1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borscht Recipes?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Murdoch, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

So, I have come into the good fortune of fresh beets from a friend's garden. FH is Ukrainian and LOVES Borscht. He is also sick as a dog right now... so, I was thinking that when he gets better, borscht might be a nice surprise.

Does anyone have a recipe they might be willing to share? He tends to prefer meatless ones, but I can adapt recipes. There are tonnes online, but I thought if someone had one they had tried, that would be even better! TIA!

2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I make the absolutely barebones borscht that my grandmother always made. Just scrub beets really, really well and cook covered with water in a deep pot. When beets are tender I hold them under cold running water and slip the peels off. I chunk up or slice the cooked beets and return them to the cooking water. To serve I put some of this is a bowl garnished with boiled potatoes and something acid/tangy - either a healthy squeeze of lemon juice or a swirl of sour cream. Garnish with chop dill if desired, and salt and pepper to taste (I usually don't use either).

Borscht is like meatloaf; you are not going to find two alike anywhere. Everyone's recipe is different. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Borsch NOT borschT recipe: There is no "t" at the end of this word.

Ingredients:

3 beets
    1/2 cabbage (I buy shredded cabbage from Trader Joe's cuz I am lazy!)
    1 marrow bone (optional)
    2-3 potatoes
    1-2 grated carrots
    3 tbl spoons tomato paste

Boil the marrow bone, drain. Boil again having washed the bone and the pot. Cut up the potatoes in bite sizes and drop in (Hint: if you want to make the beets more user friendly you can bake them a bit so they grate easier). Heat up olive oil in a skillet. Grate beets and carrots and add into skillet. Let this go for 5 minutes and add 2 table spoons lemon juice and 1/2 tbl spoon sugar. Add tomato paste.

Add all the veggies to the boiling water with the marrow bone and potatoes. Chop up the cabbage and add to the borsch and simmer for about 5 minutes until the cabbage is softened but still a little crunchy.

You can add onions and fresh herbs like parsley. I don't. I like to serve it with a tiny dollop of French mustard (very unorthodox) and a teaspoon of sour cream (very un-Kosher). It's a lot of manual labor unless you have a food processor that chops and grates.

4. Aimless

Aimless Active Member

I have a dynamite one, which I've adapted from the Victory Garden cookbook. I'll try to post it tomorrow. It's a bit labor intensive but makes an enormous amount, is hugely delicious, and powerfully nutritious with all the different vegetables incorporated. When I make it, I eat it for every meal until it's gone.

5. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Please see the definition in Wikipedia. It is a variation. As an Ashkenazi Jew, I grew up with the "t" firmly planted on the end. Also went to High School with the heir to Gold's who makes borscht, otherwise known to me and my classmates as " The Horseradish King" ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht

6. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Indeed. It's the Borscht Belt, not the Borsch Belt. ;)

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It's a mispronunciation of the original word that does not have a "t". Believe me as I grew up in Ukraine and Russian was my first language.

8. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Everything I have seen indicates that the standard Yiddish pronunciation has a "t" on the end, regardless of what the Ukrainian and Russian pronunciation might be.

Alisa, was anyone speaking Yiddish as a first (or second) language in the Ukraine and Russia when you were growing up?

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, grandparents on both sides spoke Yiddish and did not say "borscht". It is not, however an original Ashkenazi Jewish dish, or rather one that came to the US by way of Ashkenazi Jews, who in turn adopted it from Eastern European host countries. Somewhere along the way the "t" was added.

The Ukrainian and Russian pronunciations are the original ones, this is a Russian word, so can we please stop arguing? It's like telling me how to pronounce Domnina/Shabalin because everywhere in the US commentators pronounce it a certain way.

10. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

My textbook for my Garde Manger class in Culinary School has a recipe for it, and has ingredients in it I've never seen in a typical recipe for it, probably because it's not easy to find them. The main one that stands out to me is Duck Stock/Broth. Is that a traditional ingredient in true Borsch?

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

emason is right when s/he says that there is no one recipe. I've never heard about duck stock as an ingredient but then my aunt likes to put bell peppers in her borsch so who knows? Sounds interesting.

12. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I'll PM you the full recipe when I get a chance. It very well could just be the text gourmeting up a traditional rustic dish.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  13. sk9tingfan

I guess my Russian born grandparents bastardized the language. I'm glad it was transported. Like bagels and bialys :D

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What are bialys?

15. sk9tingfan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bialy I ate them all the time as a child. They're softer and not as crusty as a bagel and have carmelized onions on top; yum.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

They look delicious. This is a Polish dish, no?

17. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Mmmm . . . can't wait!

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

If you look at the second picture down on the right in this article, this is a dead ringer for the borscht that I make. Not surprising, since this is the Lithuanian version, and my grandparents were originally from a small town outside of Vilna.

19. Squibble

Squibble New Member

20. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

That sounds like what my mother (Polish) used to make. Unfortunately I never got the recipe. We also ate it hot and put mashed potatoes in it. And I LOVED it.

Regarding the question of Borscht and Borsch... we just called it *BEET SOUP*...

Thank you for this recipe emason. I've tried several more complicated recipes and none of them came close to Mom's.

21. pumba

pumba New Member

This. Plus beet soup is not borsch, but svekol'nik.
    Hmm despite +40C I'm thinking of cooking some borsch this weekend:p.

22. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Can I just bring up one more variation? :) Wouldn't the literal transliteration be, "borshch"? Since the cyrillic word ends with the 'sh' with the tail - the letter that looks like a 'W' with a tail that equates to shch. Maybe the Yiddish variation came about due to the German transliteration/influence when recipes got passed down?

23. sk9tingfan

My favorite version is the pure vegetarian beet borscht mixed with sour cream, served cold with a big hot boiled potato. Wonderful during a hot summer day!

24. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

Thanks for the recipe!

Interesting discussion... fueled by Google search engine. The difference between typing in "Borsch recipe" and "Borscht recipe" is substantial!

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The only version, so far as I am concerned.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hmmm, I am having trouble with exact transliteration because the last letter and sound in the word борщ doesn't exist in English. As for Yiddish, I don't know the answer to that since I only know a few words.

27. Aimless

Aimless Active Member

Here it is, as promised. It is outstanding.

Borscht
    Based on the recipe in the Victory Garden cookbook, the best vegetable cookbook I know. This recipe is made in two parts. It's messy but you end up with a huge amount and I think it must be very nutritious with all those veggies. Amounts of the vegetable ingredients below are flexible plus or minus. It is served cold, traditionally accompanied by hearty black bread with sweet butter.
    Part one:
    1 large onion, chopped, 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
    2 stalks celery, sliced, 2 cups peeled potatoes, chopped
    2 medium beets,chopped, 3 cans beef broth (I use College Inn, 14oz cans)
    2 cloves garlic, black pepper, chopped fresh parsley, 1 teasp salt
    4 cups water, 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    In very large soup pot, saute the onion and celery in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until softened and browning. Add all other ingredients and simmer slowly for 30-45 minutes until tender. Blend briefly in blender or food processor. Don't overblend, it should be a thick puree. Return it to the pot. Meanwhile:
    Part two:
    2 cups shredded beets, Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
    1 cup shredded carrot, 2 cups reduced fat sour cream
    3 cups shredded cabbage, Garnish: more sour cream, snipped fresh dill
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Saute the beets, carrot and cabbage slowly in oil in a large skillet until softened, mellow, fragrant and starting to brown. Add these to the soup base when it goes back in the pot. Simmer briefly until vegetables are barely tender. Keep the burner low to preserve the shocking red color. The vegetables will keep cooking for quite a while after you take that huge pot off the heat. Add the lemon juice and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
    When ready to serve, whisk the sour cream to liquify it, the mix a few ladles of soup into it. When this is smooth, mix it into the big soup pot. This makes the final product smoother. Correct the seasoning and add more lemon juice if desired. Serve in big bowls with another dollop of sour cream and snipped dill as garnish.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Aimless brought up something important: regardless of your borshch recipe, tradition has it that it always tastes better the day after you make it. So make it the day before and let it rest in the fridge so the flavors can marry. :swoon:

29. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

That letter is troublesome, it's supposed to sound like the 'sh' and ch' in fresh cheese, but actually getting that result is not that easy, at least, I don't think so.

These recipes sound so good, but the heat index is around 100 degrees here, so I think I'll wait for some cooler weather.:(

30. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

Thank you, Aimless! It does sound a little labor intensive - but yummy!!