Boot styles this Fall

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by pennavenue, Oct 19, 2010.

1. pennavenue

pennavenue New Member

Looks like the over-the-knee style of boot isn't going away yet. I guess some girls can pull it off, but it's never really been for me. I'm more of a casual boots type of person. What styles are you wearing?

2. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I like wearing ankle boots with at least a 3" heel. I have several pairs of closed toe ones and also an open toe pair.

I do want to get a pair of boots that come up to the knee to wear with skirts, but I'm not sure how they'd look on me.

As far as the over the knee boots, I think they look trashy/sexy -- too much for me. :lol:

3. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Ankle boots with pants, up to the knee with skirts/dresses, both about a 3 inch heel. Haven't worn the ankle boots with a skirt or dress yet.

Over the knee boots would not be appropriate for my office, but I do like the look.

4. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

I don't own a single pair of boots. lol I am finally going to buy some this winter; I'll have to bring someone with me to help me lol. I'm clueless about boots!

5. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I like the up to the knee boots with a pair of skinny jeans but unfortunately my @ss is too huge at the moment to be able to pull that off lol! I swear it's growing twice as fast as everything else with this pregnancy.

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Mostly ankle boots, with both pants and skirts.. I don't know about the rest of you, but to the knee or higher boots tend to be too tight around my former skater calves to be comfortable.

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

In general, if you have great legs and are not either short or heavy, they'll look fine. But if you are short or heavy, or your legs aren't up to the sky, my suggestion would be to buy boots that come up to the knee to the point where your skirt overlaps the boot. This connection between skirt and boot will make it so there is no "break" line, and your leg won't look cut off, and thus shorter.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

I have the same problem, due to being a former gymnast now turned skater. My calves are curvy and very, shall I say... solid. I am strong, like bull. ;) But there are some brands of boots that come in a wider calf, and those can work for me.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

That kind of thing does happen... And sometimes, afterwards, things shrink back up; and sometimes, they're never the same again... ;)

10. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I bought these last year and it looks like they are still in. I call them my "motorcycle cop" boots. I also have the large calves issue, but I find that designers seem to be making boots a little more roomy around the calves these days.

I have three other pairs of up-to-the-knee boots: one brown suede, one brown leather, and one funky green cowboy style. I also have brown ankle boots, brown cowboy boots, and black mid-calf suede boots for cold and snowy weather. I am a boot addict and I need help, which reminds me, I don't have black ankle boots or any over-the-knee boots at all.

11. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

4 pair: low heel riding style boots in black & brown and high heel (3") in black & brown. No ankle boots anymore, as I've decided they look silly.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I live in a small beach town in the South that has many retirees. Daytime wear is decidedly conservative and casual. I was in the grocery store on Sunday afternoon and this really attractive woman was in the produce area. She was wearing black over the knee boots, almost too short black skirt and a black sleeveless shirt with black FEATHERS all over it! :eek: She looked like a high priced call girl - not trashy, but definitely too sexy for Sunday afternoon grocery shopping. All the retired grandpas were killing themselves trying not to stare :lol:

13. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I love laced boots so I bought these recently and they're just fab.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I wear ankle boots with boot cut slacks to work all the time. I like wedge heels (more comfortable) that are about 3.5 inches high.

I also like wearing slouchy knee length boots with skirts and sweater dresses, also on at least 3.5 inch heels but not to work--inappropriate as our office dress code is pretty conservative.

Finally I wear boots that resemble Uggs but are cuter IMO with skinny jeans.

I can't wear over the knee boots or ankle boots with skirts since it makes me look shorter.

15. Bev Johnston

Those are similar to my snow boots. Very cute! I want another pair but I have to refrain. There is no reason for me to own another pair of boots!

The classic Ugg style puts the "ug" in ugly. I did see some cute Uggs last fall but they were very pricey.

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

You have no idea how hysterically funny "horse people" are finding the current trend in "equestrian-look" boots. To the point of people asking us where we got ours--"Uh, from the tack shop, ten years ago, when I needed custom-upper tall boots with zippers in..." Even more laughable are the patched knee breeches. We've been wearing them for years, now we're finally "in"!

17. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I like ankle boots with pants since they're more comfy than knee highs under pants. I like boots like these with skinny jeans or leggings. I'll admit I do have a pair of regular Uggs, and yes they are ugly, but at 6am in the freezing cold when I'm walking the dog they're the best thing I've ever owned.

18. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I have 3 boots that go almost up to my knees. One is brown leather that's "horse riding" style with maybe 1/2 inch heels. One brown basic brown leather one with 2 maybe 3 inch heels. One black suede pointy boots has a button on the top part with 3 inch stiletto heels. I also have pastel plaid rain boots that I purchased at Target and this one is not a tall as the other 3.
    I personally can't stand the over the knee boots. Reminds me of hookers, ala Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman!

19. myhoneyhoney

Hah, tell me about it. Took me 11 years to get back to pre-preggo weight. I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of my wrinkled and stretch marked tummy without a tummy tuck! blech

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I need some cute ankle boots - I want a wedge heel, mostly. I have three pairs that I wear - black leather ones that are about calf length, brown ones that are that soft leather (I can't remember the English word for it) and shorter mid-calf ones brown ones. I used to have BearPaws as well, but I need a new pair of those.

I have skinny legs so calf high ones are not a problem for me.

21. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I wear something like this. I drive 30 miles to work each way, on the highway. I need the warmth (my feet are cold all winter anyways!), and I certainly don't need heels when I'm trying to walk across snow and ice!

I know PL will be mortified, but at some point, safety and the possibility of broken bones does outweigh fashion. Sorry.

22. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Ooh, those are friggin awesome!! Where did you buy them? I have an insanely high instep, and most boots have such a "flat" profile that I can't get over my heel unless they lace or zip.

I recently caved on the "bootie" trend and got these from Payless. They look hot under jeans, and the low profile doesn't cover my ankle bone and so I don't look stumpy with tights and a skirt.

What I really need is rain boots, though - and ones that I can tuck my pants into. Uggs are not good in the rain and too warm besides. I've yet to find a pair that fits over my heel, is wide enough in the toe box and also wide enough to fit over my skater calves.

23. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

I too have a long commute & don't like wearing heels to drive or walk long distances. I wear flats or sneakers to drive in and leave my nice shoes/boots in my file cabinet. Helps to make shoes last longer and reduces risk :)

24. Bev Johnston

I love this style. It's kind of like the men's wear for women fashion that was popular in the 90's. I was actually eyeing a pair of these at Famous Footwear.

25. pennavenue

pennavenue New Member

I tend to buy more casual boots for fall and winter. I love the look of stilettos and have a pair for going out, but as for day-to-day boots (I have to walk to and from the subway everyday) I need a flat, comfortable boot. I started working with Sperry and they let me try out these Bayshore boots. I love them because they are comfortable to walk in, and (bonus) they lace up so you can loosen or tighten them depending on how big/small your calves are.

26. myhoneyhoney

Speaking of Sperry, I LOVE these tall rain boots. I'm normally a 5-5.5 so I'm wondering if the 6 will work.

These are cute too, AND it has a wedge to elongate the leg line!

27. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I bought them on ebay but they're by "Tamaris" a German label.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

As mentioned, cute, warm and comfy are not mutually exclusive.

29. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I like the suede ankle boots with some faux fur on the edge to wear with my jeans. I also like the knee high boots in leather. I don't like the type that go over the knee, but the ones that go up to the knee are nice :)

30. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I am looking to invest in a pair of boots that are stylish and will last for at least a few years. I have about a $400-$500 price range and I am interested in any input for good boots for men.