British Ice Dance and Pairs Take 2

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Imperfect Edge, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

**Only post if it is relevant to the subject of this thread - British Ice Dance**
    Ok so my previous thread got shut down because the topic was changed to NISA ... so I'll try again.

The British Ice Dance Season for 10-11 will kick off alongside with an IJS Couples Dance event alongside the Solo Dance Final. May give us some ideas as to who may/may not be competing this year.

From what I've been reading in the previous thread, iSkate and partnersearch and IJS Lee Valley these are the couples in/out of competition this year:

Seniors Sinead/John, Penny/Nick, Christina/Mark, Louise/Owen, Beverley/Matheiu. Partnerless= Melyssa James, Philippa Towler-Green

Juniors
    Charlotte/Josh, Danielle/Joe, Sarah/Michael, Olivia/Michael, Sophie/Richard. Also Kate-Louise/Rory, and Helen/Jack from novice, and new team Hazel/Mathew? Partnerless= Danielle Calthorpe, Charlotte Hester, Ryan Sowter, Gabriella Battershill, Zoeanna Battershill.

Novice Annika/Henry, Olivia Clarke/Jordan Brown, Laura Kerr/Paul Dredge, Hannah/Daniel Linden.

Any new teams to mention or additions to the above/progress reports? Anyone likely to attend Sheffield for the IJS Dance?

2. icekoolmum

icekoolmum New Member

Well done Imperfect Edge for trying again, lets hope it lasts longer and is not hi-jacked!!

It looks like Juniors may be a very interesting season especially if Charlotte and Josh stay there, they looked fantastic last year.

3. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Yay for British ice dance :cheer:

I will be extremely shocked if Sinead and John retire. :p

We need some more male ice dancers! :( Too many good ladies are partnerless. I would have though JK switching and doing so well might have encouraged a few more people! I know Mark switched to dance as well, and he is extremely talented IMO.

4. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

One more thing, I can't wait to see how Annika and Henry progress, and Hannah & Daniel Linden too! :D

5. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see any progress with Louise/Owen. I saw them live at one of the JGPs last season, and they were really charming.

6. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

:confused: I think you might mean a different team or a different event - Louise and Owen haven't competed in Juniors for a few years (and never together!)

7. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

You may be right! I confused them with Aiken and partner! Sorry!

8. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Oh ok! I can't wait to see Charlotte and Josh - I've seen them skate separately but never together :(

9. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

I think these two have such a lot of potential. Joan Slater's aren't they?

10. Starshine6

Starshine6 New Member

Me too. You are right about them being coached by Joan. They both train at Deeside. In fact Charlotte and Josh recently took part in the Ice Skate Wales Gala at Deeside Ice Rink and I heard good reports about their performance.

In Seniors meanwhile.. Penny and Nick have a new website and they talk about their early pre-season training in their journal entry on the site.
    http://pennyandnick.ice-dance.com/

11. Imperfect Edge

I wonder what criteria will be used for the IJS event after the solo dance - is this to be an extra IJS effectively? Or instead of the normal Sheffield IJS?

12. skatefan

It appears to be an extra IJS event for couples only as there is still an IJS event in Sheffield at the end of August/early September. The info on the NISA website states junior and senior couples will use 09/10 criteria, but novices will use 2010/11 criteria.

13. Imperfect Edge

Oh right, I imagine that will put off a lot of Junior and Seniors from competing, as I expect they are all working on next years programs etc now if they are planning to compete. But then it would be very early for them to have the new programs ready, so we'll see, I live in hope of an interesting competition.

14. skatefan

I think that using the 09/10 criteria (which was used for Lee Valley IJS so they don't need to learn anything new) is because of the proposed changes for Juniors and Seniors from CD+OD to the new Pattern Dance next season. I did read somewhere on the website that it will allow couples to pass tests using dances they already have.

15. penybrec

penybrec New Member

Looking forward to the new round of IJS. It will be interesting to see how the couples have interpreted the new dance patterns and music rules. Am hoping for a bit of life and fun especially in the FD

16. SouthSkate

SouthSkate New Member

Hi,

Im new on here so i don't really know how this all works but i wondered if anyone could confirm or deny something i heard at the rink last weekend.

Is it true that Chitwood/Hanretty have called it a day?

To be honest, it wasn't the first time i have heard this news, and i wondered if anyone in the FSU community had heard anything about it?

17. skatefan

I did hear this a month or so ago, but hoped that it wasn't true - or that they would change their minds. As far as I know there is no 'official' confirmation so maybe they will simply have a break for a while, go on holiday, recharge the batteries so to speak and come back refreshed for the new season. I hope so anyway.

18. Starshine6

Starshine6 New Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  19. SouthSkate

SouthSkate New Member

Oh well that sounds quite promising.

Although, after Mark's engagement, it wouldn't be suprising if they wanted to settle down now. Sounds like we'll have to wait and see...

20. Imperfect Edge

That would be a real shame ... was/am looking forward to another battle for second (or 1st?) place. They are so young too although would be understandable if they did decide that. Fingers x'd they keep going.

21. icekoolmum

icekoolmum New Member

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

23. Imperfect Edge

If Sinead and John dont continue, and no new partnerships are formed, it could be a 3 couple event at the British 2010/11. And that assumes Beverley Carstairs/Mathieu qualify which I assume they havent previously. Numbers in British dance are certainly dwindling ... :-(

24. SouthSkate

SouthSkate New Member

I hadn't thought about that! Coomes/Buckland and Walden/Edwards would go to Europeans and Worlds.

Let's home Ker/Kerr carry on aye!

Unless Joah and Charlotte do Seniors.

25. Imperfect Edge

Yea Josh and Charlotte moving up isnt out the question, but I think unlikely, expect they would like to go to Junior Worlds and improve on last years performance ... whether they could also go to Euros too maybe I dont know. Compete at both levels ... although I think they have to skate Junior at the British to be eligible for Junior Worlds.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Thanks to the admin. who added "Pairs" to this thread title! :) Reposting the following:

27. Imperfect Edge

Sally doesnt seem to be having much luck in recent years does she, hopefully the rest of the season goes better for them.

Any new pairs on the horizon? James & Catherine at Juniors have a new rink to contend with (Romford) as Chelmsford is closed for refurbishment.

28. Imperfect Edge

An entry list has been posted for the couples section at the solo dance final, only one couple from Lee Valley has entered, but some new couples to mention:

Novice Entries: Olivia Clarke/Jordan Brown (Bracknell), Hazel Duckworth/Mathew Barlow (Blackburn/Altrincham), Charlotte Dyson/Ryan Sharp (Ice Sheffield).

Junior Entries: Amber Crisp/Toby Wallis (Streatham), and Helen Wray/Jack Finerty (Slough).

Not all couples have entered all sections but gives us some idea as to who will be competing and at what level this season. Entry numbers are low. Slight surprise to see Hazel/Mathew entering novice level due to (his) previous success at this level but perhaps they are treating it as a warm up event. Charlotte Dyson/RYan Sharp both were pretty succesful in solo dance events so will be interesting to see how they perform.

29. icekoolmum

icekoolmum New Member

"Slight surprise to see Hazel/Mathew entering novice level due to (his) previous success at this level but perhaps they are treating it as a warm up event."

yes this is a little surprising especially as they are only doing the CD, if it is a warm up it seems a bit unnecessary if they intend to do junior given there is no longer a CD and it would be different anyway. Could it be something to do with tests? or maybe Hazel hasn't got the level 9 now necessary for Junior? or maybe they are going to do novice, like Josh/Gabriella did last year where Josh had already competed twice in Junior.

30. Imperfect Edge

Im sure they have their reasons. Personally I wouldnt want to be a guinea pig for this new CD/Od 'Short Dance' or whatever it is being called now. If I had the choice would skate at novice rather than Junior.

Am also wondering if the couples from Lee Valley (Laura Kerr/Paul Dredge, Hannah/Daniel Linden, Philippa Betts-Dawson/Stephen Moore, Felicity Juckes/Joe Smith) will be competing later in the season, as limited oppotunities to compete is a slight surprise they have not entered the Solo Dance/Couples event but then it is strange timing for an IJS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.