from her. A smart bet too, since even if downgraded it would still be worth a ton.

But more than a difficult 3/3 I want her to improve on her speed and posture. Because her lutz and flip technique isn't the best anyway.

Her priorities should really be:
    1. speed
    2. lutz and flip technique
    3. line and posture
    4. 3/3
    5. spins

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. jlai

jlai Title-less

Not likely under current coach. :p

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:( I want it even more on Zawadzki and Mroz.

12. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

He's so blind to her flaws:(

Rachael tried a 3flip/3loop at Skate America 2 years ago, got a downgrade and promptly dumped it in favor of a toe loop. Of course, we'll see how the new rules effect things, but I wouldn't be surprised if she ditches it if it isn't consistent and doesn't garner full marks.

But seriously, why did she spend the summer learning a 3z/3l when she should have been fixing her spin positions, posture, and line?? Tom Z is nuts IMO.

13. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a lot more feasible for her to learn a 3z-3l than it is for her to suddenly develop flexible spin positions and have gorgeous lines? Working on a 3z-3l doesn't necessarily mean her flaws are being ignored... But some things just can't be helped that much. We've heard for a while about how Rachael has some lingering effects from a back injury that have hindered her flexibility on spins and what not. Her strength is jumping, so it would make sense for her to work on new combos.

I do agree that it wouldn't be surprising if she ends up ditching the loop in favor of the 3z-3t.

14. Triple Butz

Line and flexibility are NOT the same thing. Based on summer competition videos, I don't see any improvement in those other areas, and she in fact looks slower and even more hunched. I do wish her well, and hope the 3/3 works in her favor I just wish she had spent a little bit more time on body awareness.

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That can't be good, especially not next to Mirai, Ashley and even Christine.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Rachael is more 'cute' (ala Elena Sokolova) than 'beautiful' (ala Marie-France Dubreuil), hence she will always look young for her age. And it would make her attempting a 'romantic' program a little awkward. Still, I love this gal.

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm at work and can't access it, but her Glacier Falls performance is on youtube. You can see where she will insert the 3z-3l and 2x-3t

18. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I don't think Tom Z sees the flaws in many of his skaters. His focus has always been technical...he is not particularly known for "finishing skaters," ...creating a long line on the ice is not his forte. Abbott is the only skater of his (past or current) that naturally has that look and has worked even harder, IMO, to work on his presentation since leaving Zakrajsek! :)

Rumor has it that Flatt is working very hard on a new look on the ice...with more upbeat character driven music, as noted in the article link above, but since USFS Champs Camp, word has it that she has a new look as well...shorter hair!

19. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I would reverse your #4 and #5. 3+3 should be last priority for Rachael. She has lots more to work on improving besides that.

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I just don't think we should assume she hasn't been working on other things just because she is doing a new 3/3. Even if we don't see much improvement in other areas, it doesn't mean she hasn't tried. It is not easy to fix some of things she has issues on. Posture, line, flexibility... A lot of that is very hard to show noticeable improvements. And to be fair, it's not like she had much time to work on anything before that summer competition with her hectic post-Olympic schedule.

21. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

That "One Day I'll Fly Away" was a very nice program. She's added some grace to her skating is looking better. Wish her luck for the new season :)

22. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

This is a great list, except I would move line and posture to the top (assuming this is a feasible goal for Rachael, not sure about the back thing). Speed is important, but I think Rachael could still hold her own in the US if she gets the "pretty" look downpat, combined with those impressive 3/3s, even if she's a bit slow. I mean, Alissa isn't particularly fast, yet she has a US title and would have had even more if she could have gotten those jumps under control.

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think spins are much more important, but since jumps are worth more now and GOEs mean less, she is going to get more points standing up on a cheated 3/3 than finally fixing those dreadful spins.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

For PCS and overall impression, speed is (supposedly) much more important. Line and posture are important to skating but are not as important under COP.

I also think she probably has a better shot getting closer to Slutskaya than to Kwan in terms of skating. It's so wrong for her to take that princess route. Her latest long program makes me :eek:.

25. Triple Butz

I just don't think she's ever going to have a super powerful or aggressive style. She is such a hard worker, I really think if she had started this summer with the goal of improving her posture and line, we would see a huge difference. I mean, she basically fixed her flutz in one summer, so you'd think she could learn to hold her back up and relax her shoulders. Instead, she worked on 3/3s and took some jazz classes, which is great, but not enough to improve her overall look.

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I can't see her being fast or agressive, but I can't see her being elegant either. That's why I think she should just be athletic and focus on the technical elements and all the whilst making sure she has enough of the aesthetics to get by. When I mentioned Slutskaya/ Kwan, I absolutely did not mean their level, but that direction. At her best perhaps Flatt can be another Yoshie Onda. An eyesore, but at least an infectious skater. :slinkaway

She might have some sort of injury that affected her back. There was some clip floating around last week of her doing a wonderful layback a few years ago. And given how she is built, her line and posture can only go so far really.

And to be honest, the flutz... is not fixed. She no longer takes off from the inside edge yes, but the way she shifts her body before takeoff - UGLY.

27. jlai

jlai Title-less

I wonder if Tom Z's philosophy may have something to do with his skaters' development. I remember him stressing hard work over talent in an old interview. That means he may choose hard workers over naturally gifted students.

28. Triple Butz

Re: The flutz, you may still think it's ugly but the "flutz" part of the jump IS fixed. I don't think it's the most attractive entrance either, but I don't find it too distracting and it is a real lutz.

I don't think body type is the problem here. Dorothy Hamill wasn't rail thin, had muscular legs and real hips, and she had the best posture in the business despite not being "bendy." Same can be said for Yuka Sato and others. Pointing your toes, and extending your legs (not bending your knees slightly) during camel spins/spirals, relaxing your shoulders and keeping your head up....these are all things that Rachael is more than capable of doing.

Also, I DO think Rachael is capable of elegance. I find that, like Sarah Hughes, there are flashes of elegance in her programs, only to be followed immediately by clunky, awkward moments. At least Hughes had speed, so maybe you have a point there ;)

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I would also suggest that she should work on the size of her jumps, alas GOEs are worth much less now - not worth it.

30. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Slaughter on Tenth Avenue? Well, she's no Suzanne Farrell, but I'll be interested to see what she can do with it... :watch:

Best of luck to her!