Brandon Mroz- what has happened to him

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Apr 18, 2013.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That was the first I heard of his family tragedies (nubka, see link on page 1), and I feel sorry for him for that, but he is a very boring skater. His Carmen was the most boring I've ever seen in my life.

2. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:mad: How dare you. It was a very realistic portrayal of Escamillo fighting prescription sedative addiction.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Brandon Mroz, 2009 U.S. Naitonals Free Skate

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't say he looks like an up-and-comer when I view that video now.

I see a lot of two-footed skating and shallow edges (if he is even skating on his edges). Jumps aren't everything, and what is there to that program besides jumps?

I can't find a video from this year's Nationals, but here is his Free Skate at Nationals in 2013. His skating skills have not improved much, if at all.

The top U.S. men are a lot stronger than he is these days in terms of skating skills, other components, quality of elements, and consistency. Even Max Aaron, who is comparatively weak among this group at skating skills, earns significantly higher marks for that component than Mroz does.

4. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

In Tom Z's TSL interview, he was very complimentary of Brandon, especially his jumps. But he kind of admitted that Brandon didn't train very hard. He basically said that Brandon had to decide whether he wanted to get serious or not.

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

Is it possible too that Brandon's training-mates around that time might have had something to do with it? The year after that National medal, Zakrasjek had two skaters on the Junior podium together, both with already exceptional jumps, and one who was being touted as the next big thing. Then the next year, even though one of those two left Zakrasjek, the other was becoming sufficiently credentialled to focus on as the number one skater in his camp.

If you were a coach and have two skaters, one who decides to come to training late or not at all if he doesn't feel like it, and one who works like a fiend, which would you choose?

I was very sad when I watched Brandon at Nationals this year. There was simply nothing there. Brandon made Max look like Jeremy or Jason.

6. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

DH and were watching Men's SP's on our 2014 Nationals DVD the other day and I said to my husband, "Carlos Santana ought to sue Brandon...for boredom!" Also, "Brandon needs another facial expression. Then he'd have 1."

I can't think of another skater less connected to his music. He's a great jumper, but that's it.

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about Brandon. It could explain what comes across as a lack of focus in his skating. Looking at his programs, he has some nice qualities in his skating, but it always looks like he could be doing more. Don't think I'd be able to put my complete energies into skating either - I can only imagine the financial and emotional burdens he has been under. Bless him and his family.

sweetsparky likes this.
  8. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

Jeremy and Brandon are not friends. They only appeared to be for awhile since they shared the same coach, and all training partners are supposed to act chummy.

Brandon is a boring skater, who was nothing but jumps but was never a great jumper like say Max Aaron. He was near the top when the US lacked depth in strength like 2008-2010 but now with the US having such a super deep and strong field he is not a factor.

9. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Brandon's fan must be morose.

CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ;)

ITA, that's my impression too. In fact, I thought it was rumoured at one time that they didn't get along very well, but water under the bridge by now. Good luck to Brandon in his future endeavours.

11. Fiero425

Fiero425 Member

:lol: :) :D :p Well at least he has one! :lol:

12. frillit

frillit Member

I miss Brandon. He is such a nice guy and such a talented skater.

13. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

When skaters get to the end of the skating road, I always wonder if they have something else, like school or an idea for a career.

We sat near Brandon's family at US Nats this year. My memory is that it was not a great day and not a nice reaction from his team. I really really hope he is ok.

But I will remember his big big jumps.

14. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I saw Brandon skate in Cleveland at US Nationals and Four Continents in Vancouver in 2009. I really liked his programs and his attack.

15. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I liked him too.

I will miss him. I always thought he would be the "next" Tom Z Men's Nat'l Champ (TM) But instead it was Bradley, then Aaron. (and of course Abbott 3 more times-but Abbott had moved by then)

It's kind of ironic....by all reports back around 09 Mroz was Tom Z's favorite male skater. But others went on to win, not Mroz. Kind of makes me wonder what happened- at least Tom Z thought he held promise.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I wasn't very fond of his programs, but boy oh boy, that quad he landed in the LP! I turned to the person next to me to confirm that it was, in fact, a quad. It looked so easy.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Posted on 4/15/14 in this thread:
    It has since been brought to my attention (by more than one person) that Brandon has NOT retired from competition. Apparently it was his own choice to be removed from the ISP.

I apologize for jumping the gun.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  18. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Why would he do that? To take a year off or to skate for another country?

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

His bio says he wants to be a dentist.

20. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

HIs bio does not mention that Bezic ever worked with him. Do you know which of his programs she is credited with?

21. ladygagafan

ladygagafan Member

If he does, not a bad idea. Lets face it, he is done as a U.S competitor internationally, other than maybe a B assignment somewhere.

22. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Glad you found the answer to your own question 5 months later. ;)

Mroz did not compete at all this season, but my (vague) hearsay info is that he may consider competing again in the future.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I wonder what he could do to even be competitive at this point if he does return. One of the last times I ever saw him he landed the first ever clean quad lutz (I think) and had a fairly clean skate and got a 74ish score only at NHK. Funny to see my really old thread resurrected though.