Brian Boitano's Mother, Donna, has passed away

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by snoopysnake, Feb 2, 2014.

1. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Donna Boitano passed away Wednesday at age 89. She had suffered from Alzheimer's disease. Brian's dad, Lew, had passed on in December, 2012.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/me...n=donna-jean-boitano&pid=169426761&fhid=24141

Prayers of comfort to Brian, his siblings, and their extended families. It is very evident from Brian's cookbook how much he loved his parents. I hope their survivors will continue to feel their legacy now that they are together again in Heaven.

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:(

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That's so sad. I remember Brian's coach, Linda Leaver, talking about how much she loved his parents, and how much she appreciated that they never interfered in her working relationship with Brian, even when other people were telling them that Brian "needed" a more big-name coach.

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Such sad, sad news...I hope wonderful memories of her will bring comfort to those who loved her. :(

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Awww... :(

6. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Horrible news, so sad for Brian and all who know and loved his mom. :(

7. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

Sorry to hear. It was evident how supportive his parents were to BB.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Poor Brian! It means he lost both parents within 2 years. I wonder if he is in the USA or Sochi right now? I hope he was by his mother's side in her final hours.

9. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Aww. My thoughts are with his family.

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

My condolences to Brian & family. So sad to lose both parents in such a short span of time.

11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Ah, thoughts and prayers for Brian and his family.

12. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Brian is probably nowhere near through grieving the death of his father, and now his mother. I've had something similar happen to me in recent years and it is excruciatingly
    painful. My condolences, Brian and family.

13. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

((((Brian))))

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As are mine.
    (((((Brian)))))

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

May she rest in peace. She raised a truly wonderful person.

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Sadly if his mother had advanced Alzheimer's he has probably been grieving over the losses for a long time. Such a dreadful disease.

My thoughts are with him.

17. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Oh, how sad, my condolences to Brian. :( Wishing him peace and strength through this loss. May the loving memories he shared with his family bring him comfort.

18. irinayunafanatc

irinayunafanatc Member

Very sad news. Condolences to Brian and his family. I wonder if he will withdraw from his Olympic venture now. It would be fully understandable if he did.

19. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

So sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to Brian and all of his family on the sad loss of his mom. :fragile:

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

What a difficult year for him, losing BOTH parents. . . hugs to him and his loved ones (does he have any sisters or brothers?).

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Praying for Brian.

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The obituary linked above mentions one brother and two sisters.

23. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Sad for Brian. :( wishing the Boitano family strength and peace...

Losing both parents in the space of a year must be very hard. But, given that she had Alzheimer's, there may also be small comfort knowing that her suffering is over. Working in long term care, I see daily how hard it is on everyone involved and many times families do see the end as a blessing.

24. sassybuford

sassybuford New Member

So, so sad for Brian. Brian and I are just a few months apart in age, and his parents were also born about the same time mine were. My parents died almost exactly a year apart (Dad in 2012, Mom in 2013, with her funeral on the first anniversary of his death), and yes, it is very tough to lose both parents in a short time like that. My heart goes out to Brian and his family.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I found out the sad news of Mrs. Boitano's passing on GF. My heart goes out to Brian and his loved ones in this difficult time. :(

26. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

My condolences to Brian.

27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to Brian, the Boitano Family and Friends. It was so obvious on the Oprah Where Are They Now piece just how much his Parents meant to him. So sorry to hear this news. :(

28. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

My sincere condolences go to Brian and his family. :(

29. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:(

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry for Brian's loss. My deepest condolences to Brian Boitano and his family.

It's such a difficult thing for all of us who reach a certain age and go through the experience of caring for our parents who suffer from physical illnesses related to aging, and/ or dementia (of which Alzheimer's disease is one variety). I recently saw on public television a beautiful documentary by Stone Phillips in tribute to his parents. His father is 92 and a WW II veteran who still has a sharp memory and is still fairly physically active. Stone's mother (88) has such a delightful personality and her ongoing love affair with her husband, and her love of life is so wonderful to see. However, over the course of the documentary we also witness Stone's mother experiencing late-onset dementia (Alzheimer's). Nonetheless, it is an uplifting, joyful, courageous, and poignant passage (albeit heartbreaking as well).

My mother suffers from vascular dementia (mostly at this point characterized by short-term memory loss). And, unfortunately my mother's well-being has been complicated by hip surgeries and by arthritis in her back, knees and shoulder. Fortunately, my mother still knows who we are and she communicates well with us. But her memory deficits cause her to mainly remember earlier times in her life, and she can barely believe how old her children are! We are lucky to still have her with us, and we cherish every moment.

I just saw on the Internet that Billie Jean King's mother is very ill, and thus Billie is not going to be present in Sochi for the opening ceremonies. My heart goes out to Billie, her mother and her famiy at this difficult time.

And, again to Brian and his family, my sympathies. I hope that Brian is comforted by the wonderful memories of both his parents' love and the many good times they shared with him, and by the knowledge that they are at peace.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014