Breast feeding doll? Creepy or progressive?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by made_in_canada, Nov 16, 2012.

1. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I really don't have a problem with girls that age being aware of breast feeding. But it's a good point that it's a completely adult act with adult parts and to encourage an adult act might be crossing a line.

The customer was just interested in our opinion. She didn't really offer her opinion. We are pretty careful about the kinds of toys we carry so I think she'd figure we'd be a more objective opinion.

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Maybe she was checking out whether or not it would be something you'd carry? A secret seller? :sekret:

3. Ania

Ania Active Member

4. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

You think this doll will help with that? Will it have trouble latching? Will it cause sore nipples? Will it go through teething? :rofl:

Maybe you don't like the accusations of "creepy," fine. I don't think creepy is the right description either. But trying to argue that this doll will help women avoid "pitfalls" related to breast feeding? Now that is funny!

5. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything creepy about the doll. *shrugs* Hey we've got dolls that make war (G.I.Joe), dolls with unrealistic figures (Barbie, Bratz, etc), dolls that cry and eat and wet.... I don't see the big deal. If you don't like the concept, don't buy it.

But then I also don't see the need for pastel colored girly "engineering" toys either. Legos and Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets aren't gender-specific.

Jodi and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I lurved me some Tinker Toys when I was a little Southpawette.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

lurved me some Lincoln Logs (original recipe with the actual wood logs full of potential splinters!), Tinkertoys and my brother's racecars when I was a kid :)

8. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I can't find regular ol legos anywhere. All the packs I find are Star Wars, Halo, Harry Potter crap. I LOVED lego as a kid.

9. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I don't think it is creepy, but I think it is kind of stupid. Little girls (and sometimes boys) can pretend to breastfeed with a regular doll, this isn't really teaching them anything. And seriously? $89? :wall:

I loved the original Lincoln logs and legos when I was a kid.

10. milanessa

Have you tried lego.com? They have a basic brick set but, you're right, most of their stuff is specific to a particular project.

11. Twilight1

I haven't but I am going to now. lol!

12. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

If you just want plain legos you can buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ultimate...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1353096471&sr=1-1&keywords=lego

They come in a few different sizes, and there is a pink box for girls (if they insist on pink, as mine did ;)).

We also have the Creationary game, which is like Pictionary but with legos. That is a fun way to get kids to be creative in their building.

I find that Blokus is a good game for working on spatial ability. Plus it is fun for all ages.

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I didn't say the doll would help. I didn't actually give my opinion of the doll at all. I am commenting on all the people comparing breastfeeding to having sex and saying that little girls don't need to learn to breastfeed when there is plenty of evidence that they do.

Breasts are not an inherently sexual organ. Their only actual function is to feed babies. Therefore, there should be nothing creepy about a doll that is meant to be breastfed or a toy that mimics breastfeeding. It's no more creepy than a toy oven or toy car or any other toy that mimics adult activities. People only are reacting this way because they've been raised in a society that has decided to sexualize breasts and don't have the self-awareness to realize that's where their reaction is coming from.

14. Twilight1

There is no evidence stating little girls need to learn breastfeeding. When they are older and expecting a baby, having someone counsel them would help.. But I am sorry no pre-menstrual child needs to learn that.

An age appropriate discussion could be had if required...just like age appropriate sex talks can occur when required. Or a little girl can pretend to breastfeed with their doll as stated above

15. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Is there evidence that little girls need to learn to breast feed? Or is there evidence that some mothers need help learning to breast feed? There's a huge difference, IMO. Little girls do not need to learn to breast feed. Mothers, with real breasts, and real babies, may need help; little girls without breasts or babies, have no reason to learn.

16. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

This doll is beyond creepy. But I'm sure the breastfeeding nazis at the La Leche League are thrilled with it! :scream:

triple_toe and (deleted member) like this.
  17. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

My daughter played store. She would be the cashier or shopper. She was 2 or 3. She had no job or money or car and couldn't count change correctly. Does this mean she shouldn't have been able to play store?

She also loved to play doctor. She had a stethoscope, box of bandaids, gauze, toy thermometer, and blood pressure cuff. She was a preschooler and had no license to be a doctor. Does this mean she had no reason to play doctor?

Playing mommy, in some houses means using a pretend bottle. In others the child holds the doll and pretends the baby is nursing. In my house she pretended to nurse and used a bottle (the kind where the liquid looks like it disappears). There is nothing about sex in that, nothing dirty that needs to be behind closed doors. They are all natural ways to parent and children mimic important people in their lives. It is part of socializing.

I am thinking for many who are horrified by a doll (it does not suck, it makes a sucking noise) that mimics breastfeeding by sound triggered by a vest with flowers on it, that having a breastfeeding doll as a child may have helped them deal with a woman's body being used for something other than sex.

18. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

19. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Coming from our resident "attachment parenting" practitioner, why am I not surprised by this comment?

But hey, to each their own.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. milanessa

I don't think a lot of people are horrified - it just seems silly. C'est la vie.

21. Twilight1

TheGirlCanSkate- my boobs are more than just for sex. They fed 2 babies till they were 9 months and I went anywhere and everywhere with them as babies and had breastfed wherever.

They are also great food catching tools when I am eating, they assist in remote control placement, great place to hide money and fat that allows me to keep warmer in the winter.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  22. TheGirlCanSkate

I thought it was a little for the young side, but my daughter looked and said she thought it looked really fun. She is going to think of another toy using "simple machines" for her science project this year. Kickstarter IS awesome!

Maybe they should have a Sotomayor doll as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EHICz5MYxNQ

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

GIANT Tinker Toys. Even if I never managed to actually make a functional Ferris Wheel, which was why I wanted them because I saw it in some movie or other...

24. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

There's a difference between this and MacMadame saying that there's evidence that little girls NEED to learn to breast feed. They don't. Mothers may WANT to learn to breast feed, once they're adults and capable of deciding for themselves, and have breasts with milk and a also a baby, but even mothers don't NEED to learn to breast feed. Some mothers choose not to breast feed, and some mother choose to, and don't need any teaching at all. Just like your daughter isn't going to be a good doctor, or shop keeper, because she role played, these girls won't be better breast feeders because they had this completely unrealistic doll. This doll is supposedly a teaching tool, not just a toy. Your child was role playing for fun, not because you were teaching her to be a doctor or shop keeper.

According to the website the doll is for ages 2 years and up and it does "suckle and swallow". Again, I don't think there's anything dirty about breast feeding, but if this doll is to teach, why not give them a realistic scenario with an actual fake breast? It sounds like they are very pro breast feeding, but not pro breasts, which doesn't make sense to me. Why not teach the girls to learn to breast feed like it's really done, covering the breast in public? Maybe it's because they think there's something sexual about breasts, so they feel the need to give a flowery top instead?

Their aim, through this doll, is to let "young girls express their love and affection in the most natural way possible, just like mommy" - how ridiculous! Mothers and their children (hopefully) have a special and unique bond, just like husbands and wives. Mummy and daddy also "express their love and affection in the most natural way possible", but I don't see any dolls created to help teach young children about that. Little girls are not mothers, they can not "share in the wonder and magic of motherhood", they can share in the wonder and magic of being part of a family, which has a baby mummy chooses to breast feed. Saying young girls (ages two and up!) need to learn to breast feed is completely wrong IMO.

25. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Yeah, I never had enough of them to make anything REALLY cool. Just like I never had enough Lincoln Logs to make a McCabin. Lousy rotten childhood...

26. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Grotesque, creepy, and weird :yikes:

I can't believe anyone would argue that this would have any impact on how women breast feed later in life. This has about as much resemblance to the real thing as driving a car does to playing with hot wheels.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. TheGirlCanSkate

Oddly, yesterday when I looked at the link I saw a photo of the girl and doll. NOT a video. This evening there is a video.

The child in the video was clearly uncomfortable. And I was uncomfortable seeing her discomfort as well as close ups of nipples (I don't see my own on close ups).

Breastfeed next to me on the bus - sure! - but I'm not staring at your nipples on zoom. Is that the commercial that will be on tv?

28. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I loved Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs and was envious of my brothers who got chemistry sets and microscopes for Christmas while I got a Barbie doll I had no interest in. While my sisters and girl cousins were playing house or pretending to be nurses or teachers, I used to play millionaire. My younger sister and cousins always wanted to play with me so I let them be my servants and got them to bring me snacks and stuff and do my chores. Can't believe they fell for that. :lol:

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  29. milanessa

That explains a great deal. (((Leftie)))

30. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of the argument. Breasts have a biological function and if I were a nursing mother I would be sick and tired of all the snickering and sexual innuendo every time someone mentions the word breast. But the fact remains that female breasts are prominently associated with sexual arousal in our culture, so yeah there is an ick factor in focusing on little girls' breasts for whatever reason.

Personally I don't think dolls teach children about good parenting. Most dolls end up headless and naked at the bottom of the toy box.

As to the people who think dolls are a limiting stereotype for girls my dolls were always actors in high drama involving kidnappings, bubonic plague, exotic trips, kings and queens and anything else I could dream up. I always felt sorry for the boys not having that outlet.

Flatfoote and (deleted member) like this.