Books moral and immoral

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Speaking of book prize lists ... the longlist for the Giller Prize is up. Generally speaking I find the Giller winners and nominees more, um, readable than any of the other big literary prizes.

I'm already in the library queue for Y, will have to check out some of the other titles. I've read several of these authors, but not the nominated books/
  2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I have been going through re-reading Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries (always re-readable). But just downloaded biographies of Nelson Mandela and Julia Child onto the kindle that may get started tonight at work (if it's a slow work night)
  3. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I too am one with vampire books for a while as I just read Discovery of Witches. Yes, I know I'm a year late to that bandwagon. :yikes: :scream: :confused: As deliciously dreadful as Twilight is, it is high literature compared to its spinoffs. Bella is practically a card-carrying feminazi by comparison.

So, I decided to go with apocalyptic and am reading The Windup Girl. I think it would be great if I knew what the freaking hell was going on in the book. I figure after 150 pages in, you should have some basic idea about the layout of the book's universe, right?
  4. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The link didn't work, but this should.

And I would definitely recommend an e-reader. Much nicer than reading on your phone, and they're becoming so inexpensive!
  6. galaxygirl

Thanks for the correct link. I'm posting from my phone and I always have problems posting links.

I actually have a Nook but I'm considering getting a Kindle Paperwhite when it comes out. I think the Nook and the Kindle both have things they do better than the other so they'll complement each other nicely. The Kindle usually has better daily deals while the Nook has more library books available.
  7. Zemgirl

I considered the Nook - until I found out they don't sell them internationally. I did like that it was an EPub reader. I think you're right about them complimenting each other, especially now that the Agency model is being phased out and we'll likely start seeing more deals.

I'll stick with my Kindle Keyboard as long as it's working :)
  8. galaxygirl

The Nook edition of A Winter's Tale is $1.99 today. I apologize is advance if the link doesn't work. :shuffle:

Zem, glad the Kindle is working well for you. Have you seen the specs for the new Paperwhite? It looks really nice. I posted the link upthread (on my laptop so it should work. :))
    Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Zemgirl

It does look nice! But I can't justify buying a new device - have only had my Keyboard for a little over a year, and it works fine. I'm sure eventually it'll die, and then I'll upgrade to whatever looks best... I guess I'm no company's dream consumer :D

Paperwhite is not a great name.
  10. galaxygirl

It makes me think of White Out.
  11. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I'm loving the idea of the new lighted eink screens. Kobo has also announced theirs and I'll have to check it out in stores when it's released. But I do not need a new ereader, sigh.
  12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

So on the ridiculously long travel over to China I read all of Gillian Flynn's first book, Sharp Objects, and I think, in the end, I actually liked it better than Gone Girl. You can see that her writing's evolved somewhat between the two, but the ending of SO was better and the mystery came together in a much more believable fashion. I bought Dark Places too, so I'll get to that eventually. Right now I'm reading The Flander's Panel by Arturo PĂ©rez-Reverte. Really liking it so far.
  13. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Hmmm. I read Sharp Objects and thought it was interesting, but it did not make me particularly want to read Gone Girl. I've been debating whether to give it a try.
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ever heard of a novel called Marathon Man? Someone gave me a copy but I was wondering how good is it?!
  15. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

By William Goldman? Sure.

Never read it; seen the movie.

"Is it safe?" :scream:
  16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i loved it when i read it but it was many years ago
  17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to it now. :)
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am reading The 50 Greatest Mysteries of All Time compiled by Otto Penzler and picked up at a discount. I am the kind who reads introductions and this one was well worth reading: wonderfully snarky and unpretentious. I was surprised he didn't include anything by Christie and found out why. Her and a few other mystery writers' agents turned out to ask a much higher price than the anthology could afford. He actually names them all, all the greedy ones!

The first one is Poe's Purloined Letter. Who could fault this choice? But along with the big names like Poe and Conan Doyle, there are many unknown to me so I look forward to discovering them.

My Simenon arrives next week from amazon France. They take a loooooong time to ship, much slower than the British amazon.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  19. Nan

Nan Just me

I read the book and saw the movie. Enjoyed them both.
  20. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

That's been my experience with Amazon.fr as well. I try, whenever possible, to get foreign-language books from a US source. I often use Adler's in Evanston, IL.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks for that, will check them out. Amazon.fr is very annoying.
  22. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

De rien. I like Adler's. Although they're not a traditional brick-and-mortar bookstore, they would let me come into their warehouse and shop whenever I was in Evanston.
  23. galaxygirl

The Rules of Civility by Amor Towles is $2.99 for both the Nook and Kindle editions, today only.
  24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

As soon as I bitched about amazon.fr being slow, my book arrived! :)

I put the Best Mysteries on hold for a while and am into the 1st Maigret novel. Now I am starting to understand why Tinami dislikes him! While Poirot and Holmes have refinement along with their eccentricities, Maigret is rather working class. I am reading the novel called Pietr le Letton where Maigret is keeping an eye on a suspect in a luxurious hotel. Maigret sticks out like a sore thumb amid all the luxury despite his decent clothes; and the hotel staff can tell he doesn't belong. The hotel doesn't "digest" him. And to top it off, he snubs a hysterical and demanding billionaire's wife because he is ever-so-egalitarian. Now I get it. :p

Anyway, is this the French police way or do all detectives stake out dangerous international criminals all on their own? And make it obvious to said criminals as to provoke them? The international man of mystery, Pietr le Letton is well aware of Maigret who is watching him without trying to hide it. What's the point? Also, said criminal was arrested twice in two different countries and wasn't ever fingerprinted? :confused:

There's a chapter coming up called The Drunk Russian. I am looking forward to that.

I'd say it's worth the $2.99.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

It appears M. Simenon was a known antisemite, having authored 17 articles under the title "The Jewish Peril." Le sigh.
  26. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Yeah. When I found out what a homophobic twit Orson Scott Card is, it became very hard for me to recommend Ender's Game to my students.
  27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Edith Wharton would have to be struck off the school curriculum given her own anti-semitism.

With the right teachers, surely there's a lesson in the distinction between an author/composer/artist who expresses heinous beliefs within his/her work, like "A Birth of a Nation," authors whose literature/art displays none of the beliefs, and authors -- for Wagner wrote his own libretti -- for whom it's an ongoing argument about whether characters and/or themes represent their beliefs.

Adam Gopnik discusses the dilemma in, of all things, "The Table Comes First: France, Family, and the Meaning of Food."
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I will check out the Gopnik article, thanks! I don't believe in boycotting what I call 'the talented bigots.' Edith Wharton too? :(

So far it seems Simenon dislikes: Jews, Russians, Poles or any kind of immigrant, billionares' wives, hotel managers and certain policemen.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This Gopnik was a book that I spent months savoring and was :wuzrobbed when I finished.
  30. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I am now deeply into my reading of Moby-Dick. The first discussion class was great and the leader keeps e-mailing us links to items of interest. Meanwhile, 3 days ago the Moby-Dick Big Read started. One chapter per day is being read aloud and broadcast; each chapter is being read by someone different. I listened to Tilda Swinton read Chapter 1, and aside from mispronouncing forecastle, she was great. You can hear the 3 chapters broadcast so far at www.mobydickbigread.com.

At the end of all of this I might dislike the book as much as everyone else seems to; it's too early to say. However, one thing I can say is that I am not bored in the slightest; this is most definitely not curing my insomnia.

IceAlisa, I think you would enjoy this discussion group. We had so much to talk about at the first session that we ran out of time.
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Add Americans to the list of people Simenon disliked. That list is growing. :eek: There are well-written parts of the story but the glorious machismo of the silent and strong Maigret is overdone.

For instance, he gets shot--the bullet grazes his chest and ends up causing a superficial wound. Is he going to see a doctor to dress it? Take a day off? Nope. He soldiers on on his investigative mission, handkerchief balled up and pressed to the wound.

Now really...
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  32. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I'm back into Vampire mode with Jeannine Frost's "Once Burned." I've got to give Frost props for originality: the main character is a woman who was electrocuted as a child and survived but was left scarred and with the ability to channel electricity through her right hand and pick up psychic vibes from anything she touches. She's kidnapped by vampires who want to use her to track down the infamous Vlad the Impaler. Instead he frees her and takes her to his estate in Romania so she can help him track down whoever it is that wants to get him. And I'm only about 75 pages into the book. It does rocket right along. :)

I also have James Patterson's "Violets are Blue" going in the car which concerns a vampre cult leaving corpses around the country like confetti. I've jumped around the series a lot and now am filling in gaps so it's a little hard for me to remember just where this fits into the chronology, but since that mostly concerns Cross' many girlfriends, I don't worry about it too much. I don't know how the cops solve anything, though, given that they never seem to get more than three hours of sleep at a time and seem to go days without eating. Maybe they're the vampires... :)
  33. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I was ready to finally get this book when someone on twitter linked one of his many anti-gay articles, now I just can't do it. Everyone I know who's read it says it's a great book and I'm sure I'd agree, but I also know I would constantly be thinking about how awful he is while reading it. Saving myself the anxiety.
  34. galaxygirl

Ender's Game is awesome. Why is the author such a douche? :wuzrobbed

I have way too many library books to read. I'm reading Gone Girl which I'm enjoying but I'm really in a YA mood at the moment. I just finished Glimmer (sucked) and Unraveling (awesome!) and now I have the following books checked out. They all look so good but I can't read them all before they're due back and I don't know where to start. What to do, what to do...

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
    Shift by Kim Curran
    The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
    The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong
    The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
    Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
    A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

Right now I'm thinking either Something Strange and Deadly (steampunk zombies!) or The Space Between (the daughter of Lilith and Lucifer!)
  35. lulu

lulu New Member

I had no idea about Orson Scott Card, that's seriously depressing. I have not been to my library for the past 3 months, and I usually go once a week, so I'm looking forward to seeing what new books are available. I truly do enjoy just browsing through the new book section at the library or Barnes & Noble, getting an over priced coffee and spending the entire afternoon reading a book or two. :)

I just recommended "Dancing in the Glory of Monsters" to a friend, but I haven't read the book since it first came out, so maybe I'll re-read it when i get back to the states.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  36. Zemgirl

I don't want bigots, talented or otherwise, to get any of my money in the form of royalties. If the books are in the public domain, it doesn't bother me so long as the bigotry stays out of the book. But I can't read Georgette Heyer, for instance - some of her books have antisemitic content, and whether intentional or not, it makes me uncomfortable.
  37. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thank you! To be honest, I am very intimidated by Moby Dick but will check out the group. :)

I do my best to avoid bigots who are still alive but really can't stay away from Dostoyevsky, Hemingway et al. Never heard of Georgette Heyer, probably a good thing. :eek:
  38. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

If it makes you feel any better I thought it was overrated. :lol: Admittedly I'd read one of his rants before reading Ender's Game (got a second hand copy), but I'd also read the first book of Alvin Maker (which I read before the anti-gay rants) which I found to be somewhere between dull and outright bad.

This is pretty much my approach too. You have to be able to separate the artist from the artwork, but I'm not willing to give money to people who hold views I detest.
  39. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Thanks, yes. ;)
  40. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed because it was over or because it was bad?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.