Boston Frog Pond Skating Spectacular - TH 12/05/13 @5pm - FREE!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by dardar1126, Dec 3, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

Frog Pond Skating Spectacular
    At the 72nd Annual Boston Common Tree Lighting

December 5, 2013 at 5:00pm

Join The Skating Club of Boston at The Boston Common Frog Pond for a FREE world-class figure skating ice show featuring national and international figure skating champions, synchronized skating and Theatre On Ice teams. Celebrate the holiday season with friends and family at Boston's most scenic ice rink!

EDIT: Upcoming First Night event...

Frog Pond Skating Spectacular
    At First Night Boston

New Year’s Eve
    December 31, 2013 at 6:00pm

Join The Skating Club of Boston at The Boston Common Frog Pond for a FREE world-class figure skating ice show featuring national and international figure skating champions, synchronized skating and Theatre On Ice teams. Ring in the New Year with friends and family!

Poster: http://www.bostonfrogpond.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/FPSSnye640px.jpg

For details: www.bostonfrogpond.com

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Synnabun

Synnabun Member

I wish I lived in Boston so I could go to this!!

I'm taking my backup skates with me to Boston during Nationals and definitely intend to make up the ice time I'm gonna miss. I love skating outdoors!!

3. dardar1126

The Frog Pond is a nice setting...right there in the Boston Common, on the edge of Beacon Hill. :cold:

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

If we lived in the Boston area, we'd definitely want to go to this! Hope some members of this forum can attend it.

5. dardar1126

A little more info:

http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/gotoit/2013/12/boston_commons.html

For more information about the Boston Common tree lighting, visit www.cityofboston.gov.

6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I should be able to stop by, but this depends on work cooperating -which is something that hasn't been happening that regularly.

7. dardar1126

Good luck...take pictures to share! :cheer:

8. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hehe, camera is with me, so hopefully I can get there reasonably early and try and do videos. Will see how the best-laid plans actually work out ;).

9. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

I'll be there! Decided not to bring my camera for photos as it's heavy for carrying around the city and pics didn't come out well last year due to poor lighting.

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Company :cheer2:

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I love the name 'frog pond skating'. It makes me think of skating outdoor on frozen ponds.

12. paskatefan

I'm trying to find out if Harrison Choate skated in the festivities last night. He's good friends with Ross Miner.

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Did they have another show last night as well? If they did, I wasn't aware of it. Think this is getting close to finals week @ Harvard, so Harrison & the rest of the college students might be too busy studying to fit many shows in.

14. dardar1126

Twitter:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks! (YS = Yasmin Siraj)

Tweeted by @christina_gao:

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Excellent show, even though Christina Gao and Ross Miner were only there for a brief ice side interview & didn't actually skate. Gretchen & Andrew did Time to say goodbye, Stephen skated his Ave Maria number, Yasmin did Bring him home & c/S did a few lifts and a death spiral. Will post vids in a little bit

17. dardar1126

Thanks for the report...can't wait! :cool:

Twitter:

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

19. dardar1126

Thanks! :encore: Looks like there was a pretty good crowd.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Anytime! It always gets a very big crowd. I just wish their sound system worked properly. The local TV reporter who did MC duties was trying to promote Nationals (also in Ross & Christina's interview), but we could barely hear her. The end of the show was a perfect opportunity to mention Nationals coming to Boston in January, but that only tends to work when the audience can understand what's being said :shuffle:. Eh well, I'll be there anyway.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  21. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Love the pic that Christina Gao tweeted of the frog pond ice and the magical lighted trees in the background, makes me wish I was there, and am hoping something similar happens here in Seattle. :)

And thanks so very much, ioana, for the review and the videos, much appreciated. :) Marisssa must be at least 12 feet off the ice in those lifts, WOW! :eek: And Andrew looks a bit like Paul Walker imho. :cool:

Kudos to all the skaters for participating, it looks freeeeezing, brrrrrrr, makes me appreciate even more those skaters from Sonja Henie's era that had to skate outdoors all the time. :hat1:

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It was a perfect day weather-wise for this. About 50 and no wind -which is newsworthy in the downtown area. Most skaters looked comfortable, unlike last year when some kept their jackets on and still looked cold. But yes, trying jumps -never mind lifts- at the rink can be scary because they can random wind gusts. Didn't seem to be the case tonight, though

23. dardar1126

Also I can see where the lighting could be an issue...particularly for the jumpers.

I liked when Stephen was skating and you hear a tiny young voice say "Hey (or Hi) there", and he smiles at the child...too cute!

EDIT: via Twitter...

24. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

Harrison Choate skated in the Theatre on Ice number. Apologies for the sound system snafu. It had been working fine all day during sound checks and worked perfectly for opening remarks and then nothing. Don't know yet if it was our system or some type of interference with the tree lighting. We were glad to at least get it operational, but will look into it for the first night show.

25. paskatefan

Thank you for all the reports, tweets, pics, Youtube links etc.! :encore: Glad some of you were able to be there on a good weather evening!

26. dardar1126

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot about the first night show. That's even closer to Nationals, so yes, hopefully all the issues can be worked out by then. Would be a perfect time to remind people they can still get tickets :).

28. paskatefan