Brian Joubert returns to Véronique Guyon

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Madmarch, Sep 1, 2010.

1. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

his aim at this comp., according to his coach, was to get the sensation and motivation back, not the result.
    Brian said he did not do the required number of revolution because of that, he did not want to.

2. Ninchen

Ninchen Active Member

I love the SP!!!! :cool:

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Big improvement, as far as SP goes.

Quite detailed choreo compared to what he had in the past and it's very much in his "manly" style, he is carrying it off well. :)

Watching FS now and why did he go to Wilson?

Back to the same crap. Stroking three times around the rink into first three jumping passes, etc.

Zzzzzzz...

And his moves seem awkward, he's not made for classical music! He needs something "big."

Awful awful empty program.

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I do give Brian credit for trying something new. I hope that both programs gel as the season progresses. I tried not to think of either Lambiel or Dai while watching his sp...and I really didn't see much joy in the lp until the last minute. I wish him well as I have always had a soft spot for him. At least there didn't seem to be too much channeling of Yagudin..

I loved the Matrix. I saw him perform it at a Cheesefest in 04 in Providence...where he should, IMO, won over Plushenko.

I kind of like the young Brian....liked this program and a regular costume..Heck he even did a spread eagle and a shaky spiral..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSVzer72xqw

5. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I totally love his free program!
    I am so surprised with it and am really enjoying it!

6. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

When I heard of Joubert's SP theme, I was really not holding my breath and even shrudding in advance. And I was extremely wrong. Even on a video I find it totally :swoon: material, I'm impressed by how expressive he can be (at last !!) and how mature his skating now looks. Way to go Brian, you never cease to amaze me (ok sometimes not in the right way lol, but not THIS time). To me it's, by far, the best SP he's ever had.

7. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Thanks for the sp link! Wonderful programme and music, but where are the transitions??? He must add them to get higher scores... Or is Joubert counting on to get from judges top scores for non-existing transitions?

8. elanor

elanor New Member

I actually pretty much like his SP. It's not great but good enough and the right choice of music and choreo for his ability. It doesn't look difficult so he should handle it fine. I wonder what he will get for these steps. Of course, he doesn't need to worry about transitions, he's like Plushenko in this department which always annoys me but that's how it works.

LP program, on the contrary, feels very awkward. The music is divine but it shows even more his weaknesses. Like slow spins when they need to be fast and not the best lines and positions and he skates through it. He would do better with no classical music. David Wilson often uses movie soundtracks, why not give him something like Mask of Zorro or Pirates or even less known tracks.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well he's not really managing to be in-time with the music so far. ;P

He's not that off but he's struggling with it.

10. mia joy

mia joy New Member

very well said, manly indeed (thankfully, I'm fed up with girly male skaters :p), I like it. I still feel weird seing him in this kind of program, but it's enjoyable and the guy is trying his best, which works good :)

Agreed on the zzzz part, on the classical music and on the "sth big". But considering his first three jumping passes are probably a quad-triple combination, a 3a and yet another quad, I'm not surprised they're not following any difficult transitions or steps. You cannot have too much of choreo when a skater is trying to concentrate before this kind of jumps.

11. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Brian's SP is awesome!

:cheer:

12. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Don't worry, after Brian listens to the Inception original soundtrack he'll change his LP a month before worlds ;)

I think Mens is shaping-up to be the most interesting of the disciplines for me this year, Joubie's efforts in the new SP are great.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

mia joy - Yes I understand that if your first free jumps are 4t/3t, 3a and 4s, there is not exactly room for lots of choreography or transitions.

But there's still things you can do. Stroking to the beat, little touches like head/arm/back movements, etc. So that it looks better than just crossovers/progressives into the jumps.

That total lack of attention to detail is what pisses me off most with Joubert. Because he pretty much has everything else - the skating skills, the speed and even his posture is quite decent.

And in the SP, Najarro made him pay more attention to detail and put a lot of choreography in the program. Even before and in-between preparations for the big jumps.

I guess with the FS, stamina is much more of an issue, so Joubert is keeping it much simpler.

Or it's just David Wilson's choreo being dull and lackluster. ;)

Or maybe the choreo was much richer originally but Brian took most of it out already. ;)

Oh well, I have to say I am somewhat dissapointed.

I can see progress with the SP (even if the program doesn't look ready yet and the fact Brian is struggling to keep up with the music might mean a lot of the choreo goes out before Euros :/) but the FS looks very much "same old, same old."

Of course, it was his first competition, both programs might look much better a few months down the line (unless he takes all the choreo out ;D).

14. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Watching this program, it is impressive how Brian doesn't let mistakes throw him off. He just keeps going where he left off. The program seemed very confident, athletic and masculine. In a major competition, a short like this says, "You can give me the gold now, or you can give it to me later." There were a few unusual spins.

15. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I finally had the chance to watch both programs, and I actually quite like both of them.

My take on the LP is that it just doesn't have enough miles on it yet. I'm thinking and hoping that, with time and practice, it's just going to keep getting better and better. On top of that, the video seemed a little fast to me, so I'm also wondering if maybe it looked better and seemed more finished in person.

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have only seen the SP but I was pleased that he didn't do the previous type of cheap gimmicky crap he has done in the past. It did have a theme and he stuck to it. There was a bit too much choreography done standing on the spot, but I really liked his circular steps - some very nice edges shown there. I agree with PB that he didn't let mistakes get in the way of an overall good performance.

17. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

There's not much music that's "bigger" than Beethoven's Ninth.

18. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the video Nmsis :) Ole! Allez Brian :cheer:

19. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

BRAVO BRIAN! :cheer2: I'm impressed that he's finally addressing his weaknesses and making an attempt to include transitions in his programs. I love his music choices and his new style of movement. I think these are the best programs he's ever had and I'm cheering for him this season! I'm very interested to see how he progresses as the season goes on. :encore:

20. ice.dance.girl

ice.dance.girl New Member

I just love him haha hope he's gonna do great next season!

21. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

WOW, Joubert's SP is awesome by his standards. Best program he's ever had IMO. Still far too much two-foot skating for my liking but for once he at least looks committed to the choreography and has some detail in a program.

22. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

From IceNetwork:

23. Florizel

Florizel New Member

Mozart-Modern (l'assasymphonie) seems to fit him. But i doubt Beethoven (or you) would grade that as 'bigger':D .

24. wingnut

wingnut New Member

SP is probably Joubert's best yet. He gets HUGE props from me for being willing to adapt and improve his musicality and artistry and not just expect the quad to win it for him.

FP still needs some work but it's a good start, especially compared to his FPs the last couple years. Hopefully he sticks with it and puts in the time and work to improve it and maximize his points. COMBOS! Get those double-toes and loops in there!

I wish him the best this coming season- he's a true competitor and it's great to see him bounce back after the disappointment the Olympics must have been (twice).

25. Squibble

Squibble New Member

:eek: :wideeyes: :eek:

Brian Joubert in a tasteful costume? With a spread eagle and a spiral?

:wideeyes: :eek: :wideeyes:

I'm suffering from cognitive dissonance. Experience tells us that what we see in that video isn't possible in the real world. I'm going to have to lie down. :shuffle:

26. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Definitely a great program compared to his past programs. But I agree with you. There was a lot of hand/arm choreography done while he was skating on two feet or standing in one place. But he actually looked like he was performing.
    It has nothing on Abbott's SP though.

27. ebayj

ebayj New Member

Love the short and the long has potential. After how many years of FSU fan whining (!?) it finally appears Brian has gotten out of his overused musical box.

28. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Is there a link to the LP somewhere in this thread? I can't seem to locate it...or maybe I'm just lazy xp

29. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

30. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Hmm, he definitely needs to get more into the music. I love Brian to death, but I was kind of bored until the straight-line sequence. It absolutely has potential though, and I like that he's trying something a little different.