Boot question

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by misskarne, Mar 28, 2014.

1. misskarne

misskarne #408

My first pair of skates - and to date, my only pair - are a pair of Jackson Elites that were just over a year old when I bought them second-hand from a lady whose daughter had outgrown them. They have done me three-and-a-bit years so far, and done everything I've asked of them...until now.

Here's my only problem: I don't feel like I can justify shelling out $400-$500 on new boots. (And that's if I buy them overseas...)

I'm approximately 5 feet 8 inches (or 9, I've never been good at conversions) but my weight is the real problem when it comes to boot stiffness. Let's just politely say I'm over 200 pounds. That is in the process of being rectified but for now that's what I'm working with.

I'm half-tempted to try the Premiere or the Freestyle. I'm currently working on my Lutz and hope to be working on the Axel within the next year or two.

Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If you were in Elites, I think he Freestyle would be too light for you; but the Premier's might work if you can get them.

I'm 60 pounds lighter than you, but now that I'm not jumping anymore, I can't lace my Premiers all the way up because they are too stiff. I refuse to buy new skates to get ones more appropriate to my "doesn't skate anymore" level.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm with Skittl, switching to a much lower-level boot doesn't sound like the best plan of action if you plan on working on harder jumps. If you already know your size in this particular brand, did you already try all the online stores and their sales? http://shoprainbo.com/womens-figure...kates/figure-skate-brands/jackson-skates.html or this http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Clearance-Skates-Accessories_c91.htm? Ebay sometimes has good deals from pro shops clearing past inventories as well. Problem with these is you won't be able to return them, but if you're sure about your size, that shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW, I skate in Jackon elite plus skates, but don't really have anything other than singles. Axels occasionally show up and I have landed double sals before I destroyed my knee. Adults tend to use higher level boots since a lot of the boot recommendations are based on kids who skate, so they weigh less than us no matter what.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. treesprite

treesprite Member

It could be that the current boots were never really so stiff because they were used & already broken in, meaning that the next level down might still be at least as stiff as the used Elites were at time of purchase. If that's the case, then it seems like it would be ok to go down. But if it isn't, using a lower level boot might not be a good idea.

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I have to say, I just started learning to jump, and them higher I try to jump, the worse the fact my boots are fairly stiff seems to be...I can't bend my knees or ankles as deep as I feel like I ought to really control landing on the edge and not the flat. I feel like it's my job, not the boot's, to hold myself up, but instead I'm kind of slamming down with no give. I begin to understand that article in GSD someone posted where an OSU study is finding the super-stiff boots are causing injuries and aren't biomechanically sound. It just feels wrong landing with so much locked around the ankle.

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Does your coach have suggestions? I know that $400 is a lot of money, but remember this is your FEET you're talking about, and if your boots don't fit properly and aren't the correct degree of stiffness you open yourself up to potential injuries.

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Freestyle isn't a step down, it is way lower. It's for 80 pound kids doing low doubles or adults just starting freestyle.
    Freestyle, then Competitor, then Premier. Then I think elite but I'm not 100% sure there isn't another one.

You're right you don't want overly stiff boots, so new elites may be too much if yours were well worn.

8. misskarne

misskarne #408

I haven't asked my coach yet. I will at my lesson today.

You're absolutely right, though. It was something I wasn't thinking properly about til just then. And with my dodgy genetics that means I almost certainly am going to have my hips shot to pieces in the next ten years or so, I ought to look after things a bit better.

Thanks for the info :)

9. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Yes, and yes. You do get what you pay for, for the most part. Also, don't be obsessed with stiffness. As someone else mentioned, boots that are too stiff result in other problems. A friend of mine had purchased used custom Harlicks that were a deal but they were also giving her knee problem because she couldn't really bend her ankle or have any lateral flex (you do need a little--you don't want cement shoes). Her knee was absorbing all the stress. She was thinking of having knee surgery until I suggested getting a more flexible boot. She got her own custom Harlicks that were much more flexible and her knee problems went away. Her skating has improved tremendously. Basically, I would shell out the money for a new pair of boots that are appropriate for you. And please see a proper boot fitter to discuss your needs. There may be other models or brands to consider. Remember that everyone's feet are different and that a brand or model that works for one person may not work for another. And please don't compromise because of price. You will regret it. I did. I didn't want to pay for a new pair of custom boots (I had used Harlick for years) and instead thought I could get away with cheaper stock boots from other manufacturers. Four pairs of dreadful skates later, I stopped experimenting because the money I had spent on unsatisfactory skates was far more than I would have paid for a new pair of customs to begin with. So please don't try to do this on the cheap. Go to a proper skate shop and be professionally fitted to determine what boot you need for your skating. It may cost more at first, but you will be glad in the long run.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  10. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Yes. This is true. Boots that are too stiff cause problems. Many skaters develop stress fractures and back problems as a result. You want the boots to work WITH you, not against you. The ideal boot situation is when you are not thinking about them at all on the ice. It sounds like your skates are a few models too stiff despite what manufacturers might have you believe.