Books moral and immoral

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Speaking of Nook, José Saramago's Blindness is the Nook Daily deal ($2.99). Definitely a good grab at that price.

2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

D'oh, you are right. And I get my e-book discount from using my credit card.

:slinkaway I'll just be....over there. Somewhere. Reading quietly.

3. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Prancer...was...wrong?

Prancer was wrong. :confused:

That sentence looks odd. I don't like this scary new world.

4. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Once upon a time I studied Latin, so I suppose I'm all set on that account. :lol:

Me neither. :yikes: The world shook for a moment!

Fallvatten was a very quick read and a very good one. :) I'm now reading Gillian Flynn's first book (Sharp Objects), but so far (at about 25%) I'm a bit meh about it.

I felt a bit sorry for myself yesterday and ordered Cloud Atlas, the newest Laini Taylor book and a hardcover version of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (I've pretty much loved my paperback copy to death). I should read Jeannette Winterson's Oranges are not the Only Fruit next, because I borrowed it from a friend who might want it back at some point. :shuffle:

5. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I read Sharp Objects a few weeks ago and agree it was a bit meh. There were bits of it I found interesting, some that were a bit too gruesome for my tastes, and I found the ending was all a bit too weird. I bought it in tandem with Dark Places, but haven't been rushing to read that one. I guess it took her a couple of books before she hit her stride with Gone Girl.

After it was mentioned in the LHOTP thread, I picked up The Wilder Life, which was very good, and that inspired me to go back and re-read some of the Laura Ingalls Wilder biographies that I have, which has been a lot of fun and reminded me of my desire to go visit all of the different LIW houses. Although what impressed me the most about The Wilder Life was that the author's boyfriend (or husband?) was willing to go on all of these adventures with her. That guy's a keeper!

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

And yet it's the 1990's and she creates the atmosphere of the 50s pretty relentlessly. Pancake make up--I don't think it was very popular in the 90s. There are other references that seem to be anachronistic: the names Bix, Biffy, Mildred, Trix, Edna Louise, Betsy, etc. Nary a Jennifer. What kind of names are these, JCO? Certainly not the names of the 90s. There were a couple of names she got right like Skyler and Tyler--these were popular back then but they are far and between. It was as if JCO didn't get out much in the 90s and just went by what she knew. But there were a couple of Michelle Kwan mentions so she wasn't that much under the rock after all.

And what's with her obsession with the lace panties female skaters wear under their costumes. They are not panties and they are certainly not lace. :rolleyes: I know why she is doing it but she is just wrong.

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Rot & Ruin and Dust and Decay are two pretty awesome zombie novels. And who doesn't love an awesome zombie novel? With the exception of Spinner? :p

8. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

:lol: Have some more coffee ;) That said, do you use the B&N Mastercard? If so their 5% back on all B&N purchases is a smart way to roundabout-ly discount ebooks. Never thought of that!

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Who named their child Mildred or Edna Louise anytime after 1956??

Didn't you say 1995 though? Was Kwan that big a name already in 1995? I thought 1996 was her breakout year? I was a kid then so I have no memory basis for when Michelle became well-known in first the FS world and then as a household name.

Yeah, that made me feel super awkward. It's not like there aren't enough gender stereotypes in figure skating already that should could have played with

10. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I do! Plus they send me gift cards regularly, which I use to buy MORE ebooks. :D.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Exactly. But then the story is based on JonBenet Ramsey and who names their kids JonBenet, ever? The little girl in the book is named Bliss, although her real name is Edna Louise.

I could be wrong but I think Kwan became prominent at about that time. I remember reading a (People?) article about tiny Michelle Kwan wanting to do those triple jumps in the mid-90's.

There's plenty of material in skating for her to use if she wants to make a point of sexualization, exploitation, etc., of female figure skaters. Why she is so hung up on the non-existent lace panties I don't know.

12. michiruwater

Man. That poor child :yikes: Good thing she's a fictional character.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i had a great aunt bliss, although i'm pretty sure it was a nickname. i *think* it was really elizabeth.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  14. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone read The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory? Trying to decide if I should buy it for my birthday

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I borrowed Divergent from a student and am planning on reading it this week. Seems similar in theme to Hunger Games and is also a 3 part series (not sure if all 3 are out yet, I know the first 2 are). Any opinions on it? I have read the first 7 chapters and it seems OK, easy to read and nothing making me roll my eyes yet. I haven't gotten to the meat of the story, though.

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Hipsters? :p I've seen some very retro names making a comeback, and Louise as a middle name isn't that unusual, I think.

Yes, but JonBenet is a different sort of awful name. Also, combining two names isn't unprecedented - Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands is named after both parents, and there's Renesmee in the Twilight books (I am ashamed that I know this); I read somewhere that it may be more common among Mormon families? I could be wrong on that.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

As a nickname for Elizabeth it's actually cute.

But get a load of this:
    How many things are wrong with this?

Dear JCO, I think you are an amazing writer and a national treasure. However, in figure skating "panties" don't peek or tease, they are IN YOUR FACE. :sasha1: And they are not panties.

I also wonder what judges' hearts you win with traveling spins. :shuffle:

USFSA was mentioned threatening to sanction Bliss' mom for letting her skate injured in a non-USFSA nor ISU sponsored event.

Here's more
    US Olympics, imagine that!

:wall: x 1,000,000. But I can't wait to see what she will come up with next. I will skate-dance this book to the end.

18. Zemgirl

Wait, does poor Bliss have to learn a new program for each competition? No wonder she finds skating so stressful. And with all those choreography and costume expenses (especially the lacy panties, are they sequined too?) it's clear that the Rampike family does, indeed, need some help covering the costs, or they'll be broke before she ever reaches junior.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:rofl: That's what I was wondering too. So many programs within a matter of weeks. And there was also a Spanish-themed program that involved a black lace mantilla later in the season. Said mantilla fell off her head at the end of the program as a wardrobe malfunction. I forgot which color lace panties (black?) were being flashed that time.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There was a lot of fluff during the 1994 Olympics about Kwan going to Lillehammer as first alternate, because it wasn't clear that Tonya Harding was going to be able to skate, and, of course, 1994 was the apex of the Nancy/Tonya epic. Here's an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3iOuWEP9Fc

From the little practice clip, you can see what a leap she made from 1994 to 1996.

In 1995, eyes were also on Nicole Bobek, who won bronze that year, with Kwan climbing from 8th to 5th the year before, when Bobek didn't make it out of qualifying.

21. my little pony

jco's editor could have made more of an effort as well. it's about as accurate as blades of glory and they were not trying for realism.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The thing is, if this involved football or baseball and the horrible things that go on there, you can bet your lace panties that the facts and the jargon would have been spot on.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

To go off on a little tangent, SSA doesn't have popular combinations of names except for twins, but individually, by decade:

• Edna went from 1547 in 1956 (ranked 206) to 679 in 1966 (ranked 344) to 276 in 1976 (ranked 588) to 173 (ranked 926) in 1986, and fell out of the top 1000 by 1996.
    • Louise went from 2242 in 1956 (ranked 165) in 1956 to 287 in 1966 (ranked 588) to 204 (ranked 719) in 1976 to 163 in 1986 (ranked 970), and fell out of the top 1000 by 1996.
    • Mildred went from 1637 in 1956 (ranked 200) to 352 in 1966 (ranked 658) to 239 in 1976 (ranked 650) to off the list in 1986.

The top names for each decade are:
    1956: Mary, 62K, 3%
    1966: Lisa, 59K, 3.24%
    1976: Jennifer, 57K, 3.78%
    1986: Jessica, 52K, 2.8%
    1996: Emily, 25K 1.31%
    2006: Emily, 21K, 1.02%

2011: Sophia, 22K, 1.12% and with Emily dropping by 1/3, but still Top 10.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. michiruwater

I don't know how you're still reading it. I don't think I could.

25. Zemgirl

I just realized that Bliss had a dazzling comeback at the age of five (or is it six?). What happened when she was four, did she tear her ACL practicing jump spins and skate dancing moves?

26. my little pony

the milkmaid cap blocked her vision while executing an exquisite glide, exposing her lace panties as she hit the boards

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She sprained her ankle.
    :lol:

28. Zemgirl

I liked my little pony's version better.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Me too. But hey, in her final performance Bliss executes some elements that actually exist: a spiral which is called "a butterfly" for some reason and a double toe-loop. Although there was a "dazzling backward glide", a "gyre" and the inevitable mention of the peekaboo panties. JCO is perserverating.

30. Zemgirl

A prodigy for sure! For the sake of comparison, here is a future world champion at age five. Also, seven year old Florent Amodio. Happily, no lace panties are involved.

Someone wrote a review on Amazon pointing out how inaccurate the skating parts were, and was told it was only fiction. That is so stupid; if you're going to set a fictional story in a real-world context, you should at least try to make it believable. I mean, this is the equivalent of writing a book about, say, a zombie invasion of Boston, only making Boston exactly like Miami.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.