Books moral and immoral

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Tried reading The Tiger's Wife, decided it wasn't for me. Also dumped a Kristen Hannah book a few pages in. Read "The Second Messiah" by Glenn Mead, interesting premise, but really annoying at points - I hate 3 page chapters where everything's a cliffhanger and stuff ends off page. Now loving "Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child." Love. Very dense at almost 600 pages, but so much fun to find out her very interesting back story and knowing she wasn't really a good cook for many years. :lol:

2. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Finished reading "Former People" which I think was mentioned on this thread a while back. Not a light read- about the fate of the Russian aristocracy after the revolution. Very well written and researched, and a part of 20th century history which has not been well documented until now. Looking forward to Douglas Smith's next book which he has said will be about Rasputin.

After that I needed lighter reading- so I read the latest CS Harris paperback "When Maidens Mourn"- in her regency mystery series. This has become my favourite historical mystery series since Kate Ross's. I love the complex relationship between the hero, Sebastian and his wife. Also I started a new 1920s mystery- by Frances Brody "Dying in the Wool", which looks like a promising series- I like her detective Kate Shackelton- I'll wait for the next one to come in paperback- it's only in hardcover in my local bookstore.

3. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Just read Elin Hilderbrand's Summerland. This is the second of hers that I've read, and I am becoming a fan. Her characters are interesting and multi-dimensional, and she gives equal weight to the males and females which is fairly unusual.

4. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm reading Sharon Newman's medieval mystery "Death Comes as Epiphany", the first in her Catherine LeVendeur series. It's interesting historically: Catherine is 18 and a novice in the convent headed by Heloise of Heloise and Abelard fame. Although the two have long parted, the scandal refuses to die and Heloise sends Catherine back to her home in Paris to find a psalter that may have been altered to blacken Abelard. There Catherine faces her parent's wrath, her sister's spite and her uncle Roger's startling admiration, all of which upset her convent-bred sensibilities. When her old friend the stonemason is murdered right in front of her, she and the man's apprentice, Edgar, get involved in solving the crime because everyone in authority seems determined that the death was accidental.

It looks like an interesting series and there are a lot of volumes in print so it should keep me busy for a while.

5. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ Wow, I hadn't heard that! Time will tell, I guess.

7. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I've just started a nonfiction book called Bringing Mulligan Home; The Other Side of the Good War. It's written by the son of a WWII veteran who served in the Pacific. Though his father rarely spoke of his experiences, after his death, the author tracked down and interviewed others who shared his experiences. He found that as they got older, they seemed more willing to talk. I can tell it's not going to be the usual "good war" account, and I will probably be sobbing through most of it just like I usually am when I read about these men.

8. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I've been wanting to discuss Gone Girl with somebody!!! Holy Moley. I'm used to James Patterson and Janet Evanovich and "cozy" mysteries and stuff. This was torture. There was so much narrative, describing EVERY little thing, for the first chapter I almost fell asleep (or quit). But it was on the best seller list for months, so I kept going. And kept hoping they would all kill each other. Through Amy's diary entries, I kept thinking she must be suffering from passive-aggressive disorder, turned out much worse than that. And I figured she was going to be behind everything. Then I got to Part II and had to find out why and how. The end was so disappointing. I wanted him to follow her treasure hunt and find her dead body and that someone else, anyone else, everybody else, killed her!!!!! Maybe we could have that sequel - FINALLY Gone Girl. Waiting to ENJOY book 12 of James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series.

9. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I put it down about 1/3 of the way through and moved on. I'll probably finish it some day ...

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I finished Requiem, the last in the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver and it was so bad. I liked Pandemonium quite a bit, so it was a big disappointment. Not so much the ending, which I hear everyone complain about, but the fact that it was so damn boring and that I couldn't give a crap about the Lena/Julian/Alex triangle.

I'm not reading "The Painted Girls" by Cathy Marie Buchanan, about poor Parisian girls in the opera who become Degas' models. I'm liking it a lot, but now I want to smack Antoinette for being such a moron!

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

12. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Done with Dearie. Julia Child was interesting. Now want to make French food and drink. Not wine though, I'd get a migraine. :40beers: Rereading Bernard Cornwell's 'Archers Tale' trilogy since his new book 1356 seems to be a continuation of it. First one done in a night, I skimmed a lot since I remembered most of it. I love Cornwell, he loves bowmen.

On the table to be read (all library loans) Still Life With Crows, and Brimstone (more Pendergast); Cleopatra - a Life; 1356 (holding onto that for a few weeks until the others are done); and The Kitchen House. There's another 10 that I'm on the waiting list for. :shuffle:

13. zaphyre14

I found yet another box of old paperbacks yesterday and was drawn to Jean Plaidy's "The Bastard King" about William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda of Flanders.I know I must have read it before or I wouldn't have the book but I am really enjoying it. Nothing like a good well-written historical novel to start a new month! :)

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I grew up reading Jean Plaidy! In my early teens I discovered her books and spent ages devouring everything I could get my hands on. :) Totally shaped my later obsession with all things Tudor.

I finished Still Life With Crows, and gave up on Cleopatra. Too dry. The Kitchen House is in first person and the book is in poor shape - ripped and I swear there's a stain on the cover design. It's going back. :scream:

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I finished Ready Player One - a quick, engaging read! People seem to either really love it or hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle, leaning toward loving it - Gen Xers should enjoy it, although there are some significant storytelling flaws. Pseudo-Spoiler: PL will probably hate this book. The protagonist doesn't spend significant portions of time unconscious, but there are plot-forwarding devices that will piss her off :p

Am now reading W. Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge. Somehow I've never read any Maugham!

ugh. Every time a massive corporation buys a cool online tool it means they will be determined to monetize the site. Plus, I hate Amazon :blah:

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Now I want to read it.

Dammit.

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Finished The Portrait of a Lady today. Do not get the love for this book; I found Isabel Archer to be so uninteresting.

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

19. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

if you have not yet read the worst hard time read it now. esp if you live in a drought state. also recommend cherries in winter for the recipes and her grandma's good sense. was hard to sympathize with the author tho. she dunno hardtimes half as much as she feels she does.

20. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I used to read a lot of Jean Plaidy. I should pick up one of hers again.

That seems to be pretty much the general reaction from the writers and reading addicts I follow on the internet. Amazon swears nothing will change, but why buy a site like that if you don't intend to tie it to sales?

I'm with you; Henry James's work leaves me cold. I thought of you this evening in my lit class--one of my students is reading Moby Dick and is still surprised that she likes it. She expected it to be really boring. I told her that there are people who enjoy the book--just not everyone.

I finished The Way of All Flesh, my penance book for my lit class, and while I found parts of it very entertaining and sometimes genuinely LOL funny, a lot of it just made me cringe. I can see why Samuel Butler was afraid to have the book published during his lifetime; if I had written such a savage take on my family, I would have hidden the manuscript, too. Most satires have a certain empathy for the people being skewered, but this one? Nary a drop of sympathy for human failings, even his own.

I told the class that since it's midterm (for them) and I finished the book, I would read another one, so I'm thinking One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is the lesser of several other evils.

21. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Oh, I discovered Jean Plaidy as a young teen with an obsession with all things British history -- she was out of print at the time so it was to the library and used booksellers for me. It's been about a decade since I read her, but I recall especially loving the Queens of England series, with the first-person narrative. And the Tudor and Stuart series as well. And now I'm nostalgic.

22. zaphyre14

In yet another flashback to my youth, I have Kathleen Turner's reading of Elizabeth Peter's "Street of the Five Moons" goin in my car. It's abridged but well-done enough that I don't notice the cut-parts and the chase scene through the Italian gardens had me laughing out loud in morning traffic. My only quibble is that Turner's accent for Sir John is terrible. Still, I think this is pretty high on my list of all-time favorite books.

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Prancer,

That's great about your student; I hope she continues to like Moby Dick.

The Portrait of a Lady read is for a discussion class (last one tonight) led by the same instructor who did the Moby Dick reading group. The discussions themselves have been great; lots of people in the class and they are not shy about speaking up and contributing. The difference is, that while the class is great, when I get to the next reading assignment it all falls flat. In addition to thinking the book is a big dud, I am stunned by the fact that this is supposedly James' most popular work. Oh well, I'll see what comes up on The Center for Fiction calendar next.

24. genevieve

in my high school there was a fabled month long Moby Dick immersion in 11th grade english. the weird thing is that is was a project of one teacher, and I would swear there were two english teachers for that grade. The other sap was nowhere near as notorious, I guess. I barely remember Moby Dick, though. The other immersion project, about the Vietnam War, was far more interesting to me.

25. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I'm alternating new books with those I first read in my teens or at Uni. Currently I'm re-reading Moby Dick, then I'll move on to The Snow Child and then back to an old favourite, Gulliver's Travels. I've got a whole pile of new books, but also feel I'm becoming detached from those I read ages ago, so alternating them seems the best idea.

I know there are plenty of people who dislike Moby Dick, or find it boring, but for me it's a source of endless fascination.

26. PrincessLeppard

I just finished reading Ashfall, in which the supervolcano at Yellowstone blows up and wipes out most of the midwest. :p

It was a good story, but so much of it was predicated on the main character making bad decisions that it got a little frustrating. Food and water are scarce. The main character has been on the brink of starvation several times. But every time he found a large stash and a safe place, he'd be all, "NO I MUST FIND MY PARENTS."

Apparently, there is a sequel in which he AGAIN leaves a safe haven to GO FIND THE PARENTS.

Dude, they'd want you safe. Not wandering through ash and worrying about your next meal.

Meh.

27. genevieve

it's like Rose in the film Titanic - she keeps getting ways to get off the boat, yet flings herself back into danger, with squeaks of "Jack! Jack!"
    and he just dies in the end anyway, so what's the point innit

the Moby Dick talk this am made me think of The Scarlet Letter, which reminded me of reading the story from the other point of view. I swear there was a book called Arthur Dimmesdale that we read as a companion piece, but damned if I can find any information now about such a book existing.

28. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Don't know about any Arthur Dimmesdale, but I didn't read The Scarlet Letter until I was in my 30s or 40s and I thought it was a stunner, an absolute masterpiece. It's on my to be re-read list.

29. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

:lol: at spoiler tags for Titanic. :D

30. PrincessLeppard

I hate The Scarlet Letter so much, there aren't even words to describe. And I had to read it in high school, college AND grad school.

:scream:

And, yes, I fecking re-read it each time. Because I'm THAT student. Meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.