Boys in figure skating Unite! High school editorial: "Stop Hating on Ice Skating!"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Apr 13, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It's also "highly likely" the story was inspired by the stories in several Canadian media outlets that were in circulation before this thread even started.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, apparently Scrufflets had heard or read about Larouque’s comments prior to posting in this thread. It’s possible the icenetwork learned about Laroque’s comments via the Canadian media or through online sites, such as youtube, or saw them first in this thread. Or, the icenetwork may have planned to do another feature on Laroque (I think they wrote about his star turn on BOTB), but coincidentally the current feature appeared after this thread was started. There may or may not be a direct relationship. Great to see no matter the chronology or inspiration.

3. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

The rest of his editorial was much of the same. You're right that what you write may cause people to perceive you in a certain way. That's okay.

4. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Fair enough, if that's what it came off looking as to you, but I took the way he wrote the editorial as more of how difficult skating really is rather than how much better he is than his peers.

Fully agree with aftershocks... if you see the editorial as not making him look any better than his peers, then fine, but there is no reason to disregard the points he did make simply from that sentence. They are completely valid points (e.g. a point being what you originally commented on: his classmates don't like him because of his skating). If you do however disagree about the points he does make in his editorial, then go ahead and back them up, and then we can have a fruitful discussion about that.

5. heckles

Do his peers actually say, "We dislike you because you skate"? If they say that, he might have a point, but we'll never know. Instead, he declares that his skating dedication is superior than another writer's dedication to lacrosse, even though that writer never mentioned skating at all in his work.

http://voice.paly.net/node/26416

Why put down another young man's sport in order to build up your own?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

He did not put down another's sport. Here is his quote that comments on the lacrosse article:

"Nothing against our dear sports editor John Brunett and his recent “Wake and Lax” column, where he wrote of his morning lacrosse practices, but I can almost assure that skating ones are worse, yet I feel no need to write a “Wake and Skate” column."

The fact that just because practices of one sport is/seems worse than another, does NOT make that sport any BETTER than the other! He is not comparing the sports themselves here, he is comparing the circumstances of the practices.

He is simply stating that he feels what he goes through for skating is worse than what was described in the Lacrosse article. (This does NOT mean he feels lacrosse is a worse sport than figure skating and putting it down, if you are making extrapolations such as these, there is already a flaw in your reasoning.)

Although he does not make any direct quotes from his peers, here is a bit of what he had to say about it...

"...apparently just an invitation for everyone in my classes to make fun of me."

"...it seems that some of my fellow students are still stuck with their seventh grade immaturity and still see a problem with the fact that I skate."

"And that is why I am writing this — because figure skating is at least as much of a sport as baseball or football or any other of those activities where men (often overweight ones I might add) run around in tights."

"For those of you that are unaware, I have been figure skating for 11 years now, and with that have been receiving criticism about it for about seven."

First of all, these do not tell anything about how his peers feel about him as a person (i.e. dislike him - a personal feeling), rather, it is quite evident that they MAKE FUN of him because he skates, a clear difference. Actually, whether or not his peers like him or not is irrelevant.

From the bolded quote, rather than you suggesting he is putting down other sports, he is actually trying to bring up skating as being recognized AS a sport that is just as tough. As many know, it is a pretty common misconception that figure skating is seen as an easy and a "sissy" sport (also the reason being why he is made fun of) and he is writing about how it ISN'T, which is the purpose of his editorial.

7. heckles

Why does he reference the Brunett's lacrosse column at all? Brunett's column was humorous, and he even laughed at himself. Both are things that Benton could learn. Also, Benton contradicts himself here, as he haughtily says he feels no need to write a "Wake and Skate" column, but that's essentially what he has written. ,

Yes, pointing out the fatties in popular activities is a great way to get the public on your side. :rolleyes: Does Benton feel the "need" to point out his overweight classmates as well?

Again, how do we know the actual basis of his classmates' complaints? Benton may want to blame his skating as the cause, but we don't know that's the case and if his column is an indicator, there's more to this than meets the eye. Benton comes off like one of those whiny "nice guys" who blame their niceness as the reason they can't get women, rather than focusing on whatever the real reason is.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. aftershocks

Wow, heckles, you really seem to have something against this young man. Do you know him personally? IMO, your points are nitpicky to the extreme, and almost laughable in the way you are taking what Benton is saying in his editorial out of context. You seem laser focused on turning everything the young man is saying into something negative. Benton qualified his reference to the Brunett column on lacrosse. I would be surprised if Brunett takes any extreme offense from Benton's comments (unless you are Brunett). When Benton's comments are read within the context of his editorial, it should be obvious to any reasonable person that his intention is to illustrate how difficult a sport figure skating is, because the popular notion of figure skating is that it is a sport for girls and sissies, or not even a sport at all.

Your statement that Benton is "pointing out the fatties in popular activities," is ridiculous. I don't think it is a stretch to say that some football and baseball players are overweight. Again, read in context, it is obvious that Benton is demonstrating how figure skating is as tough, if not tougher than the highly regarded, beloved (and perceived as more manly) sports of football and baseball. For you to make any mention at all of "overweight" in reference to Benton's classmates is further evidence of how your "everyday attitude is reflected" by your limited perception, lack of perspective, and puerile points of view. IMO, your critiques of Benton's editorial are baseless and gratuitous. FYI: Benton's editorial is not about his inability to "get women." Since you seem to think the editorial has anything to do with "getting" members of the opposite sex, perhaps that is one of your problems.

ITA with ltnskater's points:

:respec:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. heckles

Why does Benton point the overweight people out at all in this editorial? What's his goal here?

Never said he was trying to "get women". I compared him to self-proclaimed "nice guy" martyrs who don't want to admit the real reasons that people are staying away. Neither of us know what Benton's real social problems are if we can't observe him around his classmates, but his theory that they dislike him only because he's a skater seems too convenient.

10. aftershocks

If you have read the entire editorial in context, and you are unable to figure this out on your own, there's nothing further I can say that will help you understand.

Neither do we know what any poster's "social problems", or lack thereof, might be. Benton's editorial is not about having social problems, although it may be "convenient" for you to think so. Again, there is nothing in the editorial to indicate that "people are staying away" from Benton, nor that his classmates "dislike him." I think it is clear that Benton is saying he is often teased for being a figure skater. I take the editorial at face value and I don't see any hidden ulterior motives. To the contrary, I think it is courageous of Benton to speak out and to stand up for the sport. Figure skating is a difficult endeavor that deserves to be valued, and better understood by everyone.

But okay, apparently you either have problems with the editorial, with Benton, or with accepting the fact that many young men who are figure skaters often have to deal with teasing from uninformed, jealous, and/ or bullying peers.

11. heckles

On that we agree. Where we apparently disagree is that I believe he greatly undermined his point with the way he delivered it.

12. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

I think aftershocks has pretty much said all there needs to be said. :)