boot question for returning skaters

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by ronniev, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ronniev

ronniev New Member

wanted to see if anyone had any recommendation for a good pair of boots that doesnt take so long to break in. i used to skate more often when i was in college maybe like twice a week. so i had sp teri customs and they took a couple months to break in going twice a week and doing jumps (up to axel/some inconsistent doubles). after several years off, i'm back in love with skating but my old sp teri customs are on their way to being broken down. and my feet are always in such pain. think abscess teeth for the arches. i need to get a new pair, but since i dont skate as hard as i used to, i'm wondering if there is a better boot out there than having to go through breaking in the customs.

any suggestions?

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I heard good things about Edea's when it comes to a short break-in period. http://www.edeaskates.com/

My own Jackson elites weren't bad at all in terms of having a short break-in time, either, but that depends on how much people skate and what level boots they end up buying.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Were your old SP-Teris heat moldable? I've found the modern, heat-moldable boots to have less break in time (tons less) than the older boots did.

That said, I have also heard good things about the Edeas, specifically.

4. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

I was kind of where you were - jump wise. I never found customs much better than stock boots. When I broke in boots, I just tied them up looser at first and packed them full of foam rubber in all the sensitive areas. I never let the break-in process slow me down.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Gams also have really good heat-moldable boots that break in quite comfortably (at least IME).

6. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Zero break-in time with my Edeas. The Klingbeils I had before that were pretty good that way too, but that was before the ownership change. (I switched to Edeas for cost reasons.)

7. ronniev

ronniev New Member

thanks all! i've never heard of edeas--i'm going to look them up. how long do they last you?

8. littlerain

littlerain New Member

I'm wearing riedell 133s and they didn't take much to feel comfortable. I've read that Jackson's are easy as well, and a lot of the people in my adult class seem to like theirs :)

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Edeas have lots of levels of boots- beginner freestyle to skaters jumping quads. So how long they last depends on you and the model.

Edeas have been getting a lot of wear by elites.
    Lots of kids at our rink have them. Apparently they are quite comfortable.

10. ronniev

ronniev New Member

so i took a look at the edeas (how do you pronounce that by the way). do they work with regular blades, such as phantoms? or do you need to get edeas blades too?

11. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Edeas will work with any blade just like a leather boot. One thing though - make sure that the person mounting the blades has some experience with Edea - the screws (which will come with your boots) are not the same as the standard mounting screws - different hardware for the composite materials. Most busy pro shops and skate shops have experience with Edea these days - if you're in doubt, ask Edea who should mount your blades.

12. ronniev

ronniev New Member

great--thanks! looks like i have to go to anaheim to find an edea dealer.

btw, what edea models do you guys recommend for someone doing axels/working on doubles?

13. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Don't know. I (actually we, a small group of us) had a discussion with Ilia Kulik about Edea's when he switched over to them from Graf - he was so enthusiastic about them and still is. He did say though that they do soften, with jumping, a little more quickly than traditional boots. He continues to use Edea, his daughter Lisa who has a double axel uses them and now Katia does too - so they're an Edea family. My thought though is that since the composite material and molding eliminate fit and break-in issues for most folks then you can't perhaps overboot yourself to the extent you can in traditional boots so get the best you can afford. I am sure Edea has, like all boot makers, recommendations of which model goes with which elements/jumps. If you can't find it, call Edea USA - the guy who runs it is, I have been told, very accommodating and helpful.

14. ronniev

ronniev New Member

thanks willowway!

15. Morgail

Morgail New Member

I'm in the market for new boots and blades, too, so this is really interesting. I'm skating only a couple days a week, so a shorter break-in time sounds awesome! I definitely need custom arch supports built in, though. Will have to look more into this!

(I think I'm getting old, though...I'm not overly fond of the way the sole on the Edeas look. Kind of like it was painted, or plastic-looking? Gah, I'm old!)

16. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Risports! I swore by them when I was still skating. :))

Kecasyl likes this.
  17. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I don't like the look either, especially the ice fly, which is what the elites wear. Mine have a sort of brown/beige heel.

To warn you, if you switch from something else to Edeas, don't be surprised if they feel really funny at first, like your foot is too close to the blade. It felt to me like being in hockey skates. I got used to it pretty quickly, though. It's because the sole is thinner and of different material than traditional skates.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I had Risports for several years because I had no choice (couldn't get any other boots in my size). It wasn't until I was able to wear another manufacturer's boots that I realized how stiff the Risports were. I think they're good boots for people who skate strongly enough to break them down , but they're not for everyone.

19. vickko

vickko New Member

I am breaking in a new pair of Jackson Elites. I've had them three weeks or so, skating roughly 4 times a week.

So far so good, but the landing foot boot seems to be more difficult to feel perfectly comfortable than the other.

Maybe my landing technique isn't quite right, making things just that much more worse. e.g. I can't seem to get as much knee bend on my right leg, and the boot/tongue feels like it has bruised my leg, which affects my feeling for going into jumps.

But trying different lacing techniques and more time on warming up; this seems to help.

I would have liked to have tried Graf Edmonton's, but much more expensive and I'm guessing would have been longer to break in.

20. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I'm with Ilia Kulik. I'm an adult skater. Been skating regularly since 1995. I just switched from Grafs to Edea over the holidays and I am absolutely thrilled. I thought I would never really find a boot I really like. Easiest break-in ever. They have forward flex from the get-go without having to break in a crease near the ankles. The flex is somehow in the tongue. You have to tie them differently than regular boots. I only have gel pads on my inside ankle bones. Otherwise I've had no sore spots at all. They are light too...almost like tennis shoes but with really good support. I'm a fan and can see why so many elite skaters have made the switch. I think they are a little ugly but who cares when they make skating so fun and pleasant!

21. ronniev

ronniev New Member

thanks for the feedback! i'll need to find a dealer in the la area. don't feel comfortable ordering over the internet without some sort of fitting

22. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

I wear custom Klingbeil. They have pretty much zero break-in period. (In the past, I've used Riedell, Harlick, SPTeri, Jackson, and Risport. ) I've never had skates be so pain-free from the beginning. I'm on my second pair. And they last forever. I had the first pair for 8 years.

23. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Yeah. Not a fan of Risport. I had a pair for several years. Although the fit was amazing, they were deceptively stiff and I was in utter pain for a good year. They're still not broken down--and I'm hard on skates. The soles eventually rotted out and because of the way they are constructed, the soles can't be replaced.

24. cw-nyc

cw-nyc New Member

After wearing Riedells as a teenager I came back to skating and got a pair of Jackson Premieres. I do all single jumps now but hope to be going back to doubles eventually. As a result the skate fitter had me consider the stiffer Jackson Elites but like you I had bad memories of long break-in periods so I went with the lighter boot. After the heat molding, I had never had such an easy break-in period - maybe it took 4 hours to feel perfectly comfortable. They should last me into axel/double sal/double toe and if they break down after that I will feel it was well worth it. That said I have a friend whose Jackson Competitors have never fit her quite right, so you really do need to try boots on and see what fits your feet.

I didn't go with Edea because I wanted to re-use my old Pattern 99 blades and Edeas run shorter in sole length for the same size foot/boot so it just wasn't possible for me. I've been very happy with my Jacksons.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  25. Casey

Casey New Member

I have Klingbeils (actually I first considered SP Teri after getting to borrow a friend's pair that fit me to try, but opted for Klingbeil and have no regrets), and you could order them in different stiffnesses - you could order them soft, and though mine aren't particularly soft, they weren't uncomfortable to break in, aside from some initial pain where my ankle bones stick out. They are getting even more comfortable as time goes on, but not worse. Klingbeil changed ownership, fired Don, and is now bankrupt. Most of the original staff is now at Avanta (http://www.avantaskatingboots.com), and they are pretty similar; it's where I'll be ordering my next custom boots from. Their skates by default have a carbon fiber layer between the leather to make them lighter weight, but I spoke with them and they said they can make a traditional all-leather boot as well. In addition to making customs, they are also making stock sizes, which may or may not work for you at a lower cost. For custom boots, they use STS casting to have a copy of your whole foot, which should allow for even better fit than other companies are doing based on measurements and a foot-bottom impression.

J-Ro likes this.
  26. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Yes. I am a huge fan of the original Klingbeils (I have one of the last pairs made in Queens). For my next pair, I, too, will be exploring Avanta. I am not a fan of heat-moldable boots. I have found that paying more for quality up front is less expensive than experimenting with a bunch of less-expensive boots. I thought I would go the less-expensive route after my Harlicks wore out (which I still also love, by the way) and ended up paying more in the long run after buying several pairs of Jacksons and Risports, none of which I was impressed with. I tried Klingbeil because my coach uses them and I also happened to be working in New York at the time. The boots are exquisite.