Boston Marathon bombing aftermath: Stories, tributes, details

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Apr 25, 2013.

1. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For those in the area, there's free two-hour parking in Back Bay through Sunday. WCVB (Channel 5) is promotion the "Boylston is Back" event on Saturday urging folks who can to spend $25 at businesses in the zone.

This is what I know about merchandise that benefits The One Fund. If you ordered a Red Sox B Strong hat, it should be hitting your doorstep soon. They sold out the first production run and are just shipping the second. The first run of Adidas shirts are en route to the folks who ordered them. The Emerson College student's Boston Strong shirts are in production and will ship this weekend.

3. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

If I remember correctly from what Tom Bergeron said, next week DWTS is going to have a special tribute for an aspiring dancer who lost a foot in the explosion. Tom was actually quite choked up as he talked about her.

I also heard this morning that sales of the "Sweet Caroline" track have increased over 500% since the explosion and Neil Diamond is donating a portion of the sales $.

4. BlueRidge

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

As of this morning, Adrianne Haslet-Davis is still in the hospital. Not sure if she will be able to travel to LA. One of my golf buddies takes lessons at Arthur Murray and has worked with Adrianne at several showcases in the area. My friend says she's really nice and is one of the better AM teachers.

Update: She has been released to a rehab facility. Not sure if she can get medical clearance to fly.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's interesting that the song is now being associated so closely with the Boston Red Sox. They've been playing it for years I know, but so have many other sports venues - I used to go to Rangers games at Madison Square Garden, and that song was played every game - and not just played, but sung loudly by the entire crowd while play on the ice stopped. I guess no one will be able to play it again without everyone thinking it's a Boston tribute, which isn't such a bad thing, but perhaps a shame for fans of teams who thought it was "our thing."

:cheer2: for Neil Diamond turning its newfound prominence to benefit survivors of the bombings.

7. BlueRidge

I never knew it was associated with the Red Sox.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for starting this thread, BR! :)

The Boston Globe is back to limited free access to their articles -- here's one that recounts the terrible left knee injury suffered by Beth Roche in the blast and includes interviews with several doctors and surgeons on their decisions whether or not to amputate: http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...hon-bombing/1dVC12COYiarAcC41pi18O/story.html
    ETA re. "Sweet Caroline":
    I never knew before the bombing either.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/showbiz/neil-diamond-donates-royalties/index.html

9. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I mean it's associated now, not that it was written that way. Teams and their players often take on a song as a sort of theme or feature of games and fans get into - I was just saying that Sweet Caroline has long been a popular song in sports venues, including Fenway Park, and now it's taken on a whole new significance specifically related to the Red Sox and the bombings.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

http://bostonherald.com/inside_trac...wts_showing_the_love_to_adrianne_haslet_davis

This article says the film crew is going to Boston.
    Derek Hough said he would like to dance with her on the show when she is ready. Obviously, not this season.

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Can I post updates to the news on the suspects here in this thread? I can move this if this is the wrong thread, as I'm (obviously) not clear on what's good to go here, and what has to go in PI.

The police have reported that they've found emptied shells for large fireworks in a clothing donation bin in Watertown. They are checking to see if these fireworks are linked to the bombing suspects:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/feds-cache-fireworks-dumped-boston-suburb-122507297--abc-news-topstories.html

That article also says that the younger suspect was questioned without Miranda for 16 hours, as long as they felt they could do it. Then they Mirandized him.

13. BlueRidge

I think details that we learn about the bombing and the manhunt go here, Garr.

14. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I seem to recall seeing Tom on a red carpet right after the bombing. He's from Boston, and said his wife and daughter were in Boston at that time (safe and unharmed).

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

So this thread is :eek: :(:yikes::wuzrobbed:fragile::wideeyes::scream::respec::):cheer::cheer2: and :40beers:

And the PI thread is :argue::mad::rolleyes::angryfire:lynch: :blah::EVILLE: and :mitchell:

In other words, the usual.

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

The running industry has started some sort of coalition to promote running and raise money for the One Boston fund:

http://www.runnow.com

There was an article about how interest in qualifying for Boston has spiked but it was based on Google searches so I'm skeptical. I mean I searched for "Boston Qualifying Times" right after the bombing and my interest in qualifying has gone up a *bit* but I'm not even running right now so it's not like that interest is going to translate into anything real in the immediate future.

Gar, I'm not a big fan of the "two thread" approach but I think as long as we don't get into a big political discussion here, it should be fine.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This showed up on my Twitter feed - The May cover of Boston magazine, a heart shape made of shoes from the marathon: http://ow.ly/i/1Y6K9

18. dardar1126

Twitter:

19. dardar1126

Twitter:

20. BlueRidge

That is so good to hear and that Tufts Medical says it will also cover mental health is really important.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sure that it will be much appreciated.

22. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

23. GarrAarghHrumph

I'm glad they found Sunil. Very sad story.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates on Tripathi. I am so heartbroken for his family. Hopefully he can now rest in peace and my prayers thoughts to his family.

25. dardar1126

Twitter:

26. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Moved from the other thread, where we have been talking about the parents telling people that their youngest son was in his second year of med school (only we won't be talking about it there any more):

You'd think that a person who taught at the college-level for more than 20 years and whose grad school English-major office-mate went on to med school would know this already, wouldn't you?

My point was in relation to this specific comment:

I don't think the dad was confused because there is no indication that the son was on his way to med school--even though I know perfectly well that one can major in any number of things and still go to med school. However, most people who do that decide to go to med school after majoring in something else and THEN deciding to go to med school. They do not major in marine biology with the intent of going to med school.

27. GarrAarghHrumph

NYC Mayor Bloomberg said that the Boston suspects had been planning to drive to NYC in that carjacked Mercedes, and use their remaining explosives in NYC. However, when the carjacking victim escaped, that made it so this second attack did not happen:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/bombers-planned-ny-attack-cops-145419681--abc-news-topstories.html

The guy whose car had been carjacked had said he'd heard the suspects talking about Manhattan. And originally, the suspect said that he and his brother had planned to drive to NYC to party. He changed his story and said they planned to head to Times Square to set off further explosives.

That article also says that the suspect will soon be moved to a prison with medical facilities.

ETA: Here is a second source, this one the AP, which talks about the suspects' plans to use explosives in NYC:
    http://news.yahoo.com/police-boston-suspects-planned-attack-york-182015679.html

28. BlueRidge

I'm confused as to what happened between when the carjack victim escaped and the suspects got into the shootout in Watertown. Did police chase them down after the carjack victim called police?

29. GarrAarghHrumph

Here is an interview with the guy who was carjacked. He talks about how he managed to escape:
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/Suspected-...ive/-/9838224/19861306/-/11i9qcd/-/index.html

From what I can tell, the carjacked man was carjacked at about 10:30-pm, and escaped at about 11pm. He ran across the street and called 911. The police responded, and as part of that response, were able to find the Mercedes. They chased it, and the suspects inside shot at them and began throwing explosives. Tamerlan was caught. Tamerlan was on the ground, in handcuffs with the police there with him. Dzhokhar was still in the car. Dzhokhar gunned the engine and ran the car at the police officers, witness describing it as his driving directly at them and very quickly. The police officers scrambled away, and Dzhokhar ran over Tamerlan. Dzhokhar took off in the car, abandoning it and then escaping on foot.

The FBI says that the suspects had been planning to drive the Mercedes to NYC. That was why they had so many explosives with them.

30. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That is my understanding -- the car jacking took place sometime after 11 p.m. but I believe that the shootout was sometime after midnight (there's probably a timeline that I can't find at the moment). If the carjacking victim phoned the police, they would have had an ID on its plates.