British Eurosport NOT showing Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by PashaFan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

During the coverage of the New Years Eve Gala in Oberstdorf last night on British Eurosport Simon Reed said that British Eurosport would not be showing any of the Winter Olympics.
    Did I hear this right ?.
    Why is British Eurosport so poor compared to the other European Eurosports ?.
    Figure skating regularly gets bumped for Tennis, Football & Snooker while other Eurosport channels show events live & in full.
    I have never know Eurosport to not cover an Olympic Games.
    Anyone have any info on this ?.
    What are British Eurosports plans for Sochi ?.
    Do we have to rely purely on the BBC come February ?.

2. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

OMG I hope not :( Sue Barker's skating commentary :scream:
    They could even have Clare Balding doing it she does everything else :eek:
    Eurosport not showing any olympics that will be strange .I did notice that there didn't seem to be any mention of the olympics considering it's so near now so maybe it's true bit I really hope not.:(
    Olympic dance without Chris/Nicky /Simon :wuzrobbed

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Eurosport probably didn't purchase the rights for the Winter Olympics.

If London 2012 is anything to go by, the whole event will be streamed both live and on-demand on http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/ in all countries which belong to the EBU.

LET'S PRAY THAT THIS IS GOING TO BE THE CASE. *hopeful*

Failing that, tvteka.com is an option for $12.

4. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Yes, it seems that Eurosport France won't show it either. That's really bad for skating. Hopefully Ziggy's right and we'll be able to see everything

5. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Worst skating news I've heard since Plushenko announced his return.

GUTTED.

Maybe Russia wouldn't sell the rights to eurosport because they're 'a bit gay'

:drama:

Online feeds are great for GPs but the Olympics?.... :fragile:

6. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

IS this a joke???

7. care bear

care bear Active Member

No. There were news about it in German "Pirouette" in summer.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics_on_television#2014_Winter_and_2016_Summer_Games
    IOC agrees European broadcast rights contract for 2014 and 2016 Olympic Games:
    http://www.olympic.org/content/news...hts-contract-for-2014-and-2016-olympic-games/
    List of 2014 Winter Olympics broadcasters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014_Winter_Olympics_broadcasters
    Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics: BBC to show 200 hours of action
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25213838

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Worst tv news ever.
    Maybe Eurosport could not face showing an event without snooker in it !.
    I hope the BBC show all the skating on one of their live streams.
    I think they will have six extra channels for Sochi.
    Eurosport have really dropped the ball not getting the Olympics. They have had it for as long as I can remember.
    Europeans will most likely get to see it in their own country from their main tv network.
    Let's face it though, Eurosport have ruined several figure skating events at the Olympics by going to the other sports at crucial times or starting late because of medal ceremonies. I remember the pairs event in Vancouver being ripped apart by them.

10. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I think this means we're not going to get the EBU feeds either. :(

11. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

So what are all the "Road to Sochi" flashes before every Figure Skating broadcast for when that event won't be shown? :eek:

12. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I know !. They do that with the Football World Cup too. But they don't have the rights to it.
    The Olympics used to be the jewel in the Eurosport crown. I'm so sad that it's not on Eurosport.
    And then they have the cheek to only show a few things from the Europeans & Worlds yet the international Eurosports get full & live coverage.
    PLEASE do as I do & email or write to British Eurosport to complain.
    Remember how bad their coverage of the Europeans was in 2013 ?.
    They joined the Ice Dance free with only three couples left & the Gold medal winners had already skated then they joined the Ladies free when Kostner had already started. And what were they showing while live skating was going on ?, snowboarding !.
    And no coverage of ANY short programs. It was the worst coverage of the Europeans ever.
    I don't know who directs the events on Eurosport but I'm thinking it's a person who does not like any sport other than snooker.

13. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

British Eurosport phone number-0208 8181499
    I'm going to complain to ask why we on British Eurosport get much worse coverage of figure skating than in Europe.

14. Marta24

Marta24 Member

Does that mean that the Olympics aren't shown on any Eurosport Channel? Or only British Eurosport? I was so looking forward to watch Figure Skating with the commentary of Siggi Heinrich and Hendryk Schamberger. :wuzrobbed:(

15. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

16. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Is it another case of a private broadcast consortium outbidding a public broadcaster? If so, public broadcasters just no longer have the money to compete. Look at what's happened to professional hockey in Canada - a massive amount of money stole the broadcasting rights from the Canadian Broadcasting Company.

17. allezfred

The BBC is a public broadcaster though. I think it's more a case of the IOC being greedy and very shortsighted.

18. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

IOC greedy....................NEVER(!).
    As usual the fans of sport are placed way behind the sponsors & tv networks. I can honestly see most big tv events going from normal channels.

19. allezfred

Under an EU directive, EU governments have the right to designate certain sporting events as being of such national importance that they have to be broadcast on a free-to-air basis. Both Ireland and the UK have such lists of events and the Olympics is one of these in the UK. So unless the UK government decides that the Olympics (both summer and winter) are not of national importance, the rights to them cannot be sold to a subscription channel such as Sky.

20. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

You know how much the tories love money......................................

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

*slashes his wrists*

Ok, so we are completely screwed and TVTeka it will have to be. :(

I hope they are going to show full skating coverage, at least, given how relatively popular figure skating is in Russia.

22. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Well it look's like it's going to be the BBC red button for me Sue and Robin :D Now the BBC TV Licence will be well spent :D

23. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Well it look's like it's going to be the BBC red button for me Sue and Robin :D Now the BBC TV Licence will be well spent :D

I would love Chris/Jayne to do commentary but they will be busy with DOI .Or even Marika Humphrey's or Sinead and John people who know about dance .Not Joanne Conway though .

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This is an odd situation, i.e., no Eurosports for the 2014 Winter Games and the possibility of a lot of skaters being chacked in Europe....versus the USA (possibly) getting to see every single skater live, as the competition occurs. Hell must be freezing over.

25. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Well, all I can say is that LTV7 - the latvian channel with red '7' logo, which many people watched Europeans and Worlds 2013 - will most likely broadcast ALL the figure skating.

26. GREGORY

GREGORY Active Member

Horrible news. I'll have to endure Candeloro's stupids comments, Annick Dumont's lack of objectivity and her total ignorance in ice dancing, and resign myself to not hear the music of the skaters because they speak with the france television's journalist so much during the permomances.

PS : It seems that france television will show on its web site all competition in live stream without comments.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  27. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

Well, so far it seems they won't be showing much of Europeans, either.
    We need a European ice channel.

28. poths

poths Well-Known Member

I don't have the red button and NBC are notorious for only showing the final groups. Fred, you'll have to come up with some sort of plan....:drama:

29. viennaskater

viennaskater New Member

I was wondering why there seemed no events on the schedule - now I know I am not going mad!

Unbelievable that Eurosport are not showing it!

It was bad enough them not showing all the events of the European Championships. As usual everything gets pushed aside for tennis and snooker :(

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Actually, my impression from this thread is that they weren't able to buy the rights due to the change from EBU having the European rights to Sportfive, who sold them to each country individually. It has nothing to do with the importance of snooker (which is evil, I agree).

Blame the IOC for picking Sportfive's "passion" and "commitment" (can't they just tell the truth and say that they offered more money?).