Brian Boitano's Skating Spectacular

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Artemis@BC, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

In the Seattle area and up on this side of the border, it's scheduled to air on NBC (KING) on Sun Dec 26th, 1:00-3:00 pm. Check your local listings.

Cast to include Michael Weiss, Yuka Sato, Kimmie Meissner, Alissa Czisny, Steven Cousins, Elena Leonova and Andrei Khvalko, and Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon — skating to live music by Chicago

2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

That has to be a repeat.

Brian was on the Today Show this morning skating on the Rock Centre rink and promoting this year's show with musical guests "Heart".

3. skaters04

skaters04 Active Member

It is actually the time/date for the broadcast of this year's show, which does have the musical guest Heart. I would guess the broadcast time is correct, but the show info is incorrect. This year's show had Brian, Michael Weiss, Steven Cousins, Ryan Bradley, Yuka Sato, the Kerrs, Leonova & Khvalko and the hoop lady (Irina Grigorian) and her husband, the juggler guy (Mikhail somebody-or-another). So, my guess is if you tune in on Sunday in Seattle, those are the folks you'll see.

4. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Bump! Airs today, don't forget :) Perfect way to spend a snow day (for some of us!)

5. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Starts at 4:00 PM in the Boston area.

eta: A weather special is on now. Hopefully skating will start soon.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Skating is on here and so far it's not a bad show. Ryan Bradley and Steven Cousins did a number together wearing black leather pants which is definitely not a bad way to start a show. :swoon:

7. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

We can't get a break in Boston! This was finally going to be a BBSS not delayed by late outdoor hockey coverage. Now, snow reports! At least Brian's solos weren't interrupted (except by snow cancellation crawls at the bottom of the screen!)

Melt from my rooftop quick quick quick,
    I hate snow it makes me sick!

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Same thing happened here in Philly, PA! :( :eek:

9. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

I was reading the newspaper and saw a little blurb for the show. By that time, there was only half an hour left. :wuzrobbed :lol: I'm bummed that I missed most of the performances. Can anyone remember which Heart songs were skated to? When I turned on the tube, Michael Weiss was skating to "Alone." I'd love to see somebody skate to "Black on Black II," and he seems the obvious pick for that as well.

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

This was a fantastic show! One of the first Disson shows I've watched all the way through. Maybe it was because the music wasn't bad, so I didn't mind the cuts to the performers nearly as much (I had no idea the same band played all those songs... though I knew many of them...)

The adagio pair with the cube things were kind of weird- and I expected cooler tricks, but then the other pair was AMAZING. Their headbanger was SCARY she was so close to the ice- impressive. I wanted to see a really good one handed detroiter- and they didn't do it- but then they did the other one handed spinning lifts instead that were even crazier. WOW- teams like this make me wonder why more pairs teams aren't asked to come to shows...their tricks are amazing (and made me miss professional competitions).

All the other routines were good too- I was excited that the Kerrs were there, and did a number that had actual in-hold ice dancing (muted Ke$ha, as I can't stand her, and then it was enjoyable). Ryan Bradley was fantastic, and so was everyone else. Brian Boitano did his red chair number, which made me nostalgic again, and in his other numbers he was jumping- I had thought he had mostly stopped due to bad knees.

Truly a great show.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Sad that the goddesses of Heart had to drastically slow down their music so that young'ins a third their ages could skate to it.

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  13. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

The current issue of Blades on Ice magazine has a great article about Brian. In it he goes into considerable detail about his knee problems. We are so fortunate that he had the dedication and love of the sport to choose not to retire. I noticed at the end of the show he said "See you next year!"

14. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

15. neptune

Thanks, paskatefan. I suppose I can wait a couple of months. :)

Please don't tell me that they turned "Barracuda" into a tearjerker ballad. ;)

16. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

It was hardly the same rocking wonder that has caused many a speeding ticket by drivers who were listening to it at the time.

I was also disappointed that they did a ballard-style version of Alone for Michael Weiss. If any of that cast could have rocked that one, it would have been him. Glad that Boitano skated to Crazy On You at full-strength, though.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It wasn't THAT slow though- it was like playing Guitar Hero on "easy".

Since they are illegal elements you won't see them at all! Glad to see the general public was impressed too

18. neptune

I have difficulty picturing that. Must have been a sight to behold. :)

19. roxynova

roxynova New Member

For those who missed the show (or if you are going through skating withdrawal and want to watch again) - BB's SS airs tomorrow, 3/1, at 6pm on Hallmark Channel.

20. roxynova

roxynova New Member

Just an FYI, the re-air for 3/1 is still at 6pm but now can be seen on the Hallmark Movie Channel - check your local listings (tv guide might not reflect this change, but hallmarkchannel just tweeted the programming note).

21. neptune

The special is being re-aired for a final time at 4 a.m. - 6 a.m. tomorrow morning (March 7) on Hallmark.