Brandon Mroz- what has happened to him

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Apr 18, 2013.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

He looked like one of the U.S and comers several years ago but he has dropped off the face of the earth. I had even thought he retired but apparently he is still competing at Nationals, just producing low finishes there now. What happened to him and why hasnt he remained a contender, especialy when the U.S men arent even that strong these days.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Mroz landed a 4T in both his 2013 Nationals SP (10th) and FS (10th) for 9th place overall, one of his better showings in recent years. He was assigned to Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy earlier this month (his first international since landing the first ISU competition 4Lz in his SP at 2011 NHK Trophy) but was not successful with the quad or many of his other jumps and finished 4th (he attained the 2013 Worlds minimum TES in the SP but not in the FS).

ETA a correction: NHK Trophy was before Rostelecom Cup in the fall of 2011.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  3. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

To be honest, he only cares about the jumps and that just barely. I honestly have no idea why he's still around if he doesn't like to skate.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Brandon showed promise as a junior and in his 1st year as a Senior, when he finished ahead of Lysacek and Weir at '09 Nationals, and ahead of Abbott at Worlds to be the #2 US man there. I do agree with the post above that because he treats his programs like an X competition to see what type of Quad he can land, he has neglected his skating abilities, and his credibility with the USFSA in general. I was going to say that he would benefit in a new environment, but it could be that Tom Z may have given up on him and it's up to Brandon to decide that he wants to be a complete skater, not just a daredevil
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Sure he won a silver medal at US nationals in 2009 and made it to worlds but was on track to do even better in 2011 but dislocated his should but still competed. This was after he won 2 medals in the GP season! Early 2009 and late 2010 were good but since then he can't get the consistency to do jumps well. That is the major thing. Whatever was going on for the 2010 GP was working great so maybe it's the shoulder? Or just so intent on doing more quad Lutz's. So you have some problems but showed he can recover from depths. He will probably qualify for 2014 nationals just like he qualified for 2013 nationals. He placed 9th which was not his worst. His worst is 14th in 2012.
  6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I use his programs as a sleep aid. :saint:
  7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That is a mean thing to say. If I'm understanding correctly, mean-ness is against the FSU rules.

:p
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Yes, it is a mean thing to say. But is it any meaner than calling a skater a "fridge break"? Both are mean, IMHO.
  9. Dr.Siouxs

:D But I will say this....contributing a quad lutz to competitive figure skating is not a bad accomplishment. :respec:
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Fine. I will quit with my first draft of "BAN SIOUXDONYM FROM FSU" petition. But mark my words. You are being watched.

:p
  11. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

He'll probably end up as one of the footnotes in skating history like Vern Taylor
  12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

After I posted, I remembered the 2 medals on the GP circuit in the Fall of 2010. He worked w/ Sandra Bezic IIRC that year. Perhaps that made a difference (but not sure whom he worked with since then). I stand by my statement that he needs to focus really hard on other elements of skating besides the 'hardest quads'.
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The problem is that he seems to have lost part of his jumps too !
  14. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Whilst working in Colorado, he seemed very unmotivated. He would have multiple days with no training and if he did go training he would turn up late. He only started training more like a real athlete about 2 weeks before nationals.
  15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like Bowman. Hopefully he's just unmotivated and doesn't have any of Bowman's other issues!
  16. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I guess the main difference is that Bowman had enough natural talent and charisma to get away with horrible training habits (for a while at least). Mroz isn't as talented a skater and he has zero charisma when skating.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
  17. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Mroz was lucky in 09, had Lysacek and Weir been in top condition at Nats, Mroz would had finished with the pewter.- in my opinion.
  18. madm

madm Active Member

Brandon has had a very rough life. See his bio at http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100076. His mother and brother were nearly killed in a car accident, and his brother suffers from a spinal cord injury. It's not surprising that his focus may be on other things.
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  19. judgejudy27

Who knows for sure. I dont think the judges were ever giving Weir the title over Abbott that year no matter how well he skated. Evan maybe could have, since Abbott had mistakes in the LP, but the SP showed they were going to go with Jeremy if both skated cleanly.
  20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. Never count anyone out!
  21. lilshorty

lilshorty New Member

Just wanted to mention that since working with Bezic, Brandon has also worked with Jeffrey Buttle who choreographed last season's programs for him. I agree that he needs to focus really hard on other elements of skating besides the jumps. I think that Brandon has been trying to work more on musicality, hence the reason why he went to Buttle last year, but in the case for some skaters, artistry takes years to develop, and when you can't put it together with the jumps then it's just a sad situation.
  22. judgejudy27

The thing I like most about him is his ever present smile. He seems like such a happy person, despite his past family tragedies.
  23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I fully expected Jeremy to get the title in 09 but thought based on their seasons, Lysacek would take the silver and Weir the bronze.
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I noticed that Mroz is no longer listed in USFS' International Selection Pool for 2014-15, so it appears he may have decided to retire from competition at 23 (no official word yet). He placed 9th at Nationals in Boston (ETA: he landed 4T+3T in both programs but had problems on other jumps).

His IN bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/brandon_mroz
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  25. seabm7

seabm7 Member

If it is really so, than I feel sad. I remember his silver at Nationals, he looked so promising at that time.

In whatever path he would choose for next year, I hope he would find happiness.
  26. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I checked his ISU bio and Brandon was born in 1990, so he will be 24 this December. His career highlights include

06-07 - 4th at Jr Worlds (age 16)
    07-08 - 4th at Jr Worlds (age 17)
    08-09 - 2nd at US Nationals (senior), 9th at Worlds (age 18)
    09-10 - 6th at US Nationals, 4th at 4 Continents (age 19)
    10-11 - 2nd at Cup of China, 3rd at Bompard, 7th at US Nationals (age 19-20)
    11-12 - 14th at US Nationals (age 21)
    12-13 - 9th at US Nationals (age 22)
    13-14 - 9th at US Nationals (age 23)

In addition to the family issues that may have distracted his mental focus, I think part of it may be dealing with a maturing body. A man in his mid-20s is going to be thicker and heavier than his teenage self, and that is going to make it harder to jump. Heavier bodies need more strength to get good jump height; broader shoulders don't rotate as quickly.

Over the years, we have seen other promising teenagers struggle somewhere in the 19-21 range. (Petrenko in 89, Eldrege in 93, Kulik in 97). Those with good basic jump technique who put in the work are able to come thru it. Even those who continue to compete succcessfully may continue to strugggle with a particular jump. (This is the age Lambiel's 3 axel went AWOL, for example.)

So, my guess is part of the problem is the male counterpart to the puberty monster, kind of like those promising 13 yo girls whose 3 lutzes depart by age 18. It takes a lot of talent, good technique, and a lot of work and determination. If he has found that he isn't motivated enough to put in the time and effort, maybe it is best to move on to something else. If he has retired, at least he walks away instead of ending up on the injured skater scrap heap.
  27. angelflies

angelflies Member

Arent he and Jeremy Abbott good friends. Jeremy should have given him more encouragement to make his skating better again.
  28. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

A shame. He had such real potential. I was a fan.
  29. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Jeremy can give him all the encouragement in the world, but it's ultimately Brandon's desicion/responsibility. It shouldn't fall on Jeremy to encourage him.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  30. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

What tragedies? :confused:
  31. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That was the first I heard of his family tragedies (nubka, see link on page 1), and I feel sorry for him for that, but he is a very boring skater. His Carmen was the most boring I've ever seen in my life.
  32. Dr.Siouxs

:mad: How dare you. It was a very realistic portrayal of Escamillo fighting prescription sedative addiction.
  33. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Brandon Mroz, 2009 U.S. Naitonals Free Skate

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't say he looks like an up-and-comer when I view that video now.

I see a lot of two-footed skating and shallow edges (if he is even skating on his edges). Jumps aren't everything, and what is there to that program besides jumps?

I can't find a video from this year's Nationals, but here is his Free Skate at Nationals in 2013. His skating skills have not improved much, if at all.

The top U.S. men are a lot stronger than he is these days in terms of skating skills, other components, quality of elements, and consistency. Even Max Aaron, who is comparatively weak among this group at skating skills, earns significantly higher marks for that component than Mroz does.
  34. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

In Tom Z's TSL interview, he was very complimentary of Brandon, especially his jumps. But he kind of admitted that Brandon didn't train very hard. He basically said that Brandon had to decide whether he wanted to get serious or not.
  35. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Is it possible too that Brandon's training-mates around that time might have had something to do with it? The year after that National medal, Zakrasjek had two skaters on the Junior podium together, both with already exceptional jumps, and one who was being touted as the next big thing. Then the next year, even though one of those two left Zakrasjek, the other was becoming sufficiently credentialled to focus on as the number one skater in his camp.

If you were a coach and have two skaters, one who decides to come to training late or not at all if he doesn't feel like it, and one who works like a fiend, which would you choose?

I was very sad when I watched Brandon at Nationals this year. There was simply nothing there. Brandon made Max look like Jeremy or Jason.
  36. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

DH and were watching Men's SP's on our 2014 Nationals DVD the other day and I said to my husband, "Carlos Santana ought to sue Brandon...for boredom!" Also, "Brandon needs another facial expression. Then he'd have 1."

I can't think of another skater less connected to his music. He's a great jumper, but that's it.
  37. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I didn't know that about Brandon. It could explain what comes across as a lack of focus in his skating. Looking at his programs, he has some nice qualities in his skating, but it always looks like he could be doing more. Don't think I'd be able to put my complete energies into skating either - I can only imagine the financial and emotional burdens he has been under. Bless him and his family.
  38. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

Jeremy and Brandon are not friends. They only appeared to be for awhile since they shared the same coach, and all training partners are supposed to act chummy.

Brandon is a boring skater, who was nothing but jumps but was never a great jumper like say Max Aaron. He was near the top when the US lacked depth in strength like 2008-2010 but now with the US having such a super deep and strong field he is not a factor.
  39. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Brandon's fan must be morose.
    CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  40. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ ;)

ITA, that's my impression too. In fact, I thought it was rumoured at one time that they didn't get along very well, but water under the bridge by now. Good luck to Brandon in his future endeavours.