Books moral and immoral

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I will momentarily stop picking on Spinner for his taste in lit-ra-chur because he got me a copy of the new Agent Pendergrast novel. Which is currently unreleased.

:encore:

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

There is a word for you and it starts with a B and ends with an h.

:wuzrobbed:

Just for this, I hope that silly baseball team loses. And yes, I will be seething inside for two freaking months knowing you've read it and I haven't.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PrincessLeppard

4. Nan

Nan Just me

Thanks, Artemis@BC. :)

5. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I haz connectionz.

6. PrincessLeppard

Helen is still alive.

Poop.

;)

7. rfisher

But, for how long? :sekret:

8. PrincessLeppard

9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Dear Prancer

We're pleased to tell you that you are eligible for gift certificate credits thanks to recent legal settlements between States Attorneys General and three eBook publishers. Barnes & Noble was not a party to the settlements but as a NOOK® customer, you can take advantage of the benefits agreed to by the settling publishers.

More free books! :cheer2:

10. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

I got that email too and meant to ask Spinner if it was a scam.

11. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

A friend at work is moving, and giving away most of her posessions, and she gave me a copy of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I remember how many here loved it, and I've been planning to pick it up, but I've never seen it at bargain books or book sale, where I pick up most of what I read. And now I know why-

People don't give up their copies- they save them to read again. What an engrossing and beautifully written book. It seems very odd that they shelve it only in the YA section, because it is an adult book about a child, that YA readers will probably also enjoy.

I don't usually read Holocaust stories, because they are so unbearably painful, but the constantly spoilering narration of Death is making it so I don't have to worry about people's fate, I can just read along as events unfold.

12. rfisher

I was going to start :mitchell: but when I hurried off to check my email, I have one also. :cheer2:

13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Funny, I was going to start The Book Thief tonight as well!

14. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

No, I read about the lawsuit settlement a few days ago. Amazon sued some publishers for price fixing e-books; Amazon customers were given credits and I was thinking, "Too bad B&N isn't part of it," but it appears they are.

I have a Kindle app, too, so wheeeeeeeee.

15. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I read the Swedish translation and it was rather good. Loved the book as a whole. :) I think I ended up giving it 5 stars on Goodreads, although I'd probably give it 4½ if they did ½ stars. ;)

:shuffle: One of the Swedish books I probably should've read.

However, I have been reading Swedish UF (!?) by Nene Ormes, starting with Udda Verklighet, which is described as a sort of Swedish Neverwhere, taking place in Malmö. It's not as good as Neverwhere (which is still my favourite Gaiman book after all these years), but I was pleasantly surprised (in no small amount because Malmö is one of my least favourite cities :shuffle:) and picked up the second part right away. :)

16. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

It's been in my TBR pile for awhile too. Maybe I'll move it up a bit ;)

17. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I know earlier people were talking about The Rules of Civility by Towles. I'm in the middle of it at the moment. At first, the writing style annoyed me (lack of quotation marks and speaker attribution), but I've gotten past that and am really enjoying the story. I still think the book works better in the prose sections than in the dialogue though.

18. PrincessLeppard

Three words: Sekret Nazi Island. :sekret:

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Someone on this thread recommended Nell Freudenberger's The Newlyweds several weeks ago (or maybe even months ago) so I'd made a note on my wishlist and just started reading it now. I'm about 1/3 in and it's excellent so far. Freudenberger's writing style and character development reminds me a lot of Maeve Binchy, who is one of my favourite authors. It's a fairly quick read and I'm eager to see how it turns out, so I'll probably end up finishing it tonight...in fact, I really shouldn't have started reading it in bed last night, as I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep even though it's not a suspense-genre novel.

20. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm about 100 pages into The Twelve by Justin Cronin. And I am now prepared to take back the criticisms I'd previously made about The Passage -- i.e., that it needed a structural edit. The Twelve makes the structure of The Passage make sense. And, so far, it is very, very good.

21. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

As predicted, I finished The Newlyweds last night (kept reading it through all of the commercial groups and warm-ups during skating :D) This is why I have to go through phases where I don't read at all...everything else gets through to the side when I get into a good book. Anyway, I give the book an overall thumbs up, with only two criticisms, (1)
    The cousin-loving squicked me out a bit, even if the cousin was adopted
    and (2) I felt like the book ended before the story was complete and I would have liked knowing what happened a little further down the road.

Trying to decide what to read next, since I'm spending most of my Sunday flying for work, so I should have time to get through one book. On my e-reader, I have Gillian Flynn's other two books (Dark Places and Sharp Objects) after I liked Gone Girl so much and also E.M. Delafield's Late and Soon, which I think was also a recommendation from this thread.

22. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

I finally progressed with Tolkien works. So far I have read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and am now in the middle of The Fellowship of the Ring.

I can say that I absolutely adore Silmarillion. Reading this books is just like travelling yourself to the fantasy world. Hopefully they will make a movie based on it some day.

The Hobbit is great and I am curious what it will look like as a movie. Less than a month before the premiere anyway :)

LOTR itself is quite an easy reading after the first two books, because it's just simply interesting and intriguing and I now know the background of it all :)

23. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I liked Sharp Objects, enough to read it in one go on a really long plane ride. Haven't read Dark Places yet.

After reading reviews on it, I decided to buy Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson and started that today instead of The Book Thief. I tried to read it when I was, like, 11, and now I see why I couldn't do it then :p. Not terribly far in but I really like it so far :)

24. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Still working on The Worst Hard Time but also reading one called The Bedlam Detectiveon my Kindle. Yesterday received a copy of the new Kate Morton novel, The Secret Keeper. Really looking forward to it.

25. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I recently bought Room to read on a cross-country plane trip. The comments here about reading it straight through made that seem like a good idea. It was, except for two things: (i) my nook battery died about 3/4 of the way through :rolleyes: and (ii) my neighbor probably wondered why I kept crying :lol: . This was last week, but I've been so swamped that I only got around to reading the rest of it last night.

26. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Treated myself to some Catherynne M. Valente books (The Habitation of the Blessed and The Folded World) for my birthday, even if I won't have time to read them for awhile (moving house). I got seriously stuck trying to read the first Brandon Sanderson written WOT book, and feel like I need something beautiful and complex to look forward to. I'm not sure what I expected with the WOT book, of course it's going to be different in style, it's another author, but I find it really, really jarring. I'm hoping I'll get used to it eventually.

27. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

28. rjblue

I'm trying to read the 100 "best" SF novels, and I'm picking them up whenever I see them at book sales. I read Red Mars a month or so ago, and found it just okay. I never really cared about any of the characters. SF is by far my favourite genre, and I don't like holocaust centered novels or accounts (too painful), but The Book Thief is going on my all-time favourites list, next to Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, Ender's Game, The Kitchen God's Wife, Cordelia's Honour, and The Foundling.

29. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

30. rjblue

More bad PR for the Kindle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.