British Ice Dance

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Imperfect Edge, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

Still no word from Sinead and John ... Im thinking that no news is good news in terms of them carrying on next year, if they havent decided one way or the other carrying on has to still be an option.

Little sum up of who may/may not be competing this year (based on iSkate and partnersearch) ...

Seniors Sinead/John?, Penny/Nick, Christina/Mark, Louise/Owen, Charlotte/Josh(assume they are now too old for Juniors?), Beverley/Matheiu. (Phillippa/Philip, Melyssa/Jamie split)

Juniors Danielle/Joe, Sarah/Michael, Olivia/Michael(or is he too old?), Sophie/Richard, Kate-Louise/Rory(logic would suggest they will move up?). Perhaps also Helen/Jack, and Hazel/Mathew. (Charlotte/Ryan and Danielle/Mathew split).

Be interesting to hear if there are any new partnerships likely to compete ...

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. suki

suki New Member

They have returned to the training rink in NJ with Platov. I don't know if they have officially made an announcement or decided to continue, but they are practicing. They are both very well-liked, by the way

3. DanceDanceDance

DanceDanceDance Banned Member

I have heard some of the speculation that the Kerrs will continue, for now at least. Nothing official so far as I'm aware, but it will be great to see them on the circuit again if this is true! :cool:

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

You know, i really like both teams Penny/Nick, Christina/Mark. They are so fresh, beautifull, have interesting programs. I think all be OK with British ice dancing :D
    But if Kerrs will contunuie - it will be greate too! Love them ;)

5. Imperfect Edge

It would be good if they did chose to do Europeans and then hopefully we would get at least 2 spots when Euros come to Sheffield :)

6. Timbuktu

Timbuktu Banned Member

I dare say that securing at least two spots for the sheffield european event figures very highly in the plan. That is an excellent idea, and it is great that the Kerrs are supporting that goal as well as their own.

It is likely to be a very interesting couple of years, and with the NISA AGM at the end of the month, I will certainly watch how things develop with great interest. Now that NISA backed down after the most recent legal challenge, I am excited to see what the implications will be.

7. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

I'd love to see them AT Euros in Sheffield. It would be great for them to get a chance to compete on home soil before they retire. Also, hopefully having some high ranking competitors/medal contenders (depending on how the next couple of seasons shape up of course) in an event at home will get people not usually big fans interested in the sport here too (beyond the Dancing on Ice level of interest)

8. icekoolmum

icekoolmum New Member

I see that Gabriella Battershill is also on partner search now, so another potential junior couple have split.

Glad the court case was resolved hopefully leaving some funding available for our skaters such as the Kerrs.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I know this is a dance thread, but would like to share this link to a recent positive article about Matthew Parr: http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/latest-news/Skater-looking-forward-to-new.6300238.jp

Charlotte Aiken turned 18 this past January and Josh Whidborne was 20 last September so they have one more year of ISU Junior age eligibility left.

10. icekoolmum

icekoolmum New Member

Surely if they won so convincingly last year they would be better getting into senior and establishing themselves there for the next four years.

11. Imperfect Edge

Maybe thats what they'll chose to do. Then again theres tough competition at senior level. What was the latest legal challenge about? Im loosing track of them!

12. Starshine6

Starshine6 New Member

It would be really good to see Charlotte and Josh amongst the Seniors, but if they are still eligible for Juniors then perhaps that is where they will stay for now.

Noticed that some of the GB senior dancers - Chitwood/Hanretty, Walden/Edwards and Coomes/Buckland - now have Fan pages on Facebook. Kerr/Kerr have one too but think it's been around a while!

13. DanceDanceDance

14. lay'dback

lay'dback New Member

Heres the result of the latest legal challenge. Yet again the membership foots the bill for unavoidable expenses. :wall: **sigh!** Are we becoming a laughing stock? :confused:

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/3913

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Hmmm, what does it mean in practical terms?

16. Timbuktu

Timbuktu Banned Member

What it means is that the majority of the current board are not competent to interpret its own rules and regulations in a fair manner, that they are self serving, and biased against anyone that doesn’t agree with them. What’s worse is that they expect all and sundry to agree with them despite hard evidence to the contrary of the opinions that NISA hold.

Even in the face of the tomlin order against NISA, the original announcement that they published had a manipulative, defamatory introduction to NISA members that appeared to intend to misrepresent the facts contained in the order.

If ordinary people with decent values were revealed to be as deceitful as those currently running NISA, they would do the honourable thing and resign from their posts. Let’s see if they have any integrity at all, after wasting so much time and money at the expense of the other members of the association.

17. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Penny & Nick impressed me a lot last season. I hope we get to see them more next year. :)

18. penybrec

penybrec New Member

This thread started as a pleasant chat about British prospects in ice dance. Now it is degeneratin into a lets slag off Nisa page.Please lets get back to the former subject. We have some super ice dancers in senior, junior and novice classes. Watching the way some of the juniors developed last season was a joy. Penny and Nick at the Olympics were brilliant. I'm looking forward to this season. I have already seen some of the junior couples in practice and think we have a real reat in store. Keep it up kids

mella and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Timbuktu

Timbuktu Banned Member

I agree with you entirely. It would be excellent to not have to discuss this ongoing saga, and to focus on the skaters and their skating entirely. But if you think it is not relevant to discuss the tens of thousands of pounds that NISA have squandered on legal fees over the last year or more, money that would have been much better spent on developing the sport in some way, then that is your opinion.

Some people are interested in how these issues have been dealt with, and what has resulted so far, and they have a right to have their questions answered. The way NISA has been run has had a seriously detrimental effect on skating here, including ice dance, so is relevant to the thread.

I hope it will be a dead issue soon, but whilst it is still relevant, and some people care about the sport enough to see things things remedied, then it ought to be a topic for discussion.

20. chillybot

chillybot New Member

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why do all threads that are related to UK skating in any way end like this? Always.

You're making great PR for British skating, guys. :scream:

mella and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Tallpoppy

Tallpoppy New Member

I see the two areas as unfortunately and sadly linked...without a good governing body our British skaters are going to have a hard time achieving and reaching higher goals. For example, if money has been 'lost' rather than going to Skate Scotland what hopes do the skaters in Scotland have in attaining their goals - funding is key to helping skating esp. ice dance where costs are massive in finding partners, re-location and maintaing training and we should be concerned.

I would say this is very relevant - if we ignore these issues our skaters will be the ones to suffer.
    I say this having spoken to the coaches working with our successful British cycling team, and other UK athletes.
    I wonder how many couple splits have been in part down to financial issues.

I understand why you say what you do Ziggy, some threads have been awful. But the PR is already shot through by NISA. You try explaining how UK skating is run to well established coaches in other disciplines and you'll know this.

23. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Maybe those of you who wish to discuss the status of NISA and their various shenanigans could start a different thread so that the ones opened to discuss our skaters don't get closed when they descend into a b**chfest?

Someone remind me of the definition of insantity? :rolleyes:

Woo Woo! Me too!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Tallpoppy

Tallpoppy New Member

Fair point Mella - maybe there should be two threads, but I don't appreciate references to insanity....

I feel responsible as a NISA member to make sure ice dancers have the same potential for success as other athletes...I don't think that's insane

25. DanceDanceDance

Very good points. The two issues are incredibly connected. If there is any truth to the suggestion that there is corruption or any kind of foul play within NISA, then what would be insane would be to let it continue and to let the perpetrators get away with it.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those that say that they are fed up with hearing about all this BS that has been going on behind the scenes. It makes me sick to think that it has been going on for so long myself. Perhaps it is naïve to think that something can be done to make things better, but it is certainly naïve to ignore the problems and hope it goes away.

I can’t speak for the moderators of this site, but I suspect that they closed the previous threads because allegations were being made on both sides of the argument that were difficult to substantiate. But now we are in a situation where three people who care enough about skating in this country, at great expense to themselves, have spent the last 12 months trying to hold the current NISA Board responsible for some very dodgy allegations. The end result of that was that NISA were ordered to publish the outcome of the negotiations, and to remove their twisted interpretation of the result from their initial introduction.

This has been followed up by other people with many years of experience and dedicated service to the sport, who have published a list of questions to be answered at the AGM. Questions that go to the very heart of the integrity of the NISA Board, or the lack thereof. There are many people, including myself, that would like nothing better than to put all this behind us and just talk about the skating and the skaters. But unless and until the governing body in this country is made to act responsibly, with integrity, or is replaced, then the future of fairness for the vast majority of our skaters is in question.

26. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

The reference to insanity wasn't about caring about ice dance or free skating or any other sport. It was a joke on the basis that... "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" - eg talking about this topic (NISA and their numerous foibles) in a thread about British Skating, which inevitably get's nasty on both sides and losses us the forum to discuss our skaters.

And now I'll remove myself from this thread as it continues down the inevitable path. Or maybe the usual suspects will surprise me and keep it civilised.

27. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Another thread on British Skating Closed, when will people learn that FSU is not a forum for your own private axes to grind?

Maybe when I start deleting accounts if it's going to happen again?

Sorry to close your thread Imperfect Edge as I see it was started to just discuss skaters and skating but the rest of it is frankly, a bore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.