Breast feeding doll? Creepy or progressive?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by made_in_canada, Nov 16, 2012.

1. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I work at a toy store and today we had a customer come in and asked us our opinion of this doll. On the one hand, I kind of think it's unnecessary because any kid that wants to pretend breast feed doesn't need a special doll to do it. And while it is sexualizing girls (in the truest sense of the word) I'm not convinced that having girls be aware of the capabilities of their adult bodies is really a bad thing. Barbies and Bratz bother me a whole lot more.

I was curious what other people thought from a variety of backgrounds.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Just UGH! Stupid idea. If a little girl needs/wants to know about breast feeding, let her see the real thing.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Creepy. But then I started getting weirded out when dolls starting actually 'eating' and...uh..voiding. And the robotic pets.

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Creepy.

From the website: "The Breast Milk Baby will revolutionize our nation’s attitudes to good infant health, while letting little girls share in the wonder and magic of motherhood. Shouldn’t they be ready for a healthy future?"

I just want to add "in the kitchen." :scream:

triple_toe and (deleted member) like this.
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the ad says "Little girls need to learn to breastfeed." i don't know that anyone young enough to want a doll should be learning to breastfeed unless she lives in a polygamous compound. then i would consider it vocational training.

6. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I'm more creeped out by the fact that the little girl looks remarkably like my granddaughter.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

In the first place, as you say, little girls don't need any such thing. In the second place, haven't women been learning to do that for millennia without The Breast Milk Baby?

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Apparently that's the reason listed under "Why do Little Girls Need to Learn to Breastfeed?" That's such logical evidence and support! :scream:

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I find it revolting, but even when I was a child the idea of baby dolls produced an incredible rage in me. the mere suggestion that I should like playing with pretend babies (or real ones) was soooooooo insulting, even when I was 5 :lol: this doll doesn't even pretend there's anything going on other than indoctrinating the next generation of mommies :lol:

10. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

I am anti any toy for very young children that has "bells and whistles". I usually removed the batteries from any toys (or let them die and not replace).

When my daughter pretended to breastfeed her dolls, she just held one to her chest and made drinking noises. I have no problem with breastfeeding or my daughter knowing about breastfeeding.

I managed to work full time and handled it just fine (with the aid of Medela). No commune involved.

11. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

I'm not sure I understand the actual application.....do little girls hold the doll up to their own chests to mimic breast feeding? Or does it come with some sort of fake boob as little girls don't have breasts?

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

How about we start running ads that encourage little boys to learn how to hold a doll and prepare them to be good fathers, too, instead of this unnecessary, weird stuff?

I had a Professor once comment on how the toys for little girls are mostly geared towards giving the impression that being a good mother might be the most important thing a girl will ever do, and how sad it was that none of the toys for little boys ever are designed to give the impression to boys that being a good father just might be equally as important in their lives. Two of the men in the class who had little boys went out and bought their boys dolls that night and sat and showed them how to hold the baby - together. That made me very happy.

13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Just an advertising gimmick, IMO. Wouldn't be surprised to find out it's funded by the La Leche League. I doubt it will be popular.

14. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I'm anti bells and whistles too.

Yeah, I was trying to overlook some of the language on the website. It's a little :yikes:

15. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    TAHbKA and (deleted member) like this.
  16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the doll comes with a "magic top" the little girl wears. there are flowers over the nipples. the baby sucks where the flowers are. not sure how it works.

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

oh, that's even grosser than I thought :scream:

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Creepy. Disgusting.

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Although some women had wet nurses. And then in modern times some women chose not to breast feed. A breastfeeding doll is a great way to manipulate girls into thinking breastfeeding is the only way to go at a very way. Not that I have anything against breastfeeding. A lot of women choose to do it anyway - the majority. I just don't want to take the opportunity to make that choice away from girls.

20. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I find this toy revolting.

21. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

As children at the age of having dolls? Should there be dolls to demonstrate how to have sex as well? How about dolls teaching children how to get themselves (or another, while we're at it) to climax?

Young girls wearing a fake breast - which is so realistic is has a flower over the nipple, which is actually just a flower attached to a halter top and nothing like an actual breast :rolleyes: - so they can learn how to breast feed is like giving a young boy a strap on penis (that doesn't look like a penis) and a doll with a vagina (maybe it could have a flower somewhere there) so they can learn how to have sex.

I have nothing against breast feeding, or not breast feeding, but I think this doll is disgusting and inappropriate. Mothers can share the "wonder and magic of motherhood", children are not mothers, they should enjoy the wonder and magic of being children.

What did the customer think?

22. Twilight1

I think that is exactly why I find the toy revolting. We can teach our kids (it is pretty straightforward) about breastfeeding we don't need to give them a doll.

Wow... some toys are truly scary.

23. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I find the toy stupid rather than creepy.

:rolleyes: a little over the top don't you think? We are talking about breast feeding here. Not something as personal and private as sex.

24. Twilight1

I personally find breastfeeding a personal and private thing. :shuffle:

25. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I consider breast feeding both personal and private. I consider the decision on whether to breast feed or not personal and private as well. I don't have a problem with mothers breast feeding in public, but I still consider it a private and personal thing.

Seriously, if this company consider it not personal or private, why don't they make a realistic breast for the doll to suck?

Breast feeding is natural, but there's an appropriate and inappropriate way of breast feeding in public and I think most mothers, given the choice would prefer to breast feed at home because of comfort and convenience, and privacy. All mothers i know hate feeding in public and do as much as possible to avoid it. I've never seen a breast feeding mother "flashing", and it's an art form fiddling things to not expose yourself! Nevertheless mothers do it, both because they don't want to offend others and, I think, because they don't want to expose their own selves.

But the fact is, breasts are not halter neck tops with flowers as nipples. If this company wants to teach, they're not doing a very realistic job of it.

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :scream:

I think it's totally creepy. 5-year-old girls do NOT need to learn how to breastfeed babies! They'll forget when they hit puberty anyway! This has no reason for existing.

Besides, the ability to breastfeed a baby =/= your "goodness" as a mother.

Awww that's cute. :)

I saw that yesterday and was like :cheer: Although I did have Legos and was fine with playing with the boys. But it is SO true that girls are usually not taught to build things.

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It's sexualizing girls to have a doll that they can feed? It's creepy to have little girls modeling mothering behavior? No one needs to learn to breastfeed yet tons of women will post online about how they tried to breastfeed and "just couldn't do it" mainly because they no role models, no practice and don't know the pitfalls to avoid.

You people are the ones creeping me out.

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:rofl:

29. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

My God. How did our ancestors ever learn to breast feed without a doll to help them?

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Little girls can easily pretend to breastfeed by holding dolls up to their nipples, without the doll actually doing anything. Heck, even little boys who are exposed to breastfeeding babies might try this sometimes. Just as they might stuff dolls under their shirts to pretend to be pregnant and then pretend to give birth.

The point is that they do this spontaneously, acting out aspects of family life that they learn about around them and using their imaginations for the details that the props don't offer.

Would a doll that sucks make this kind of play any more useful for the kids? I don't see how.