Broadmoor Ice Palace today.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSWer, May 19, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I was wondering about it. Broadmoor Ice Palace (aka the Arena that held the 1961 Nationals). Does anyone know if it's still around? Did it survive into the 21rst Cent.? If so. Does it still hold Competitions and Shows. Is it also home to any famous Skaters or Learn to Skate classes,or Synchronized Skating?

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

No, the old World Arena has been torn down, sadly.

The current "World Arena" is by I25, has both an arena and separate practice ice, and is home to lots of famous skaters (Patrick Chan, Rachael Flatt,...)

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's an article about the history of the old Broadmoor Ice Palace, later renamed the World Arena: http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...ss_winter_sports_at_the_broadmoor.html?cat=14
    Excerpts:
    ETA: The article mentions that the Broadmoor Ice Palace opened to the public on January 1, 1938, and the demolition of the (renamed) World Arena took place in March 1994.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Gee,was it torn down quite by coencidence because of it being run-down? Or because of memeries of the Skaters who died in the Plane Crash? BTW. was it built on that exact spot? Is it were the origal was? Or what is there now? BTW. are ther any savaged photos of the outside/inside of the old Rink?

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  5. joannskater

joannskater New Member

The rink was torn down in 1994. Yes, it was run-down, but the Broadmoor Hotel no longer wanted an ice rink on the hotel grounds. The Colorado Springs World Arena continues some of the tradition since it is the home of the Broadmoor Skating Club. What is there now is what we locals call "The Bench" that remembers the skaters killed in the 1961 plane crash. There is a hotel building on the land where the rink was. Here's a link to some information on the club: http://figureskating.about.com/od/profilesoffamousskaters/p/broadmoorsc.htm

6. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

How run Down-was it? Were things broken,etc.? Why wouldn't the Hotel no longger want an Ice Rink on their grounds? I should think that they would. As it must have given busness to the Hotel? Skaters...if you know what I mean. By deciding they didn't want a Rink. They gave up busness. So there''s ANOTHER hotel built right were it was? What Hotel is it,and is there anything at the Hotel remembering what happened there? If you go in I mean?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's a short history of the Broadmoor Ice Palace:
    http://www.d11.org/bristol/Bristol_wall/1930/front_1930_icepalac.htm
    Excerpt:

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I thought from your title you were saying something was happening there today.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like all names were put on it. BTW. I was wondering how they desided on a Bench to Dedicate to the Skaters? Do we have a history on that? Also it looks like so far so good. But I surely hope the Broadmoor Police are watching it for vandulisum.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The names on the bench memorial are of the 8 Broadmoor Skating Club member skaters who died in the 1961 plane crash: Edi Scholdan (coach) and his son Jimmy, Stephanie and Sharon Westerfeld, Greg and Nathalie Kelley and Laurie and William Hickox.

From the Facebook page:

12. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I was last in the building in 1988. It was a creaky old wooden building, some gaps in the wood, cold, and with bathroom/locker room facilities that were quite out-of-date. In addition to the main arena, there was a smaller subsidiary rink (often used for curling) in another part of the arena. It was used for the skating club, for Colorado College hockey matches, and curling. It was not in the least up to ADA standards, and probably could not have been so adapted without major bucks. (It was still lovely, with banners for world champions hanging around the arena.)

The Broadmoor is a very, very high end resort hotel -- probably the finest in Colorado. The World Arena took up prominent and desirable land on the lake behind the Broadmoor, and I'm not at all surprised that the hotel thought that an expansion would yield more revenue than the World Arena. (The expansion is of the Broadmoor, not of a different hotel entirely.)

I don't think that the Broadmoor has a big vacancy rate at any time, so I'm not sure that the presence/absence of the World Arena on the premises makes much difference. (I think that at some of the international skating events the USFSA has put up the judges & international officials at the Broadmoor even though the competition has been held at the new arena. Most other attendees probably wouldn't be able to afford the Broadmoor's charges.)

13. flatsee

flatsee New Member

I recall going to a Fourth of July show there-possibly the last show ever held-at the Broadmoor in July 1993. Our family had been visiting the museum and happened to stop by the rink just as the show was starting and it turned out to be terrific. The roster included Paul Wylie, Scott Davis, Nicole Bobek, who all did a bunch of triples.
    I think Scott and Nicole were training w/Kathy Casey there at the time and I remember them checking their takeoff and landing etchings on the ice when the lights came up after the show.
    The rink had a cool feel to it-there were banners hanging with the names of all the U.S. and World champions all over, but you could definitely tell the venue needed some renovations.
    I'm just glad I was able to get there before it went away!

14. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

You...SAW the inside of that Rink? Do you mean you were the last person to see it? So yo mean those were the Skaters who had that Rink as a Home base,right? Is there anything that actually (along with the Bench) is Dedicated to ALL the victums and Skaters? BTW. is there anyone here who actually DID go to see the 1961 Nationals there?

15. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Dana, I think that she meant the last time that she herself was in the building, not the last time anybody at all was in it.

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

It probably had something to do with liability insurance.

17. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

IIRC, the 1994 World Junior Championships were held in Broadmoor in late '93 That event included the first competition between Kwan and Slutskaya; the Russian men's team included Alexei Yagudin, Ilia Kulik and Alexander Abt. Anyone know if this World Junior event was held in the new arena or the old one?

18. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here who actually DID see the inside of that Rink? Or did indeed see the 1961 Nationals there? Also,was there a Synchronized Skating Team there before it was torn down? BTW. we know they had to replenish the Olympic Team. I'm also believing because of the crash that they had to also replenish the Skating Club? If this is true....how long did it take to do so? Say,can anyone btw. get me a copy of the 1961 Nationals?

19. icetiff

icetiff New Member

The old Broadmoor rink had so much history to it. I started skating there and I believe I am the last skater still competing that started skating at the original Broadmoor rink. The last memory I have of the rink was the last day the rink was open right before they tore it down, they drove a white limo onto the ice after each practice session, and each of us skaters would climb into limo with our skates on and they would take us for a lap outside around the Broadmoor hotel. They wanted all the skaters to say goodbye to the rink in style. I will never forget that day.

20. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Dana, not everyone who perished in the 61 accident was a member of the Broadmoor club, so they didn't really have to replenish the full club so to speak. Also, that competition was 50 years ago, so it is doubtful anyone here on this board was there. There is some video available on the competition on youtube. You can look up the skater by name. Not all performances are there, and not all of the available clips are a full program, but you can still see quite a bit. One thing: the clips are in black and white, and will look very fuzzy and poor quality compared to what you'd see today, but that was the only technology available back then.

Here is Laurence Owen as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0114AudgYms

You can find other performances when you watch this clip.

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's really cool!

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

IIRC, Dana (FSWer) can't watch youtube videos on his computer, unfortunately. Skateweb has 1961 US Nationals video files available for downloading: http://www.frogsonice.com/video/1961-nats/

Thanks for sharing that really special memory, icetiff! :)

23. OldGuy

OldGuy New Member

I went to my first Words at the Broadmoor in 1957. What a thrill AND what a difference. Out seats were metal folding chairs set on planks on the ice at the end of the arena. You can imagine how cold those chairs got overnight!! Also the record player (yes, record player) was at the skaters' entrance to the ice on a folding table which got bumped into a couple of times.

The great part of it was that most everyone, skaters and spectators, stayed at the Broadmoor and there was terrific interaction and no necessity for security. I made friends that are still in touch to this day.

I've been to quite a few Worlds since then, but the first one is always the one you never forget.

One bit of trivia - Joan Zamboni was a skater for the US in the dance event (with Roland Junso) and the ice was cleaned by hand (rink rats, as the guys were called). I always say I've been around skating since Zamboni was a skater, not an ice machine.

24. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Icetiff..YOU?...You were a Broadmoor Ice Palace Skater before it was torn down? Was this before you did Pairs? Do you have any pics of when you skated there that you want to share? I hope btw. that I'm not being too personal with you.