Breakfast

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Next week my work (I work with children with special needs) starts having lunches with the theme "breakfast". We're a small group (three adults and four children) and we're looking for vegetarian breakfast recipes. The catch is that at the same time, we're trying to use up the contents of the cabinets and freezer before Christmas break. We can add fresh food too, of course. Here's what we have:

In the cupboards:
    • couscous
    • shredded coconut
    • chai seeds
    • flax seeds
    • burghul
    • quinoa flakes
    • oats (natural, not quick oats)
    • sesame seeds
    • cashew nuts
    • tinned chickpeas
    • tinned artichokes
    • tinned black beans
    • tinned beetroot
    • wholewheat flour
    • honey
    • quinoa
    • buckwheat
    • coconut milk
    • brown rice
    • tahini
    • barley
    • veggie stock powder
    • brown sugar
    • poppy seeds
    • yeast

In the freezer:
    • peas
    • beans
    • broad beans
    • asparagus
    • rosemary
    • thyme
    • mint
    • basil
    • coriander

We'll probably make bread with poppy and sesame seeds, and also some kind of oats, or quinoa flakes, or sweet couscous with fruit and yoghurt. I was thinking some kind of pancakes or something, too. Maybe a frittata?

What do you usually have for breakfast? Can you give me some suggestions using the things we already have? Can I put coconut milk with the oats?

I really like breakfast, and we really enjoy experimenting with stuff. I'd prefer healthy, but there are no allergies and we'll try anything once (plus we're doing buffet style so while the kids will have to try everything, they don't have to only eat something they don't like).

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

Congee is one of my favorites.

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

You could use up a lot of the herbs, vegetables, and flour, etc., in a quiche, perhaps? Quiche is awesome.

You can definitely cook the oats with coconut milk. I do half water-half-non-dairy-milk all the time, and coconut milk is delicious. You can throw any kind of seed, nut, or nut butter (plus the coconut flakes) into oatmeal too with pretty good results, in my experience. Or maybe lemon-poppy-seed oat muffins?

You can grind the barley up into a flour and make barley muffins too, if you have a food processor or good blender. Barley flour is probably my favorite flour, it's amazing.

4. Angelskates

Do you have a recipe? I have hated all the congee I've ever tried, but I'd be willing to give it another try. I should like it...

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

My recipe isnt much of a recipe actually :eek:
    I boil 1/4 cup of rice and 4 cups of water for 1.5 hour or until it is ready.
    I have found that the plainest congee works for me but it is not to everyone's taste

6. Angelskates

Because it doesn't taste :shuffle: ;)

snoopy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I would make granola with the oatmeal, some of the seeds, nuts, coconut, and probably a few more of your ingredients. It could probably be served with coconut milk although I havee never tried that. Western vegetarians, including moi, love granola. The one time I made it I modified the recipe in the new Joy of Cooking. Let me know if you want it.

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Egg bites! They will work great in a school situation because they are single serving sized. They are like a frittata but you make them in a mini-muffin pan. They are great for using up leftovers too. You scramble about 5-6 eggs and add in a cup of "stuff" which can be any veggies, cheese, spices, etc. that you'd put in an omlette or a frittata. Then you bake them.

ETA here's a link to a bunch of egg bite recipes including a sausage and pancake one (you can leave out the sausage) to use up your flour:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=010161...a=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=egg bites&gsc.page=1

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Angelskates

That's pretty much my breakfast every morning, soaked overnight.

Thank you!

I ground the buckwheat into flour today and will use it to make pancakes probably.

10. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

If you make bread, can you use it for French Toast and top it with the honey, coconut or brown sugar?