Bolzano Ice Gala on dec 29th

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ioana, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

2. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Usually it is broadcasted also by Italian television - not live, but at the beginning of January - so maybe some videos will be on youtube...
    I am still wondering whether Hanyu is coming or not: he had been announced, but then he has been removed from the cast... :(

3. mathil

mathil Active Member

He's still in Japan, so probably not. He got sick at the Final (from mental pressure/stress), and said that after Nationals he would take some time off to rest.

4. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I went to the gala yesterday!

Hanyu was not there, Machida was. I guess Hanyu was still sick. The gala was rather meh :eek:, lots of mistakes by many of the skaters. Highlights were definitely Adam and Carolina who rocked the house!

Akiko was totally off, I don't know what is going on with her but after seeing her skate I thought something has got to be wrong with her. She didn't manage to land any jumps, her first program included a 2flip with a step out and a messed up 3toe. In her second program she fell on all of her jumps including a double axel. It was worrying to see because she is usually so consistent with her jumps and I really hope she is not injured :(

Fumie was, well to be honest, quite embarassing. Her two programs basically consist of her taking her clothes off, some posing and a messed up jump here and there. I give her credit for doing what she loves but she should really not be booked for shows anymore.

Joubert was ok, he skated to the Gladiator and to a French song, but he failed to exite like he used to imo. Lots of two-footed skating. Marchei skated well, she hit all of her jumps (barely) but you could really see the improvement in her basic skating. Machida was charming, he even landed a great 3axel in his second program!

Adam was a total delight. I have never seen him skate live and I didn't really get all the gushing over him. For me, he looked quite slow on TV. But live is a totally different story. He is so light on his feet and just flies around the rink. All of his movements are spot on from head to toe and his jumps looked exquisite. He did two beautiful 3Ripponlz! What a lovely skater to watch - I have become a real fan and hope he will get his 3axel under control as it is really holding him back.

Carolina skated her new short which is just amazing! It is packed with choreography and the difference between her and the other skaters at this event was so obvious. She is just on another level. Her second number was it's "Oh So Quiet" by Björk. She hit all of her jumps in both programs and looked very happy to be there as it is basically where she comes from.

I enjoyed the gala but compared to past years it was rather :blah:

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the gala, but I'm kind of :confused: as to the expectation that GALA programs should be packed with transitions/difficult choreography/jump variations. Since when are exhibition performances judged as though they are competitive programs?

For me at least, when a skater comes to a gala and skates a competition program, that's kind of disappointing. I think of galas as an opportunity to try things you might not do in competition, whether technically or stylistically, not as a situation in which skaters should demonstrate their mastery of all things IJS.

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I thought Brian was ill.

7. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Brian (and Fumie and Adam plus others like Berton/Hotarek, Valentina Marchei, Peter Liebers and Sarah Hecken) are also skating tonight at the gala in Oberstdorf, it is shown live on German eurosport at 8 pm.
    I think Brian just had a cold around nationals but that was 2 weeks ago.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for sharing your review, jiggs!

Here's the thread in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?86235-Obertdorf-New-year-gala

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reports, everyone. Hopefully, Akiko gets some rest before 4CC and Worlds and comes back to :kickass:

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Officially, Joubert was sick with the flu around the time of Nationals - but he also wanted/needed time off to work on a new LP. Either way, it was nothing serious and he's been doing/is scheduled to do a bunch of galas - Courchevel, Bolzano, Oberstdorf, and some other stuff in France.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

12. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

WOW Adam! He looks to be in terrific shape. Wishing him the best at US Nationals and I hope he makes the World Team.

Thanks for the videos Sylvia!