Books moral and immoral

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was translated from German? "die" (pronounced 'dee') is one of the several "the"s in German. I second the recommendation for Lansing's book on Shackleton's expedition. He had a LOT of original photos and diaries and was able to interview a few of the men who'd been on the expedition. It's a really, really gripping book and I just kept saying, "Oh my gosh, I don't know HOW they did this" over and over through the book.

Since I enjoyed The Eyre Affair, I figured I'd try another Jasper Fforde and checked out The Big Over Easy at the library. Set in the Nursery Crimes Division of the police, all about Humpty Dumpty's great fall. Fun so far, but definitely similar in tone to The Eyre Affair, so now I'm wondering if Fforde ever writes anything that isn't glib satire. :)

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Five (Echo Burning) is generally considered a rather weak entry. But 11 (Bad Luck and Trouble) and 12 (Nothing to Lose) are the ones to skip--11 is just plain insulting to your intelligence and 12 is just bad.

That, or it's an e-book that was scanned, which often results in strange things, depending on the font in the original.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I have made a note :)

Still can't believe Tom Cruise got the role, but I guess that's the power of Tom Cruise. According to IMDB, also considered for the role were Brad Pitt (maybe), Hugh Jackman (don't like him at all), Vince Vaughn (don't see it), Jamie Foxx (no way), and Will Smith (don't see it either).

Personally, my first thought was John Cusack - not blonde, but very tall, brooding, sexy, just not sure if he could kick ass. Other option is Alex O'Loughlin, who already plays an ex military type on Hawaii 5-0, can convincingly kick ass, and is very :grope:.

4. Prancer

The director said that there are no actors in Hollywood who can fit the physical requirements, so that was out, and after that, they looked from an actor who could do silent but intense with lots of action.

Dunno. I haven't felt the need to see it, although people who have have told me it's a pretty good action flick. I just can't picture him in the role and haven't quite reached the point where I am willing to let that go.

That's the problem with movies based on books--they hardly ever match the story you saw in your head.

5. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Years ago, all the while I was reading The Prince of Tides, Jeff Bridges was my Tom Wingo. It actually came as a shock to me when Nick Nolte was cast in that role.

6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'm still bitter about the casting for Practical Magic. One of my favorite books and they ruined it! (shakes fist in the direction of Hollywood). :lol: Ooh - that might be a good topic. "Worst casting of a book". I think Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon is another horrid choice.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Huh, sometimes it helps to not have read the book. Who do you think should have been cast in Practical Magic, dbell1? What was different about the book characters?

8. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'm finally on the last stretch of One of Ours. Our Hero just arrived in France and I am really curious how Cather will handle his combat experiences. She all but omitted his experiences in boot camp.

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I was actually shocked when I read Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera and learned that Christine was supposed to be a blonde. Of course, he never met Sarah Brightman :p

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The Time Traveller's Wife :scream:

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Dear Kindle: While I adore the 3G feature, I think I must go to Nook. I realize BN's customer service is not considered all that great, but at least it's somewhat competent. I continually have the same issue with multiple phantom accounts. Three years ago, my Kindle stopped working. I call, they tell me it's because I somehow have two accounts--my Kindle is attached to one and my credit card to another. Fine, whatever, I could see maybe I created an Amazon account a long time ago and forgot about it and when I got the Kindle created a new one.

A few months later, my Kindle stops downloading. I call and they say, oh, you have multiple accounts! We can close those! Fine.

Account stops working AGAIN. I figured it was because I had to close my credit card because it was hacked...but I did get a late bday present from my brother for a gift card on Amazon so it should still work. Call about that and low and behold I have FOUR accounts. All with the same password and emails. Gift card is somehow on the account not attached to the Kindle. I feel a bit bad about it but I went off on the poor girl tech. I don't know if it's a follow through issue or a language issue. (All the techs I've spoken to have beautiful English speaking skills, but I'm thinking their comprehension skills are lacking).

I'm going on a business trip for two weeks starting next week. If I don't have this resolved by Monday, I'm buying a Nook.

ArtemisBC--that would explain why the writing style vastly improved :rofl:

12. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

The above post is why I prefer my "real" books! ;)

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Ugh, Matry, that sucks. For what it's worth, my experience with B&N customer service has been very positive. The techs are quick and knowledgeable; and I've had my Nook replaced with no questions asked.

What's going to happen to your books, though? :(

14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

So they went for someone who was as far from meeting those requirements as humanly possible. The logic of Hollywood. :lol:

15. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I read 'The Good House' tonight. A Massachusetts real estate agent in denial about her alcoholism. Interesting book. Still deciding if I liked it.

Finished "Unbroken" last night. WOW! It grabbed me from the beginning and floored me. It'll stay with me a long time. Next 'real' book up is "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker". Also have "A Year of Wonders, a Novel of the Plague' on my kindle (library book). I think I need some light reading soon. :shuffle:

16. quartz

"A Year of Wonders" is well, wonderful. Don't let the topic scare you off, as Geraldine Brooks is able to take such a dark subject, and tell the tale with incredible beauty.
    She also wrote "People of the Book" a novel which was inspired by the Sarajevo Haggadah. For anyone who loves the history and the journey through time of old books, this is a fascinating read.

17. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

This one's going on my list, too. Thanks for the recommendation.

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Quartz. I'm fascinated by that period of history anyway, and the reviews looked good. I'm already a few chapters into Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, so I'll finish that first and then head back in time to the plague.

The next holds due in at the library is "Beyond the Beautiful Forevers" and "Z" a book about Zelda Fitzgerald. Looked interesting. Still waiting for "Team of Rivals". That one is taking forever!

19. Prancer

Now, now. They could have gone with Linda Hunt :lol:.

Unbroken is really good.

Matry, did you get things worked out with Amazon?

20. quartz

dbell1, " Beyond the Beautiful Forevers" is on my list of TBR as well! Unfortunately it is a really long list.....

21. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I loved Brooks' Year of Wonders and also March, with the father from Little Women as the main character. Did not likeCaleb's Crossing nearly so much as those two.

22. quartz

I have "March" on my shelf as well. Read the first chapter of "Caleb's Crossing", and found it didn't quite grab me either. But I love Geraldine Brooks's writing, so I may give it a try again another time.

23. Clytie

Clytie Member

I read it awhile ago and was really enjoying it up until the end. It won't be on my reread list. But I did like her writing style. Basically I like books that don't make me think too hard but don't treat me like a complete idiot. I have to read enough brain draining books for work.

I just got into Karin Slaughter in the last month and am really enjoying her. I like not only her writing but her characters as well. The subject matter is pretty grisly, but then I spent most of the nineties reading books about serial killers so that alone won't turn me off. I am on book 3 of her Will Trent series Undone which has Sara Lipton who, apparently, was the main character in her first book series. So now I am torn. Do I stop reading and go back and read the Lipton books or continue on and read them later?

Thanks for the link. I have been a member for awhile but honestly haven't really engaged with anyone on the site because I am a sporadic visitor at best. I do read many reviews and find them usually helpful. Hopefully Amazon won't mess with the forum but I do notice now on my desktop that I keep getting popups on the site. I don't get them on my laptop though. Its actually been really annoying. Now I think I know why. They all are book offers. Since I ended up destroying my Kindle I just downloaded the program onto the laptop and read my books there. Its not as convenient but I don't feel like replacing it. I need that 120 dollars for other things.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Dark Places is a much more satisfying read than Gone Girl overall, if you liked her writing style but the ending of GG irritated you. :)

25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Done with Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. Have now downloaded the free book of Mrs. Keckley, the dressmaker. Interesting glimpse into the life of the Lincolns and Washington DC in the war. The author kept droning on about a quilt, then I find out she's written tons of historical type books with quilts. Who knew there were people into quilt fiction? :lol:

Does anyone have a good book to recommend about Mary Todd Lincoln?

Up next, the plague. :shuffle:

26. Prancer

27. quartz

So, because I am a bookseller, I read some books that are not of interest to me at all, as I feel it is necessary to have a feel for what is popular and/or hyped.

I have just read "Beautiful Creatures", the first in a teen series that was recently made into a movie. It didn't make me want to rip my hair out like "Twilight" did, so that is a good thing. It was all rather predictable, but the writing wasn't awful and it moves along at a good clip, and there is some good character development, so it is something I can recommend for about 12 and up.

Then, I read "S.E.C.R.E.T." which is being hyped as the next 50 Shades (ugh). I do not care for the Romance genre at all, but it is one of the best selling departments in my store, and so every now and then I bite the bullet and close my eyes and pull one off the shelf. Premise was dumb and subject was cliched; mousy wallflower type woman discovers sex with strangers and is transformed into gorgeous desirable woman that every man wants. The sex was not explicit and boring; did not titillate me at all. The main character did show considerable growth and insight, but it is not a book I will put my name on as a "Staff Picks".

I need a cleansing, and not sure if I want to re-read an old favorite, or pick one of the 75 un-reads I have sitting on my shelves! :)

28. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Thanks Zemgirl and Prancer for the recommendations. I tried Courtney Milan and was not impressed, and I don't like Julia Quinn either, but I'll give the other ones a go. Recently, I tried Beautiful Disaster because it's recommended EVERYWHERE in the publishing trades, but it was awful.

I'm just so damn picky. I'll ready just about every genre except horror or sci fi (I like fantasy though--I draw a big line between the two), but I'll only like four or five authors in each genre.

If anyone can give me a series that's similar to Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs that is not Jim Butcher, Carrie Vaughn, Kim Harrison, or Kerrelyn Sparks, I'd be really grateful. I like the Dresden Files OK (got tired of it quickly) but the rest :yikes: Maybe I need to go to a physical bookstore and just browse the shelves.

I read Gone Girl a few months ago, I liked it but I wouldn't want to read a lot of books like that. I had no problem with the ending; I think it ended the way it had to end. I normally hate books where the main characters are intentionally unlikeable as I tend to read for characterization, but she's such a skilled writer I recommended it anyway.

29. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Not the plague, but a pretty good novel set during the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic is The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen. I read it a good while back and enjoyed it.

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh no, who recommended that one?! Everything I've heard about it makes me certain I'd hate it. If you're willing to try New Adult you should definitely go with Tammara Webber and not Jamie McGuire.

I think it's just difficult to find someone whose tastes are similar enough that most recommendations will work. I do have another idea, though - have you read anything by Meljean Brook? I don't think her name's come up yet and it might work for you. I've only read The Iron Duke, and since I'm not really into steampunk I stopped with that, but I think she writes very well and the world-building is great. I've also heard good things about Riveted and her the Iron Seas series in general could be worth trying (there's also her Guardian series, which is PNR).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.