Brezina makes a coaching change

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ladida, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Ladida

Ladida Member

According to his official website he is going to train with Viktor Petrenko. Does anyone know more about it?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I certainly didn't see that coming, and am somewhat surprised. I know he had a disappointing final result at Worlds this year, but his skating overall seems to have been progressing. I'll miss those funky red glasses in the K&C.

ETA: I wonder how the English version of his website is being produced. Unless Czechs have a tendency to be particularly frank, this bit of the announcement certainly seems odd:

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Very odd.

5. bek

bek Guest

I don't know if its that surprising, isn't he dating an American? So he gets to be closer to his girlfriend, and i really do think he needs a change. His skating is progressing but his results aren't necessarily.

6. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I only speak very basic Czech, but I did not see any "old man" reference in the Czech version. :lol:

Interesting move for Brezina - he's clearly very talented, so I hope it pays off for him in consistency.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Is there perhaps a younger Karl Fajfr, and the intent was to reference "the elder," which then was poorly translated into English as "old man"?

8. Pavla2304

Pavla2304 Active Member

I am from the Czech rep. Originally it says: Michal ended "up to now/standing" cooperation with Peter Starec and K.Fajfer. Nothing about old man:p

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Elsewhere on the English language portions of www.michalbrezina.com:

:watch:

10. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Sounds like an FSU rep level!

Wyliefan likes this.
  11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

It is not translated properly. In the Czech version is: "Michal ukončil dosavadní spolupráci s trenéry P.Starcem a K.Fajfrem." Which means: "Michael ended his cooperation with coaches Peter Starec and Karl Fajfr". The 'old man' is translation of Mr 'Starec'. It is not a good idea to translate surnames!

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

He did have an American girlfriend, but I don't know if they are still together.

I don't find this all that surprising; I don't think Brezina has been making much progress at all. He's been doing well for several years but can't quite break through (winning a crappy Skate America with a crappy free skate doesn't count). His main issue - surviving the LP - has not been addressed. I don't know if Petrenko is the right choice for him, but changing things might not be such a bad idea.

13. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I too will miss those crazy red glasses, but good luck to Brezina!

14. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

gahhhh....I hope Nina Petrenko doesn't get the job of choreographing for him. Please Petrenko gang, do not swamp Brezina with lounge lizard music. :scream:

15. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

He was dating Allison Reed as of not too long ago. Not sure if/where she trains out of.

Good for him for making the switch to improve. I'm guessing he wants to train in a more competitive environment and develop his style...?
    In an interview a few months ago he said he was somewhat bound to home for school reasons but now he's done so his training options are open. He didn't say it in a way that signaled a big move like this, though.

For a scrawny little guy he gets freaky height on his jumps. I look forward to seeing him develop.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I also have a feeling that he was improving, yet not improving.

His skating was getting better but the consistency/stamina issues remained and everything could use a bit more polish.

Potential is definitely there. Hopefully this change works out for him.

I agree but her "choreography" is even more of an issue than the dreary music. :scream:

17. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Second office :rofl: of the day, courtesy of FSU.

18. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Let's hope he does better with Viktor then Johhny did... :(

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If Johnny actually focused on his skating instead of on being a Z-list celebrity, he probably could have done very well. :p

20. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I wonder if a coaching change will help, as I´d suppose the problem is between his ears... At least he is trying to improve and that is something.

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

My exact thoughts!!!!! I would like to know his reasoning in choosing Victor.

Is Johnny training with Victor now?

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Which begs the question: Is he working with a sport psychologist?

23. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

so unexpected
    but good luck, Brezina has improved already
    hope he transitions continually

24. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I hope he doesn't start skating empty programs like Weir did.

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think this is a smart move. Michal needs consistency mostly, and the European style of training is not known for doing lots of run-throughs. So, I think coming to the US should help with that. I also think he could benefit from more strength and stamina, he always looks tired at the end of his programs and that's usually when he makes mistakes, plus he is very skinny, which idk if that helps make his jumps so good or not. I'd like to see him with better programs, his free programs for both this season and the last season were generic and below his potential. He deserves better. Hope this works out for him.

26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I love Brezina, but his programs could hardly be emptier.

27. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Yeah but does Viktor trains his skaters in that same European style or is he completely Americanize as far as a coach goes?

I'm not too confident but it is his choice and good luck to him, hope it works out :)

28. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This word. He needs transitions, costumes without silly vests, and better music choices! The weakness of his programs the past few seasons are likely the main reason he hasn't medaled at Worlds yet, moreso than his skating. I knew after the SP this year that Michal wouldn't hold on for a medal, because even at his best, that Untouchables program would be hard pressed to exceed 160.

29. psycho

psycho New Member

First of all, Johnny was always trained by Zmievskaya, not Viktor. At best, he was always an assistant coach for him.

Second, of course you're right, if finally winning a world medal, a couple more grand prix events, medalling at consequtive GPFs, making an Olympic team in one of the toughest fields and putting out great skates at the Olympics is what Michal has to look forward to, then he might as well turn around a go home now. :rolleyes:

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The SP he used for the last two seasons is a very good program.

Yes, his frees could stand out more but they're at the level of many of his rivals.

I would guess that the reason why the choreography isn't more complex in his frees is that he really struggles with consistency/stamina/both as it is.

The reason might be mental, it might be to do with training. We don't know.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012