boots and blades - where to begin?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by fan, Sep 20, 2010.

1. fan

fan Active Member

hi all,

i'm looking for a primer on boot and blade selection. in the past, i've just gone to the local skate shop, where they've fit me with whatever they think is best. i hated my last pair of skates (well, the boots - risport supercristallo, don't really know the difference between blades).

i'm looking for a new pair and i dont know where to start.
    i'm an adult skater, 5 ft, 140 lbs. size 6.5 normal shoes
    i'm working on dances (jr silver - foxtrot, harris, rocker etc.) and I occasionally freeskate (but really prefer dancing). Singles up to axel, really enjoy spinning.

can anyone help?

thanks!

2. fan

fan Active Member

oh, forgot to add that what i hate about my current skates is the heel - my heel is constantly slipping around in the boots, and they took forever to break in and are very uncomfortable. still get major blisters without gel socks (3 years later!).

blade help would be great too - i'm on MK coronation ace. I don't mind them, but any suggestions as to other types would be helpful too!

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I had Risport Super Cristallos for many years (because they were the only boots available to me that came in larger sizes) and they are *very* difficult boots for lower-level skaters. They are very stiff and do not break down easily - as you found out. My skate shop only recommends them for high level ice dancers who have very deep knee bend and are really tough on boots.

I have had Coronation Ace blades for most of the time I've been skating and have been very happy with them. And I know skaters who are doing everything up to and including triple jumps on them.

But as far as recommending something, this is what works (or doesn't work) for me - something else might be better for you. If your heels are slipping (one or both?) you might need a narrower boot, or custom boots. If you don't trust your skate shop's advice, is there another shop with a good reputation you can go to?

4. fan

fan Active Member

i'm not sure. Can anyone recommend anything other than the figure skating boutique in Toronto?

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I pretty much used Coronation Ace blades since I started skating. Now have Coronoation Dance. Just really good basic blade.

If you like dancing then maybe get dance boots. I do single jumps in my Jackson dance boots.

6. fan

fan Active Member

this sounds really silly, but what is the difference between dance boots/blades and regular boots/blades?

sorry for all of the silly questions, but we're really starting from scratch here...

7. overedge

Dance boots are cut lower in the back and a little lower in the front. And some blades that dancers like have a slightly shorter tail (off the heel) so there's less to trip on.

That being said, if you're doing jr. silver dances, you should be just fine with regular boots and blades. The only people I know who buy the low-cut dance boots are senior competitive dancers.

By "the figure skating boutique in Toronto" do you mean Jerry's?

8. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

That store is very reputable. Go back to them, explain your issues with the boots you got. How much are you willing to spend? Perhaps they looked for a less expensive boot for you at the time and if you can afford more go for it. I have Gams now and I have a wider toe box and narrower heel. They work terrific. I'm on jr silver dances as well, and i made sure not to get the higher end boots but kinda the mid range level. The blade you have now is great and does the trick....

9. fan

fan Active Member

does anyone have a link to what boots/blades are recommended for each level?
    thanks!

10. overedge

I don't think there is such a list, because it would be misleading to generalize. What is "right" for each level really varies by skater. Generally, the stiffer boots and heavier blades are for more advanced skaters. But as I mentioned above, there are people doing doubles/triples in Coronation Ace blades...there are also skaters doing those jumps in Gold Seal blades, which are much more heavy duty and have bigger toepicks.

You probably wouldn't need high end boots and blades for learn-to-skate, even if you could afford them, (in fact, they might discourage you because they would be heavy and stiff). But what is best beyond that really depnds on the individual skater and what they feel comfortable with.

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

There are people I know who have gone with the biggest and best because they can, not because of what they need.

12. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

exactly!

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

14. fan

fan Active Member

thank you all!