Books moral and immoral

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadingirl

jadingirl Member

I read Foucault's Pendulum years ago and went to see the real pendulum when I was in Paris later on but the museum was under renovation and the pendulum had been taken down and stored (if I understand the security guard). So no pendulum viewing for me.

Howver, I could not get through the Island of the Day Before no matter how many times I tried - it was just beyond me or really boring - I was never sure which.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

3. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I have been buying free amazon ebooks. I am also reading a bunch of Erica Stevens right now. Interesting storylines...

4. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I don't like 19th century writing for the most part for that reason, although there are some exceptions.

Oooh, no, but thanks for the recommendation. I took a whole class on reference works at one point and we spent a lot of time talking about Webster's Third. I shall add this to my list, if for no other reason than to see why "ain't" is being used as an Americanism.

I cannot resist free books, but I need to do a major purge of my Nook because of my addiction. There are so many books on there I will never read but downloaded because they were free.

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I got to page 150 or so of Moby Dick and gave up. I just couldn't get into it.

6. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

I still thank blame you for telling me about Cheap e-Reads. (((my facebook wall))) The free books lets me try new stuff and I always have something available to read, but there's a good reason some of that stuff is free. :scream:

7. puglover

puglover Active Member

A thought someone mentioned getting an early release of the new Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston book - the latest for Pendergast. If someone has read it - what are your impressions?

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I posted them back a bit. Really good, with some unexpected surprises. But also, it leaves a lot of loose ends as well, and I thought this was supposed to be the final book in the trilogy.

:sekret: It has a sekret Nazi island in it. :sekret:

9. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

My recent reads:

-- The Chaperone by Lauren Moriarty. A Kansas wife & mother with time on her hands chaperones a young Louise Brooks during her first summer in NYC performing with Denishawn Dance Company. She has reasons of her own for wanting to make the trip since she ended up in Kansas when she was selected off an orphan train from NY. Flappers, hidden gay relationships, birth control, KKK in Wichita! Enjoyed reading this historical fiction by a writer I really like.

-- The Sometimes Daughter by Sherri Wood Emmons. A coming of age story about a girl growing up during the 70s-80s in IN with a "sometimes mother". Like Forrest Gump, our characters very conveniently encounter several historical events - Woodstock, Jim Jones & The People's Temple but I enjoyed it just the same.

10. lulu

lulu New Member

11. Prancer

Tell me about it! I stopped downloading every single thing and started filtering a bit more, but still--some of those books should not be called books. They should be more aptly labeled "Attempts at writing by people who really need to look into another field."

It's like downloading free music at Amazon--every now and then, you find a pearl. But most of the time, you get slime and sand.

Have you tried Nook Guy? Or Nonfiction on the Cheap? You might get a little more variety than paranormal romances in the Old West and Christian fiction :p.

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I have my own book on Kindle (not free, though, and also in paperback as I actually hate e-books) and I have had to stop going to the Kindle author boards (not the Amazon boards, different thing) because 99% of the posts are people talking about how awesome being an "Indie Author" is and how the old publishing houses are just the man trying to keep us down, man, and they don't appreciate new ideas. (No, they aren't always sure 'new ideas' can sell, but if that's their issue, you don't get a form letter--I've never actually gotten a form letter rejection, just a 'I liked reading it but it's not quite our niche.' You get the form letter when they have nothing nice to say and therefore don't say anything at all.) I would look at what some people were "publishing" and have to refrain from saying "Um, have you considered that perhaps it might be you?" And some people ARE publishing first, editing later...I quit visiting the boards.

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I normally won't buy a new hardback as money is so tight but I read the first paragraph of "The Yellow Birds" and read comments by other authors and had to buy it. This novelist is both an Iraq veteran and a poet and that is a potent combination imho.

15. Prancer

Dear Barnes and Noble:

I received your letter today informing me that my membership discount will no longer apply to Nook Books.

Well, that's a shame. Nearly all of my B&N purchases are Nook Books. And I have to spend more than $200 a year to make your membership worth having, which I don't think I will be doing any more under these conditions.

I find this particularly annoying since I just looked at book I want to buy and the Nook version of the book is more expensive than the print version, which happens rather often.

Farewell, membership of many years standing.

Signed,

Disgruntled Patron

16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I never encounterd Lowry as a child, and actually only read The Giver a few months ago. I liked it very much, partly because of the ambiguity of the ending. Though I do question the wisdom of that for children's/YA lit.

I didn't know there was a sequel, must check the library for it.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The only logical business reasons for this policy that I can think of are:

1. 20% cuts into their e-book margin more than it does into their physical book margin, despite the net costs of physical handing and distribution and the cost of running their stores vs. electronic storage, delivery, maintenance, permissions-related customer service issues. That includes any incremental value they attach to people browsing and buying more per purchase in a store, online or physical, over an online single purchase for an e-book, revenues from the membership (net of the cost of running the membership program) distributed over all sales under the program.

2. They're banking that it won't make a dent in membership fees and/or e-book sales.

Maybe it's step one in eliminating the Membership Program in the first place.

My first reaction was WTF?

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Read a whole bunch of books since my last post: Midnight in Peking by Paul French, The Snakehead by Patrick R. Keefe, The Real World by Natsuo Kirino, Americas's Queen (a Jackie Kennedy bio (scary scary stuff)), various annotated Austens, and some Maigret in French. Simenon's plots put JKR's to shame in terms of Swiss cheese-size holes.

Now I am reading JCO's My sister, my love based on the murder of JonBenet Ramsey but in the book the little girl is a figure skater and not a beauty queen. JCO is hilariously in no teknik when it comes to skating. The chapter with the pbp of Bliss (that's the little ice princess) skating competition is unintentionally hysterical for a skating fan even for a casual one. But the familiar themes of misogyny, exploitation, sex, shame and violence emerge. She really should have consulted someone about the skating commentary. :lol: Like FSU. We would have set her straight. :D

19. michiruwater

Can you give us an example? I am totally dying to hear the no teknik :lol:

20. Prancer

My guess (I am not a business person) is that they don't think it will make a dent in e-book sales, which, along with Nook sales, are keeping the company afloat, and thus they don't see the need to offer a discount on thei main source of profit.

Oh, well. My discount is good until my membership expires, which won't happen until next July. I will just have to take advantage of it until then. Woe is me, I HAVE to buy books :drama:.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

OK, here goes, michiru:
    I think I've had enough. Not responsible for the syntax, btw.

I assume "flying spin" is a flying camel. And a figure 8. I thought there were done with figures by then. I am guessing the "flying leap" may be the split falling leaf of Kwan's fame. I can't figure out what a jump spin is, why a traveling spin is a good thing and why a skater would wear black lace panties under her dress. On another occasion Bliss wore white lace panties. I see how it suits JCO's purpose as an example of sexualization of young children but it would have helped to be a bit more realistic. There's enough icky stuff going on in figure skating to feed her stories.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  22. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm torn between :rofl: and :scream:. I hope the rest of it is better than this, that was just painful and the tone sounds like it's set in the 1940s-50s, which it obviously isn't. I know people gush over JCO, but the few books I've tried by her didn't work for me at all and helped convince me to look to genre fiction. I guess I'm not high-brow enough for the literary stuff. ;)

Leaving aside the hilariously wrong descriptions of the skating, I have never heard of people so excited by a competition for five year olds (unless it's their parents).

Exactly.

Thank you for reading this so we won't have to.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I actually like her work and this is the typically weird and visceral JCO stuff so far. But she didn't do her due diligence when it comes to skating. And what a treasure trove of inspirational creepy/tragic/sexual/exploitative tales she would have uncovered there to inspire her! She only had to try. We are here. :shuffle:

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Lol maybe it served her writing to make up a lot of stuff rather than use real terms. watching some skating and then coming up with your own names for things just to make it yours. But why wouldn't she care to get it right?

25. Zemgirl

I'd have helped even though I dislike her writing ;)

As I wrote, I mainly read genre fiction and within that, romance. I won't deny there's a lot of poor writing and research in my preferred genre, too, but then the authors don't get the sort of acclaim for their work that literary authors do. And it is certainly possible to find beautifully written romance novels that are based on solid research - at the very least, I can't imagine any of the authors I like writing a description like that.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The only reason I can think of is that the commentator was clueless by intention. Remember the movie Best In Show and the clueless guy commentating, saying the most inappropriate, hilarious things while having no idea about the dogs being shown, the show rules, etc, in short was completely out of the loop? And suffering from severe foot-in-mouth disease? Maybe that's the type announcer she had in mind, someone freelancing, not really giving a flutz about skating. Just needed to hype the crowd for all the wrong reasons.

Or may be she was just feeling lazy.

27. Zemgirl

What, at such an important event as Miss Atlantic City Ice Capades 1995? :D

The tone of it was just so off; it sounded like something out of Hush Hush Magazine in Ellroy's LA Confidential, over the top and not of the time in which her story is set.

I suspect your second interpretation is the correct one - if she'd one the research, she'd have known that skating competition =/= beauty pageants, and that skating has its own share of problems, but they are not the same ones. If she wanted to include both stage parents and the sexualization of very young girls, then skating just wasn't the best choice; maybe she should have stuck with the original world of pageants. Though that would have been a bit too literal and unimaginative.

Of course, being JCO, she can do whatever she wants and plenty of people will still think it's amazing work. I suspect she's well aware of that, and does do whatever she wants. Which can be a good thing, but I don't think it was in this case.

28. michiruwater

Wow, I chuckled a little but mostly I just cringed. It really does sound like 1950 :yikes: Thanks for taking the time to type it up!

I would love it if it was meant to be in the style of Best In Show (God, thank you for reminding me of that, I need to go look that up later tonight!), but I also think she was just lazy - or possibly didn't understand whatever research she did do. I don't know. It's just not accurate even a little.

I love the idea of Donald Trump watched a skating competition for 5-year-olds though. It's so wtf.

29. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The writing style alone reminded me why I'd given up on JCO years ago. The skating description, however, is just bad. If I find it in a book sale cheap enough, though, it will go onto my shelf of Bad Skating Fiction, along with the classic "Skates for Marty" and a Nancy Drew mystery set at Nationals that had ladies, men and pairs all warming up on the same ice together just before the competition.

30. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

You got a member discount on ebooks? Are you sure it didn't say the discount on Nook *devices* was ending? Because that is the case in the timeframe you mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.